The Student Room Group

Finland have education spot on, our system is akin to child abuse

here is no evidence that homework increases academic attainment. But there is clear evidence that it just doesn’t work.
The University of New York found that intensive schooling produced no impact on cognitive ability. That’s because memorising masses of arbitrary information you will never need in the real world will never make you an intelligent person.

It’s rigged, it destroys politics and turns kids into criminals.
The strongest predictor of academic success in our society is class. That’s because if your poor, you are more likely to go to a broken state school where you are more likely to get lead down the wrong path. How can somebody be a Politician if they’ve never known a challenged person in their life. That’s what private schools do, they detach the people who run society, from society.

It fails to prepare people for the real world. You look at what’s going on in the graduate market place, people who have spent their entire lives in school and university are graduating into insecure employment. Because you don’t learn to think critically, work independently, and face real practical problems in school. Its taking your time and money so it can make you unemployable.

And its destroying your only life. You are so lucky to be alive, life is a one in infinity cosmic accident and school forces you to spend your best years being brainwashed so you spend all day everyday doing nothing of worth is normal. Intensive schooling isn’t just associated with depression and obesity, it causes suicides.

Millions of years of evolution did not set you up for this, It doesn’t take an expert to figure out that sitting down all day ruins your health. It’s abuse.

We have a stagnant economy because school does not prepare people for the challenges of globalisation.
We have a health crisis because most people had their well being destroyed during their youth.
Our politics is a bipolar disaster because of the divides that school perpetuates.
School is everything wrong with society.

You know Finland doesn’t have these problems, because Finland has rejected the fundamental principles of school. They’ve replaced it with something called education, and apparently it works, because they have empirically the best system in the world, they are living proof.
In Finland, homework is replaced with proper teaching. Social divisions are replaced with meritocracy. Unnecessary information is replaced with vocational training and professional development. Wasted time, is replaced with healthy activity. Abuse, is replaced with education. Education should prepare you for the real world, inspire you to love academia, prepare you for apprenticeships if you don’t, and allow you to live a fulfilling and healthy life. School, makes you less employable, less happy, and no more intelligent. Its abuse.
What about the overworked children of Singapore and south Korea, they're doing pretty well academically despite the rigorous work involved at school.
Imo the UK's poor position in academic leagues is simply because of poor gov policy, they lower the standards year on year while making it impossible to enjoy being a teacher there.
It is assumed that learning can only be done in a formal environment.
[video="youtube;XQ_agxK6fLs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ_agxK6fLs[/video]
Original post by shawn_o1
What about the overworked children of Singapore and south Korea, they're doing pretty well academically despite the rigorous work involved at school.
Imo the UK's poor position in academic leagues is simply because of poor gov policy, they lower the standards year on year while making it impossible to enjoy being a teacher there.
You assume that the children of Singapore and South Korea aren't happy.
Yep UK education system is broken because of the government not definitely because of people from minority backgrounds disrupting lessons and making teaching a pain in the back.
Meaning, less qualified people taking up the teaching profession which means lack of quality education for students that is why the UK is so low in rankings.

It all boils down to immigration.
Its because of the welfare state- the UKs system and economy means parents have to go to work not long after their child(ren) is born. As a result, children start school at a younger age than those in Finland.

Sure, the education system in the UK isn't great/effective but I personally wouldn't class education here as "child abuse"
Original post by 04MR17
You assume that the children of Singapore and South Korea aren't happy.

The anxiety levels and suicide rate among the youth of those countries are well documented. Google throws up an article by the Straits Times (the sg newspaper) about this. I'm from said country and my mum knows some cases personally.
I liked doing homework - I had no problem with my education. I now have a 2:1 degree and a postgraduate qualification :smile: and before you ask, yes I was state school educated.

I'll tell you what is a waste of time in school. Teachers having to deal with disruptive children, which in turn disrupted my education. They should just be kicked out, and deal with the consequences.

This could be avoided with proper parenting which is lacking so much in today's society. I see very poor parenting on a daily basis.

and classing it as 'child abuse' is simply stupid. How dare you equate it to actual abuse of children.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1
The anxiety levels and suicide rate among the youth of those countries are well documented. Google throws up an article by the Straits Times (the sg newspaper) about this. I'm from said country and my mum knows some cases personally.
I had know way of knowing this from your first post.
the main difference seems to be that private education is illegal
I wouldn't compare school to child abuse as that is definitely a bit extreme...but I do agree that Finland's education system is miles better than ours. And I also agree with what you said about homework.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending