The Student Room Group

I want to be a game developer

What can I really do about this considering my limited options?

.late 20s
.cant go back to uni

However I do work in IT support not sure if thats a plus

Scroll to see replies

make a game then, call it starting threads on tsr
Original post by hannah00
make a game then, call it starting threads on tsr

Oh ****off why would you try to crush my dreams? ****it I will go on the dole and you can pay for me to live.
Original post by Got Milk
Oh ****off why would you try to crush my dreams? ****it I will go on the dole and you can pay for me to live.

ok then. Doesnt affect me if you go on the Dole, youll just spend the money and that will create jobs in the economy. Good for all of us.
Reply 4
I mean you could probably start by trying to make a game. Unity is a decent software, but some programming knowledge (C#) would be needed.
Why do you want to do it?

What aspect of the work attracts you?
Reply 6
What can I really do about this considering my limited options?

.late 20s
.cant go back to uni

However I do work in IT support not sure if thats a plus

I am currently a Software Engineer student, second year, received 90% on my first year, and this year going stronger.

I can tell you right now, that you can become a game developer without leaving your room, provided you have a desktop/laptop and internet connection. Here are your steps.

0. The game engine you will be using is Unity, and in Unity, you can use 3 languages to program your game, C#, JavaScript, or Python.

1. Do you know any of these programming languages, C#, JavaScript, or Python? If yes, move to step 2, if not, pick any of those languages, and start learning them at websites for free using YouTube or any website. However, if you want to learn C# (which I recommend). In the Unity website they have very good video tutorials on the C# language, you can learn it there, here is the link:

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/scripting

Keep in mind you only need to watch sections 1-28, and if you need more knowledge later, you can always come back to this link.

2. Learn the engine now. Watch as many as you can from these from the "Topics" section:
https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

3. Get a game idea (start small, mobile game), create it, publish it.

4. After this and during this, you do research, about mobile dev, ads, etc. Up to you.

This is basically how you can become a game developer, very easy, just requires time and a bit of effort.

If you need any more help, let me know. This was just something rough I just wrote. If you are really committed, I will help you further.

Reda
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Reda's advice is pretty reasonable.

Original post by Reda2

You'll be probably be limited at the indie level for a very long time, though, and will definitely be stuck with making those smaller classes of games. Without effectively knowing some of the mathematical and algorithmic contents of a CS course, you wouldn't be able to work for a game dev company like Rockstar or AA etc. The game dev industry is one of the toughest in software engineering, purely because making great games in 2018 can be pretty tough with all the standards that people have been setting.

If you're good with that, or making smaller/app-store sized games, crack on!
ok then. Doesnt affect me if you go on the Dole, youll just spend the money and that will create jobs in the economy. Good for all of us.
lol yeah because higher taxes means more jobs..
Definitely agree with the advice from @Reda2 - that's almost certainly the best route to game development these days. As far as I understand it, anyone can pretty much start out with Unity having zero knowledge, having a working game to begin with then pick up those skills along the way.

There's probably one other thing which sets game development (which is a lot like simulation programming) apart from the rest of the world of software engineering, which is the need to understand 'applied' maths - In particular, statistical and probability modelling, but also trigonometry and mechanics to some extent too. That's not to say you'd never use those things in other areas, but the majority of typical software engineering roles rarely touch directly on any "real" maths beyond basic arithmetic,

With that said, game development is software development. As part of learning about game development you'll need all the other 'general' software engineering skills too - that includes all the essential problem-solving and analytical skills that you need as a programmer, being able to troubleshoot problems with a debugger, understanding Object Orientation, Data modelling, Multi-threading, Network programming, etc.

Lastly, game development tends to be a combination of programming and game design, so if you want to succeed, you need to be able to take a critical look at successful games to understand what makes them fun, and why people enjoy playing them. Creating a game is one thing, but creating one which people will actually want to play (and will pay money for) is a whole other problem, and probably the most difficult challenge in terms of actually being successful.
Original post by Reda2
I am currently a Software Engineer student, second year, received 90% on my first year, and this year going stronger.

I can tell you right now, that you can become a game developer without leaving your room, provided you have a desktop/laptop and internet connection. Here are your steps.

0. The game engine you will be using is Unity, and in Unity, you can use 3 languages to program your game, C#, JavaScript, or Python.

