The Student Room Group

Physics foundation year?

I have applied to study a physics foundation at university. I have applied for foundation because at AS level, I got a U in maths. I'm wondering if this will limit my offers, as the issue isn't that I didn't study maths at all.
It might - maths is very important for physics and they will wonder why you didn't do well in it at AS. While some may accept that a lack of maturity and clarity of ambition can hold students back even in relevant areas, again - many will be wanting to know if you'll struggle as much doing the Maths in their foundation year, which will be more intensely programmed and more scope for falling behind if you don't keep up.

If there are extenuating circumstances however it's likely that it will be disregarded.
There are no entry requirements for a foundation year at many Universities so you just need to show enthusiasm for the subject in your personal statement and in interview.
Original post by alwaysfergy
There are no entry requirements for a foundation year at many Universities so you just need to show enthusiasm for the subject in your personal statement and in interview.

That isnt true at all, for mature students other tests are normally done (given by the uni) as an alternative requirement but for anyone taking/recently taken a-levels they are just given an offer based on their alevels
Reply 4
Just a warning, as a first-year Physics student. The maths is really intense, Obviously, the foundation year will help you get up to speed on the maths front, but you will have to do a lot of work as the maths gets hard fast. For perspective, my problem book says something along the lines of "You may find the pre-university textbooks for modules M3-M5 useful for the basic parts of the course."
Reply 5
Thanks everyone :smile: I've applied now and had offers from Loughborough, UCLan, Keele and Sheffield- I was rejected by Manchester. I've accepted Loughborough as my firm choice, but I'm worried about how difficult I'm going to find maths at university
Reply 6
Original post by AmyS11
Thanks everyone :smile: I've applied now and had offers from Loughborough, UCLan, Keele and Sheffield- I was rejected by Manchester. I've accepted Loughborough as my firm choice, but I'm worried about how difficult I'm going to find maths at university

Glad to hear you got many offers. Why did you get a U in AS maths though? Was it really hard? I'm starting Chemical Engineering with foundation at Sheffield this September.
how did it go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending