The Student Room Group

Cardiff computer science maths

I’m starting computer science at Cardiff in September and I’m worried about the maths aspect of the course. I was wondering if anyone doing the course at Cardiff currently can tell me if the course is either more maths or programming intensive? As I know cs courses can vary. I didn’t do maths at alevel and I worry that I will struggle compared to people who have.
Original post by TcS Leebs
I’m starting computer science at Cardiff in September and I’m worried about the maths aspect of the course. I was wondering if anyone doing the course at Cardiff currently can tell me if the course is either more maths or programming intensive? As I know cs courses can vary. I didn’t do maths at alevel and I worry that I will struggle compared to people who have.

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2018/computer-science-bsc

I've had a look here and the maths that is covered is alright because there are a million resources out there, on YouTube for example.

It covers things like trig, factorisation, vectors, dot products etc which are all part of A-level maths, so it just takes practice :smile: compared to students who took it, all that means is that you will spend a few extra hours practicing it to master it.

It also says that you work along with the maths by using coding. I imagine it will take some work but it won't be beyond you by any means, and if the university thought it was they wouldn't of admitted you.

Also factor in it doesn't actually require you to have A-Level math. That is a clue as to how much math you will need to do. Like KDB says, people who have A-Level maths will probably get away with doing a bit less work than you but if the maths was that intense the university would have A-Level math as a requirement.

The final thing I will say is that beyond the 1st year there doesn't seem to be too much that is overly mathematical on the course. And bear in mind that the "Maths for Computing" course is only 10 credits, and your final classification is usually only worked out over your final 2 years. So even if you just scrape by it won't hurt you're final award much.

All that considered, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
TSR keeps messing up and disconnecting when I try posting the reply :frown:

I'm a 2nd year computer science student at Cardiff :smile:

First year is mostly GCSE Maths, which means statistics, probably and basic algorithms. You shouldn't have much trouble with that.

Second year is more maths heavy but most of the really maths heavy modules are the optional ones, so if you really struggle with maths, you can skip those. The required ones are mostly based on algorithms and data structures. This means what you learn is things like sorting and path finding algorithms and time and space efficiency of such things.

An important thing to note though is that when they teach things that I mentioned, they teach it from the begining. No assuming that you already know it. So sure, if you've done A level maths, it's probably more of a reminder. But if you haven't done it, you get the chance to learn.

Another thing to note is that all modules I've had so far are partly coursework based. Some will be 50% coursework 50% exam. Some will be more exam based. But even the maths heavy modules will have 20-30% coursework. So you have a chance to get some points applying the concepts usually in a programming way using any resources you have access to.

University also runs maths workshops open to all students. You can drop in and say what you need help with and someone will help explain it to you. So support is there if needed.

If you have any more questions or want me to expand on something, feel free to drop me a message :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Devify
TSR keeps messing up and disconnecting when I try posting the reply :frown:

I'm a 2nd year computer science student at Cardiff :smile:

First year is mostly GCSE Maths, which means statistics, probably and basic algorithms. You shouldn't have much trouble with that.

Second year is more maths heavy but most of the really maths heavy modules are the optional ones, so if you really struggle with maths, you can skip those. The required ones are mostly based on algorithms and data structures. This means what you learn is things like sorting and path finding algorithms and time and space efficiency of such things.

An important thing to note though is that when they teach things that I mentioned, they teach it from the begining. No assuming that you already know it. So sure, if you've done A level maths, it's probably more of a reminder. But if you haven't done it, you get the chance to learn.

Another thing to note is that all modules I've had so far are partly coursework based. Some will be 50% coursework 50% exam. Some will be more exam based. But even the maths heavy modules will have 20-30% coursework. So you have a chance to get some points applying the concepts usually in a programming way using any resources you have access to.

University also runs maths workshops open to all students. You can drop in and say what you need help with and someone will help explain it to you. So support is there if needed.

If you have any more questions or want me to expand on something, feel free to drop me a message :smile:

Thanks for all of your replies guys. Devify could you tell me more about the course? are the lectures good? what are the computer labs like? im also looking at getting a new laptop or desktop do i need any specific specs?
Reply 5
Thanks for all of your replies guys. Devify could you tell me more about the course? are the lectures good? what are the computer labs like? im also looking at getting a new laptop or desktop do i need any specific specs?

Like any place, you'll have lecturers that are more interesting and ones that are a bit dull. Plus it depends on the subject. But they all explain their topics and since it is a research university, most modules are taught by people who do research in that area.

We also get tutorial and lab sessions for most modules. So basically to help you understand what was explained in the lecture and have a chance to practice with someone there to help you.

Computer labs are pretty good. There are windows labs with around 100 computers, Linux labs with around 50 and Mac labs with around 15-20. Those are all free 24/7 access to students. As long as there is no really busy labs session happening, you can come in and work in any of those. The computers are upgraded every 3 years too.

There's also a forensics lab. So a high spec computer lab that is connected to a separate network so you can use security tools and run viruses on without accidentally messing with the university network. You're only allowed in with supervision but in second year you have timetabled lab sessions in there.

Since you have the labs available 24/7, you don't actually really need a laptop or a computer of your own for the course. You can just work in the labs. So if you do want to get one, I suggest you take a couple of weeks on the course and decide then. I have a pretty high end one myself that I love, but I got it because I had a scholarship and do things like teaching and freelance work so it's nice to have something I can bring with me to those events.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending