The Student Room Group

Should i decline my offer from Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Might sound a bit harsh here - but personally I would take the Cambridge offer. Student loans are the best rate of any loan you'll get ever, and pretty much no one ends up paying them back - so cost shouldn't put you off from going there. At the end of the day, people will see you have a degree from Cambridge - they will not care in what or how, as long as you've passed it, unfortunately we live in a world where just having the uni name on your cv opens more doors. Not to say Edinburgh is a bad uni but doesn't have the 'name factor' that Oxbridge does. Additionally, don't make this decision based on your girlfriend - maybe you'll do the long distance amazingly and you'll get married or whatevs and have some kids happy ever after... but maybe you'll be like most of the people i know who drifted apart as they matured and you don't want to regret / resent for not taking the opportunity.

You've already gotten in. That was a huge achievement. Go for it. they are more likely to accept one of their own onto their masters courses as they'll know you and know your work ethic etc. In a job interview if theres one guy thats internal to the company, one thats new - same qualifications - they're gonna pick the one that knows the system already, who they know is on board with the style etc that fits them better.

If you and your gf are meant to be she'll understand - if not, then you've saved yourself a lot of future problems - anyone who gets P'''y at you when you are achieving and doing well isn't someone worth having in your life - they should want you to take all the opportunities and do well.

(Im a girl before everyone starts saying ugh omg guys always say ditch the girlfriend - Im not saying that, I'm saying long distance can work if you are prepared to work for it - just don't ditch such an achievement just because your gf held herself back a year - regardless of her reasons, and I doubt you were the only reason she stayed back a year.)

speaking as someone who has done both BA and Bsc degrees, a lot of life experience (I'm a heck of a lot older than most on here!) and having studied at a redbrick uni and a more vocational uni - you have to do what works for you at the end of the day - the fact you've messaged on here suggests you want to take the Cambridge offer but are afraid of upsetting your gf... talk to her and explain how this is a once in a lifetime opp (which it is!)
Original post by scottsmith
Untitled.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help. I will keep you guys updated yearly on my situation if you guys want :smile:

OK, now I'm a bit curious. In post #8 of this thread, waayyyy back on page 1, you stated that you had an offer from Edinburgh for second year entry. So why are you accepting on offer for first year entry?
Original post by ageshallnot
OK, now I'm a bit curious. In post #8 of this thread, waayyyy back on page 1, you stated that you had an offer from Edinburgh for second year entry. So why are you accepting on offer for first year entry?

I original applied through UCAS for first year entry, then emailed them asking if i can go to second year. They said if you achieve the necessary grade, then during academic advising they will change me to 2nd year.
Original post by emmaross00
Bit harsh :/, it his choice

I agree, it is entirely his own decision and it does not hurt anyone. It's a personal life choice that has taken a lot of time to decide with multiple factors involved (most of which, as outsiders, we are not privy to). I respect the OP's choice to do what is right for him (which in this case is going to Edinburgh).

It takes a lot of courage to do what is right for you even when others are telling you not to, and that is admirable. Plus, even if it were hypothetically a bad decision (which it isn't - Edinburgh is great), it would not have any significant impact on eg employment prospects or career, as a bright maths grad from Edinburgh will have plenty of opportunities. :yep:

And as Doonesbury noted, it is not kind to personally wish ill on the OP or his girlfriend. It adds nothing to the conversation and reflects on the responder more than anything for being cruel and without tact. I do not know if I am alone in this, but the thread could do with more positivity - after all, I'm sure some of us are looking forward to hear what happens to the OP and his experiences in Edinburgh. :smile:

tl;dr live and let live
(edited 6 years ago)
If you decline the offer, I will personally go to your house and slap you so hard that you will forget that you even have a gf.
I original applied through UCAS for first year entry, then emailed them asking if i can go to second year. They said if you achieve the necessary grade, then during academic advising they will change me to 2nd year.

What's 'academic advising'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RenéDescartes
If you decline the offer, I will personally go to your house and slap you so hard that you will forget that you even have a gf.

I guess you will have to follow through with that promise now :wink:
Reply 187
DONT DECLINE YOUR OFFER YOU MAY NOT GET IN THE NEXT TIME ROUND. I applied to Kings College London back in 2017-2018 and I got accepted for a foundation course but I decided to wait another year to apply to direct entry medicine and they rejected me. I know its not the same circumstance with you but anyone would kill to get into Cambridge. I am sure your girlfriend will understand.
I think the recent people replying may not have seen the above: he chose Edinburgh (see the UCAS screenshot of the firmly accepted offer). :redface: Any "you should choose Cam" is too late at this point anyway. :smile:
I been offered a place to study a 4 year Maths in Cambridge. However i just found out that the Masters i want to do you have to apply again after 3 years of the current course.

So i am planning on going to Edinburgh Uni, do my bachelors then apply for master's in Cambridge. Thereby saving more than £36,000. Is that a responsible choice.

An Oxford postgrad in Maths is more prestigious ... fantastic building to work in too.
I been offered a place to study a 4 year Maths in Cambridge. However i just found out that the Masters i want to do you have to apply again after 3 years of the current course.

