The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance to transfer to a better University?

So a bit of background:

I did quite poorly in my A-Levels (ACC) due to a lack of discipline and not taking my education very seriously at the time (plus I was bullied, which didn't help).

These grades really caused me to wake up and take my life more seriously.

I was so thrown aback by these results that I only applied to Universities that I knew I could get into - so they were nothing special (think mid-upper league tables, non-RG) and I didn't apply to a single 'risky' choice.

I have just finished my first term at University, studying Computer Science, and have taken my studies very seriously (and loved every minute of it).

I received my January exam results back last week and was top of the class, with an average of 92%.

Since then, I have been reading online about transferring to other Universities. However, I'm really concerned that I won't be able to get into a better University, because of my poor A-Levels.

Everyday I regret not trying harder during Sixth Form, but does that simply mean I am screwed now, regardless of my University exam results (plus a strong CV)?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TryingToImprove1
So a bit of background:

I did quite poorly in my A-Levels (ACC) due to a lack of discipline and not taking my education very seriously at the time (plus I was bullied, which didn't help).

These grades really caused me to wake up and take my life more seriously.

I was so thrown aback by these results that I only applied to Universities that I knew I could get into - so they were nothing special (think mid-upper league tables, non-RG) and I didn't apply to a single 'risky' choice.

I have just finished my first term at University, studying Computer Science, and have taken my studies very seriously (and loved every minute of it).

I received my January exam results back last week and was top of the class, with an average of 92%.

Since then, I have been reading online about transferring to other Universities. However, I'm really concerned that I won't be able to get into a better University, because of my poor A-Levels.

Everyday I regret not trying harder during Sixth Form, but does that simply mean I am screwed now, regardless of my University exam results (plus a strong CV)?

Some employers will need your A levels but most will be more concerned about your degree. You can transfer but I would finish the first year and go with all your grades in hand so that's what they will go on rather than your A levels. You may have to apply through UCAS. Contact unis you want to transfer to first and find out what the process is and if they can take you.
Original post by alleycat393
Some employers will need your A levels but most will be more concerned about your degree. You can transfer but I would finish the first year and go with all your grades in hand so that's what they will go on rather than your A levels. You may have to apply through UCAS. Contact unis you want to transfer to first and find out what the process is and if they can take you.

I'm not too concerned about employers, because as mentioned my CV is genuinely very strong for my age. However, I just don't know whether there is any possibility of transferring to somewhere like KCL despite my weak A-Levels?

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of them considering me for a transfer?

Would they consider doing it on the condition that I get a First overall in my first year?

I realise the above questions would be better pointed towards King's directly, but I want to maximise my chances before I approach them.
I'm not too concerned about employers, because as mentioned my CV is genuinely very strong for my age. However, I just don't know whether there is any possibility of transferring to somewhere like KCL despite my weak A-Levels?

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of them considering me for a transfer?

Would they consider doing it on the condition that I get a First overall in my first year?

I realise the above questions would be better pointed towards King's directly, but I want to maximise my chances before I approach them.

The best possible grades will help yes but there are other factors which Kings will take into consideration such as space on the course which only they can tell you about. And employers may have grade cut offs which if you don't meet will affect your chances irrespective of your age. Relevant work experience may help mitigate that but there are some employers that won't budge.
Original post by alleycat393
The best possible grades will help yes but there are other factors which Kings will take into consideration such as space on the course which only they can tell you about. And employers may have grade cut offs which if you don't meet will affect your chances irrespective of your age. Relevant work experience may help mitigate that but there are some employers that won't budge.

Thanks for all this useful information.

When I reach out to King's, do you think it's appropriate to mention the reasons (not excuses) for my poor A-Levels; which were a lack of application combined with being bullied throughout Sixth Form?
Thanks for all this useful information.

When I reach out to King's, do you think it's appropriate to mention the reasons (not excuses) for my poor A-Levels; which were a lack of application combined with being bullied throughout Sixth Form?

I wouldn't no. Those will come across as excuses as they aren't extenuating circumstances. Your referee can mention them when you apply. Keep everything positive including your PS when you apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending