The Student Room Group

Gay teen at prom - Advice

Hello TSR!
The school prom is coming in June. People have began to talk about it since the Christmas holidays and some people even have dates.
I am gay, and don't feel that it would be right to date a girl. There aren't really any out gay people in the year either, and I don't have any friends to go with.

What do I do? I will probably be forced to go, but I am confident that I will just be a bit of a loner there.

Scroll to see replies

if you are rich show up single and in style, don't ever be ashamed of who are you and if people don't appreciate you for you then they're the ones that need to change
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Joe2001
Hello TSR!
The school prom is coming in June. People have began to talk about it since the Christmas holidays and some people even have dates.
I am gay, and don't feel that it would be right to date a girl. There aren't really any out gay people in the year either, and I don't have any friends to go with.

What do I do? I will probably be forced to go, but I am confident that I will just be a bit of a loner there.

You don’t necessarily have to bring a girl as a date, why not bring one as a friend or a guy? If not then I’d still recommend that you go, it’s only one night so go to prom and own it! You say you have no friends to go with but surely there must be some people you can talk to whilst you’re there? If not then this is the perfect time to talk to some new people. MOST importantly though don’t worry about it, just go and feel confident in yourself and enjoy!!
there are many lonely girls who would love a handsome man to take her to the prom & give her a lovely evening, even if he is not going to exchange body fluids afterwards.
That's the thing though - I haven't got friends, and the person that I am usually forced into hanging out with will just keep irritating me the whole evening. I saw pictures from the prom last year, and to me, it seems to showcase who is high on the social ladder and who is not.
Original post by the bear
there are many lonely girls who would love a handsome man to take her to the prom & give her a lovely evening, even if he is not going to exchange body fluids afterwards.

1) They wouldn't want a gay date though.
2) I'm not in any way attractive.
3) The girls in my year group would be out of my league if I were straight.
Original post by Joe2001
1) They wouldn't want a gay date though.
2) I'm not in any way attractive.
3) The girls in my year group would be out of my league if I were straight.

i) have you asked them what they want ?

ii) you are not the Elephant Man are you ?

iii) there is no such thing as a league... ?
Original post by the bear
i) have you asked them what they want ?

ii) you are not the Elephant Man are you ?

iii) there is no such thing as a league... ?

i) I wouldn't want them to look back in 10 years and think: "My date was the gay guy."
ii) No, but I don't feel that I am attractive. A bit overweight, which whilst I am trying to get in better shape, it does not help matters.
iii) Out of my league = A person you have no chance with dating/hooking up with because they are considered much more attractive, popular, intelligent or more successful than you are.

I honestly wish that I had a boyfriend at this point.
Don't feel pressured into going. I didn't go to my Y11 prom and it didn't even phase me - same for others who I know that saw it as just another day of BS to bunk. You mentioned that you'll be forced into going. By who? Yes, there is an unnecessary pressure on everyone to go but no can really make you do it and all who "force" you will end up forgetting about the situation after a couple days at most.
Original post by iamanonymousish
Don't feel pressured into going. I didn't go to my Y11 prom and it didn't even phase me - same for others who I know that saw it as just another day of BS to bunk. You mentioned that you'll be forced into going. By who? Yes, there is an unnecessary pressure on everyone to go but no can really make you do it and all who "force" you will end up forgetting about the situation after a couple days at most.

Teachers and peers have already questioned my lack of interest in prom, and seem quite forceful in trying to get me to go, even though they wouldn't hang about with me whilst there anyway. No doubt when my parents hear more about it, I will be forced to go to "be social."
Reply 10
Original post by Joe2001
Teachers and peers have already questioned my lack of interest in prom, and seem quite forceful in trying to get me to go, even though they wouldn't hang about with me whilst there anyway. No doubt when my parents hear more about it, I will be forced to go to "be social."

If prom really bothers you that much then it’s really not worth the stress. Maybe try and explain to your parents why you don’t want to go and that it would be pointless?
Reply 11
Original post by Joe2001
Hello TSR!

The only reason you have to go is if you want to. Don't feel pressured in to going, it's not mandatory in the slightest.

If your parents question it, explain your social situation and just make it clear that there's no one going you'd want to spend the evening with and it would be a negative experience.

Stop dwelling on it, it's not really that important to go.
Reply 12

It's a stupid Americanism that was invented purely for the attractive ego people to flaunt themselves. I have never gone to these events and never regretted it.
Original post by Joe2001

Haha sounds like you're laying out exactly my position this time last year. Teachers will understandably want you to go because it's supposed to be a good time which is fair enough but you already know yourself that it's not for you. You know yourself better than they do.
Your parents will let go of it, it'll be just like that time you decided you didn't want to go to a birthday party or something. It's really not a big deal. Just lay it out clearly that you have no interest in going, perhaps with a hint of annoyance in your tone and they'll get the message.

At the end of the day, everyone just kinda wants you to have a good time without actually being aware of what this means to you. Just give it a firm "No." and it'll all blow over. Looking back, I'm very glad I didn't go. Sure, I missed out on some "fun" but given the situation I was in (similar to yours), I'd have had a terrible time anyway.
Reply 14
Original post by Joe2001

Take a phone and find somewhere if you must go, but teacher's can't force you to attend a pointless event full of inane babble.
Original post by Bio 7
It's a stupid Americanism that was invented purely for the attractive ego people to flaunt themselves. I have never gone to these events and never regretted it.

I know right lmao. Things like that don't fit in naturally with the British culture. Reminds me of when people call the police here "feds"
Reply 16
I know right lmao. Things like that don't fit in naturally with the British culture. Reminds me of when people call the police here "feds"

Ugh I'd have to walk away from someone saying that. I think I'll make a thread about all the things from America then need to stay away from Britain due to their stupidity. "Cops" I'm fine with, but not "feds".
"High school is the best years of your life" - said by nobody.

Seriously sucks having no social life. I really want to have a boyfriend, I really do. It won't happen anytime soon though, so I am best staying away from this sort of thing.

When will it all end, and I can actually get my social life back?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Joe2001
"High school is the best years of your life" - said by nobody.

Seriously sucks having no social life. I really want to have a boyfriend, I really do. It won't happen anytime soon though, so I am best staying away from this sort of thing.

You'll find someone eventually but I agree no social life is depressing at times. I tended to just go to quiet areas and do some work or read. Most of my social activity is online gaming.
Just go and look fabulous, girlfriend.

I am not sure you have to take a date anyway, so your being gay is not an issue. It is the lack of friends. I suggest make up with your irritating friend or find a good excuse for not going. As others have said, proms are a relatively new development in the UK and many generations managed to go on with their adult life without having attended. You won't be torturing yourself if you should not attend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending