The Student Room Group

It's illegal to pay a man and a woman 2 different rates of pay for the same job

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harjot
There's actually a great discussion that highlights this:
[video="youtube;aMcjxSThD54"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54[/video]

I've watched that one, yes.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Academic system isn't controlled by women for starters...

Which is taught behaviour (remember, evopsych is 99% *******s, 1% nonsense) - doesn't really help your claim that women aren't presented with a longer road to run.

Valuing the men higher/undervaluing the women. The men in these scenarios aren't necessarily overpaid, their wage might be the going rate but the women are underpaid for some absurd reason (thinking here things like "they might get pregnant and take time out", which people trot out already over promotions)

Reasons like they make different life choices and on average work less hours a week, my friend. And in the UK, girls do get higher grades that boys. Also teaching is a female dominated profession. I, myself would not argue that this is a matriarchy but it is a very feminine environment.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20090108131527/http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/research/data/uploadfiles/RTP01-07.pdf
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Harjot
For those who need further explanation:

[video="youtube;DruXykiH5V8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DruXykiH5V8[/video]

Linked here is the real video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54
Original post by Unkilled
Reasons like they make different life choices and on average work less hours a week, my friend.

Different life choices such as?

And in the UK, girls do get higher grades that boys.

Is that because boys and girls have different learning/assessment styles they respond to and the education system is set up preferentially towards the style girls respond to? If so, yes guys are disadvantaged in the education system, but I'm not aware thats the case.

Also teaching is a female dominated profession. I, myself would not argue that this is a matriarchy but it is a very feminine environment.

Are you just ignoring my repeated explanations of what the patriarchy refers to? Being dominated by one sex doesn't mean patriarchy/matriarchy in and of itself - its about whether it's structured to make it harder for one gender to enter, is that the case with teaching?
Different life choices such as?

Is that because boys and girls have different learning/assessment styles they respond to and the education system is set up preferentially towards the style girls respond to? If so, yes guys are disadvantaged in the education system, but I'm not aware thats the case.

Are you just ignoring my repeated explanations of what the patriarchy refers to? Being dominated by one sex doesn't mean patriarchy/matriarchy in and of itself - its about whether it's structured to make it harder for one gender to enter, is that the case with teaching?

Different life choices such as ON AVERAGE working less hours a week and if a system is structured in a feminine way, they obviously it is structured against men, by your own definition.
Original post by Unkilled
Different life choices such as ON AVERAGE working less hours a week and if a system is structured in a feminine way, they obviously it is structured against men, by your own definition.

I don't know what definition you think i have, but it's clear you're just not reading a thing i say while spouting your own nonsense - so, I'll spell it out again: a male dominated industry does not necessarily mean "patriarchy", "the patriarchy" refers to setups designed to keep women out, meaning they have to be clearly superior to male colleagues to reach the same level. The inverse is also true: so, your example of teachers: is there a hiring bias against men, or do more women choose to go into the profession?
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't know what definition you think i have, but it's clear you're just not reading a thing i say while spouting your oen nonsense - so, I'll spell it out again: a male dominated industry does not necessarily mean "patriarchy", "the patriarchy" refers to setups designed to keep women out, meaning they have to be clearly superior to male colleagues to reach the same level. The inverse is also true: so, your example of teachers: is there a hiring bias against men, or do more women choose to go into the profession?

There is no hiring bias against women in tech, mate. Less women choose to go into that profession.

Also, what you are essentially saying is that there is a competitive environment.
Is it just me, or is what is most important in this issue is that people analyse the reasons why women might be statistically paid lower than men rather than immediately pointing it to sexism? I think what people miss the point about is that it doesn’t matter to have jobs which are 50/50 men and women, as all that matters it that they’re given an equal chance of getting the same role.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending