The Student Room Group

Differentiation question involving Tangent and Normal

Find the co-ordinates of the point where the tangent to the curve y=x^2+1 at the point (2,5) meets the normal to the same curve at (1,2).

I've seen the method on how to do it but I'm confused by the 'normal to the same curve' bit. If it's a normal to the same curve, wouldn't the co-ordinates be the same as that of the tangent given a tangent only passes a curve at 1 point??
Original post by dont know it
Find the co-ordinates of the point where the tangent to the curve y=x^2+1 at the point (2,5) meets the normal to the same curve at (1,2).

I've seen the method on how to do it but I'm confused by the 'normal to the same curve' bit. If it's a normal to the same curve, wouldn't the co-ordinates be the same as that of the tangent given a tangent only passes a curve at 1 point??

Not sure what you mean exactly, but clearly not.

Determine the intersection point between the green and the purple line, as this is what the question is asking for.
Original post by dont know it

The tangent is at the point (2,5) on the curve

The normal is at the point (1,2) on the curve.

They intersect at ??
Original post by ghostwalker
The tangent is at the point (2,5) on the curve

The normal is at the point (1,2) on the curve.

They intersect at ??

Got it now. Thanks.
Original post by RDKGames
Not sure what you mean exactly, but clearly not.

Determine the intersection point between the green and the purple line, as this is what the question is asking for.

Thanks for the helpful diagram. Got it now!

Quick Reply

Latest