So i am planning on going to Edinburgh Uni, do my bachelors then apply for master's in Cambridge. Thereby saving more than £36,000. Is that a responsible choice.

You shouldn’t feel like you’re betraying your girlfriend. No one told her to take a gap year, you just agreed to the idea. Don’t allow such opportunities to escape your hands. Sure you plan to go to Cambridge at the third year for your masters but you may get rejected, have you thought of that. Your girlfriend shouldn’t be the reason for you to go to a specific university, look at the reasons why you’re going there, if they surround your girlfriend, then it’s not a good idea. If you pick Cambridge, then your girlfriend will understand, if she doesn’t , then you guys aren’t meant for each other. Don’t risk going to the same university; you may end up drifting apart. Also, how about employability? You’re more likely to receive a job if you went to Cambridge than Edinburgh, hence a greater chance of you becoming a research mathematician, or anything else that isn’t related to maths. I will assume that you and your girlfriend aren’t both studying maths, so you wouldn’t see much of each other in university, due to work etc. So think about your options and YOUR future, not OUR future.
Original post by J-SP
The assumptions that Cambridge will make you more employable is funny when the employability stats actually show Edinburgh to have the ever so slightly higher graduate employment rates than Cambridge.

It’s general employability, not just graduate employability. If you want to work internationally, you would be recognised for going to Cambridge , not Edinburgh, since Cambridge is in the top 10 of the world’s best universities.
There is a sense of flogging a dead horse here, but I would say that if there's any subject for which the Cambridge halo shines significantly brightly, it would be Maths.
@scottsmith I'm slightly confused.

Perhaps you can clarify why you say you applied to Cambridge when you already have a place at Glasgow?
As per your thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5140230

Keeping in mind when you reply that Cambridge is well known for not accepting applications from students already attending a UK university.

Edit: Oh, it also means your early comment...
Original post by username3715802
I am a Scottish student living in Glasgow. I already got a second year offer from Edinburgh.

...now makes much more sense. But why post an apparent screenshot of a First Year entry offer from Edinburgh when you already hold a 2nd Year entry offer?

Unless of course you where just having a bit of fun with the good people of TSR...

:holmes:

PS. I note you have now closed your account.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by doonesbury
@scottsmith i'm slightly confused.

Perhaps you can clarify why you applied to cambridge when you already have a place at glasgow?
As per your thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5140230

keeping in mind when you reply that cambridge is well known for not accepting applications from students already attending a uk university.

-------------------- the end -----------------------------
Original post by Doonesbury
@scottsmith I'm slightly confused.

Perhaps you can clarify why you say you applied to Cambridge when you already have a place at Glasgow?

Keeping in mind when you reply that Cambridge is well known for not accepting applications from students already attending a UK university.

Edit: Oh, it also means your early comment...

...now makes much more sense. But why post an apparent screenshot of a First Year entry offer from Edinburgh when you already hold a 2nd Year entry offer?

Unless of course you where just having a bit of fun with the good people of TSR...

PS. I note you have now closed your account.

Damn trolls! They put so much effort :lol:

Was thinking that there would finally be an interesting example of someone rejecting Cambridge on TSR not for monetary reasons (eg postgrad applicants) but alas. xD

(Which is not to say that people should reject Cam - they shouldn't if it's right for them, it's just pretty rare and interesting to see as almost no one does this)
@Doonesbury saving the day once again, I see. :biggrin:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
@Doonesbury saving the day once again, I see. :biggrin:

Expert sleuthing
Original post by aviiii
There was a reason you applied to Cam in the first place. If money is a real worry, apply for any relevant bursaries/scholarships your situation allows you to. (You will probably get a good enough salary upon graduation to pay back any fees anyway)

Dont be so sure you'll be able to get a 1st from Edin or that Cam will even accept you for their masters. An element of luck comes into play when getting accepted to Oxbridge (you are obviously v bright & work hard, I'm not disputing - but there are a lot of other people who are that too and who dont get into Oxbridge)

If your gf can't handle you moving to Cam and sees it as some sort of betrayal, then it'll be for the best, because if either one of you resents the other's decision when it comes to personal development, than one of you is holding the other back.

To me it seems like a no-brainer. You clearly seem to see Cam as more prestigious as Edin, else you would stay at Edin for a Masters too. Stick with Cam, smash that degree - your gf will want what's best for YOU and ultimately, that'll impact your relationship positively.

Shorter terms at Cam = longer holidays to visit each other
Different unis = chance to see 2 different cities
Oxbridge on the CV = a multitude of doors open to you and exposure to things most of us would never get at a good university

If none of this convinces you. Ask yourself why you applied to Cam in the first place?

Relationships should never affect decisions like this - unless you have a child involved I would do what is best for yourself & the rest will fit into place.
18/19 is an awfully young age to weld yourself to another person so indefinitely, at a great risk to your own career & professional development.

This is my opinion. Any time I've made a decision, i've done so without my current relationship in mind, and I've never regretted it because I've ultimately benefitted so even if that relationship doesn't work out, I'm exactly where I wanted to be.

Read the last few posts...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Read the last few posts...

Posted from TSR Mobile

And the footnote on the OP :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending