The Student Room Group

What degree should I do for a reaserch scientist?

Hey everyone, my long time aspiration is to be a reaserch scientist in the medicinal feild, and eventually have my own lab, looking deeply into the profession it is strongly advised that I do a PhD, which I am fine to do.

How ever, I've always been pushed towards going to medical school, don't u become a doctor at medical school as that is not what I want to be. Other degrees like medical sciences are labeled as being stepping stones into med school but my query is, are there any degrees about the study of desises or the human body that would be ideal for beginning a carrearcpath in reaserch.

I appreciate you reading this as I know it sounds a bit whiney
Original post by KyloRen1048
Hey everyone, my long time aspiration is to be a reaserch scientist in the medicinal feild, and eventually have my own lab, looking deeply into the profession it is strongly advised that I do a PhD, which I am fine to do.

How ever, I've always been pushed towards going to medical school, don't u become a doctor at medical school as that is not what I want to be. Other degrees like medical sciences are labeled as being stepping stones into med school but my query is, are there any degrees about the study of desises or the human body that would be ideal for beginning a carrearcpath in reaserch.

I appreciate you reading this as I know it sounds a bit whiney

Anything relevant really from biomed to biochem and mol biol. At this stage just pick one that's interesting to you.
Reply 2
If you want to become a researcher in the medical field particularly, then Biomedical Science is the most relevant course I believe. I study that and my degree has given me a great background on medicine and pathology, has also introduced me into research and allowed me to actually do medical research during my last year. I believe its ideal for preparing someone to go into such field. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Den902
If you want to become a researcher in the medical field particularly, then Biomedical Science is the most relevant course I believe. I study that and my degree has given me a great background on medicine and pathology, has also introduced me into research and allowed me to actually do medical research during my last year. I believe its ideal for preparing someone to go into such field. :smile:

Great thanks for this reply it has helped clarify alot of things, that sounds great btw, was there like a special type of course that u had to apply for to do the reaserch work
Good advice here:

https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2011/mar/14/routes-into-medical-research-careers

You can go into medical research after doing a degree in medicine. And you also have great the back-up option of becoming a physician if you change your mind.

Other options are biomedical science, biology, genetics, biochemistry etc.
Reply 5
Original post by KyloRen1048
Great thanks for this reply it has helped clarify alot of things, that sounds great btw, was there like a special type of course that u had to apply for to do the reaserch work

My university (university of Kent) gave me the choice of doing a dissertation or a lab project which is based on the research of the university. So i chose that and I got to work on research related to Alzheimers and I'm really enjoying it right now. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Den902
My university (university of Kent) gave me the choice of doing a dissertation or a lab project which is based on the research of the university. So i chose that and I got to work on research related to Alzheimers and I'm really enjoying it right now. :smile:

Whoaa that actually sounds amazing, hearing opportunities such as this excites me and. Motivates me to work, thankyou for sharing this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending