The Student Room Group

Want to bring up a gap year with parents

Hello everyone,

I have been really toying with the idea of a gap year after my physics teacher was saying how she thinks its one of those rare opportunities to grow as a person and live life a little before re-joining the system. And she's normally the one to be strict with work too!

Anyway if I did do a gap year, I would spend the first few months with my Grandparents and do a mixture of fixing my Jaaaaaag, get a job, and study to apply to Cambridge (#yolo :wink: )

And then for the second half of the year I could go to my mum's home country, Colombia, and get a job shadowing someone or something ... just live life in a totally different country. A country I probably won't go back to for a long time.

Even though I genuinely love physics, I can see how just a year of no physics (or less physics) would allow me to grow as a person so when I get back, I can re-join life with some new experiences ready to hit the physics treadmill.

Does this sound like a rational / good / bad idea to bring up with my parents?

(they're assuming I go to Uni come September so ...)
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Hello everyone,

I have been really toying with the idea of a gap year after my physics teacher was saying how she thinks its one of those rare opportunities to grow as a person and live life a little before re-joining the system. And she's normally the one to be strict with work too!

Anyway if I did do a gap year, I would spend the first few months with my Grandparents and do a mixture of fixing my Jaaaaaag, get a job, and study to apply to Cambridge (#yolo :wink: )

And then for the second half of the year I could go to my mum's home country, Colombia, and get a job shadowing someone or something ... just live life in a totally different country. A country I probably won't go back to for a long time.

Even though I genuinely love physics, I can see how just a year of no physics (or less physics) would allow me to grow as a person so when I get back, I can re-join life with some new experiences ready to hit the physics treadmill.

Does this sound like a rational / good / bad idea to bring up with my parents?

(they're assuming I go to Uni come September so ...)

Just focus on the reapplying for Cambridge and strengthening your application aspect. They might find that angle easier to go for rather than bumming around. Remind them its a lot of money and you think its worth having another go for entry to your dream uni.
Original post by 999tigger
Just focus on the reapplying for Cambridge and strengthening your application aspect. They might find that angle easier to go for rather than bumming around. Remind them its a lot of money and you think its worth having another go for entry to your dream uni.

Thing is the fact you say bumming around is concerning because after the Cambridge application I want to do something that I could otherwise not really ever do, and getting some kinda work experience in Colombia sounds to me about as wacky as you can get. Do you see what I mean?
It wouldn't hurt bringing up this conversation with your parents. A gap year is a great way for you to grow personally, engage in self-reflection, and can help you have more clarity in your major and life in general prior to going to uni. There are many programs that specialize in gap years if you wanted to go that route, where you essentially travel abroad to a foreign country and return and do a curriculum with the program that is targeted towards building your skills. However, these can be extremely costly. If you were to do a gap year sans program, be prepared to discuss with your parents what you intend to do in your gap year and the benefits of going to uni a year later. It's all about how you frame it and the story you tell!
Original post by travelersam85
It wouldn't hurt bringing up this conversation with your parents. A gap year is a great way for you to grow personally, engage in self-reflection, and can help you have more clarity in your major and life in general prior to going to uni. There are many programs that specialize in gap years if you wanted to go that route, where you essentially travel abroad to a foreign country and return and do a curriculum with the program that is targeted towards building your skills. However, these can be extremely costly. If you were to do a gap year sans program, be prepared to discuss with your parents what you intend to do in your gap year and the benefits of going to uni a year later. It's all about how you frame it and the story you tell!

Given I'd want to be starting around Jan / Feb next year, I'm not too late am I considering this now?

I would love to do something in Colombia where my mother is from (so I can get to know the country a bit better). I had a quick look about possible work placements there, and yeah they're costly but if I was working for a few months after school ends I can see that cost being reduced, certainly.

I mean technically I bring these things up with my Grandparents whom I'm seeing on Monday (they play a bigger part in my life than my parents) but I need to present this idea to them.

I was thinking in terms of CVs and whatnot, being able to say I worked abroad I think would be quite good. Especially if I ended up loving Colombia and wanting to work there anyway!
Reply 5
Given I'd want to be starting around Jan / Feb next year, I'm not too late am I considering this now?

I would love to do something in Colombia where my mother is from (so I can get to know the country a bit better). I had a quick look about possible work placements there, and yeah they're costly but if I was working for a few months after school ends I can see that cost being reduced, certainly.

I mean technically I bring these things up with my Grandparents whom I'm seeing on Monday (they play a bigger part in my life than my parents) but I need to present this idea to them.

I was thinking in terms of CVs and whatnot, being able to say I worked abroad I think would be quite good. Especially if I ended up loving Colombia and wanting to work there anyway!

Hi
A gap year can give you a great opportunity to travel and try new things.

However, I think it would be worth contacting the universities you want to apply to and ask how they view a gap year. Oxford, for example seems to view it negatively unless it is for physics related work experience:

"Can I take a year out/gap year?

This depends on your plans. Sponsorship schemes offering a year’s work experience in a physics-related field may be excellent, but some activities are less useful. An athlete who does not train for a year will be pretty rusty. Likewise a physics (or maths) student who does not use his or her brain for a year will also be pretty rusty and this is the danger of a gap year!"

https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/faqs/faq-admissions

You could perhaps consider using the 3 months or so after A levels to do some travelling if the gap year doesn't work out.
Original post by marple
Hi
A gap year can give you a great opportunity to travel and try new things.

However, I think it would be worth contacting the universities you want to apply to and ask how they view a gap year. Oxford, for example seems to view it negatively unless it is for physics related work experience:

"Can I take a year out/gap year?

This depends on your plans. Sponsorship schemes offering a year’s work experience in a physics-related field may be excellent, but some activities are less useful. An athlete who does not train for a year will be pretty rusty. Likewise a physics (or maths) student who does not use his or her brain for a year will also be pretty rusty and this is the danger of a gap year!"

https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/faqs/faq-admissions

You could perhaps consider using the 3 months or so after A levels to do some travelling if the gap year doesn't work out.

Yeah I remember seeing that ages ago. That put me off, until I saw that Clare College at Cambridge are neutral for gap-years. (They treat gap-year candidates the same as non ones)

EDIT: Yes, I think I do want to contact some of my universities about it actually.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you're excited to do the things you just mentioned, do so. I'm currently on my gap year and although I still put work In to focus on my career ambitions and university preparedness, my time is mostly spent engaging In the leisure activities I had very little time to do while at school, and It's the perfect recharge from the stressful environment.

Just saw this reply. Nope, don't think you are too late at all. Some people happen upon their gap year in a matter of weeks! As far as work goes, be cautious of overpriced job placements. Maybe look into local agencies or websites to search for jobs. Alternatively, if you simply want to cover your living costs you could do a volunteer gig (think WorkAway, HelpX, WWOOF) that would enable you to live in Colombia but not have large expenses.

Quick Reply

Latest