1. Do you know any of these programming languages, C#, JavaScript, or Python? If yes, move to step 2, if not, pick any of those languages, and start learning them at websites for free using YouTube or any website. However, if you want to learn C# (which I recommend). In the Unity website they have very good video tutorials on the C# language, you can learn it there, here is the link:

Keep in mind you only need to watch sections 1-28, and if you need more knowledge later, you can always come back to this link.

2. Learn the engine now. Watch as many as you can from these from the "Topics" section:

4. After this and during this, you do research, about mobile dev, ads, etc. Up to you.

This is basically how you can become a game developer, very easy, just requires time and a bit of effort.

If you need any more help, let me know. This was just something rough I just wrote. If you are really committed, I will help you further.

Reda

Great advice! Not sure why the OP has not responded directly to this post but it's really good advice.
Well it was posted late last night, give them a chance...

Just add that other game engines exist, not all games involve 3D graphics (yes, I know Unity will also do 2D), and in terms of actually getting a job, you might also look things like scripting (do some interactive fiction as demos) that do not demand 'must have degree with C++' qualifications.
Original post by unprinted
Well it was posted late last night, give them a chance...

Just add that other game engines exist, not all games involve 3D graphics (yes, I know Unity will also do 2D), and in terms of actually getting a job, you might also look things like scripting (do some interactive fiction as demos) that do not demand 'must have degree with C++' qualifications.

Sorry the reason I made that comment was the OP made a comment 9 hours after it (the great advice) was posted in response to something else.
lol yeah because higher taxes means more jobs..

if you say so ?

Still doesnt change the fact you going on the dole and spending money will mean more jobs. Somebody will take your old job and also spend their salary. So its a win win

your post so many odd questions on tsr, dont quite think you have the maturity or attitude for a career outside IT support.
(edited 6 years ago)
Eric Barone who made the very popular and successful game Stardew Valley taught himself how to code and create the game. He made the entire thing himself over about 4 years. It's possible to do if you want it enough. If you message him on one of the official game pages and such, he sometimes responds so maybe you could ask him for tips?

http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/first-time-developer-made-stardew-valley.html
if you say so ?

Still doesnt change the fact you going on the dole and spending money will mean more jobs. Somebody will take your old job and also spend their salary. So its a win win

your post so many odd questions on tsr, dont quite think you have the maturity or attitude for a career outside IT support.

It was sarcasm.. what you are saying is absolute ******** so according to you, the more people on the dole generates jobs.. stay in school.
Original post by Reda2

Reda
Thanks for this! Do you think theres money in indie games though? Is it realistic that I could make a career out of this? I will defo check out unity! Is w3schools a credible learning resource?
It was sarcasm.. what you are saying is absolute ******** so according to you, the more people on the dole generates jobs.. stay in school.

dont care if it was sarcasm or not, thats what you said not me

Your job wont disappear just because you leave it, thats not how the economy works. There is something called a "fiscal multiplier" https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5837/economics/fiscal-multiplier-and-european-austerity/

When the govt increases spending by £1, the economy tends to grow by about £1.50.

People wont be on the dole forever, as people on dole spend money, more jobs will be created, and people leave the dole to work at the new jobs
dont care if it was sarcasm or not, thats what you said not me

Your job wont disappear just because you leave it, thats not how the economy works. There is something called a "fiscal multiplier" https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5837/economics/fiscal-multiplier-and-european-austerity/

When the govt increases spending by £1, the economy tends to grow by about £1.50.

People wont be on the dole forever, as people on dole spend money, more jobs will be created, and people leave the dole to work at the new jobs
oh dear you’re not even joking are you.. you do realise people on the dole get their money from TAX PAYERS, more people on the dole means more TAX (essentially) so they are taking money away from thise same shops who pay TAXES . More people on the dole does not boost the economy.. I am shocked that you think it does as I assume you are over the age over the age of 5.
oh dear you’re not even joking are you.. you do realise people on the dole get their money from TAX PAYERS, more people on the dole means more TAX (essentially) so they are taking money away from thise same shops who pay TAXES . More people on the dole does not boost the economy.. I am shocked that you think it does as I assume you are over the age over the age of 5.

I gave you a link, that explained the concept. Read it before saying stuff like this
repeating the same thing 3 times, doesnt change anything.

You think you 1 person quitting your job, will affect me or the economy ? lmao

Quick Reply