The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello
I’ve started to apply for student finance and on the about me section it asks whether my partner has worked abroad in the last three years. He’s in the navy and so has spent a few months away but unsure of what to put on the questions.
Also can you explain a bit about adult dependents?
Reply 2
Hi, I’ve just applied for student finance and it has allowed my Dad to give evidence via email but my mum doesn’t have an email address so would I have to fill out the form for her financial information
Hi,
I haven't started to my application yet, however i was wondering how much will i get from the student finance and what are criteria i will need to have to get it. Finally if I'm going to uni of salford in Manchester what is the average student finance??

PS Does anyone know anything about scholarships??

Kind Regards
ALLAN
(edited 6 years ago)
Where do I go to apply for student finance?

How long does it take to fill out the application?
Reply 5
In regards to Allan's PS, information about scholarships etc would indeed be very helpful, I can't really find info that helps me understand

-Kay
Original post by PurpleRose7
Hello
I’ve started to apply for student finance and on the about me section it asks whether my partner has worked abroad in the last three years. He’s in the navy and so has spent a few months away but unsure of what to put on the questions.
Also can you explain a bit about adult dependents?

Hi PurpleRose7,

You can inform us of your partner being in the Navy and the details of when he was abroad.

All students studying full-time courses whose Student Finance applications have been income assessed can be considered for the Adult Dependents' Grant (ADG).

They must meet the following criteria at the beginning of the academic year in order to qualify for ADG:

Full-time students with a spouse/civil partner
Full-time students who are over 25 with a cohabiting partner
Full-time students who are under 25 must be married to claim for their partner as an adult dependent*

*Full time students who are under 25 and married must provide us with a marriage certificate to be eligible for ADG.

Full-time students with other adult dependents with income not more than £3796 Students cannot claim ADG for:

A child, their own Child (regardless of age) or an adult dependent who is also a student.

Warm regards,

Shaun.
Original post by Mars_99
Hi, I’ve just applied for student finance and it has allowed my Dad to give evidence via email but my mum doesn’t have an email address so would I have to fill out the form for her financial information

Hi Mars_99,

Your mum doesn't need to have an email sent to her in order to support your application.

She can create an account here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login. Once this has been done she can then support your submitted application.

Warm regards,

Shaun.
Original post by BIGALLANMC
Hi,
I haven't started to my application yet, however i was wondering how much will i get from the student finance and what are criteria i will need to have to get it. Finally if I'm going to uni of salford in Manchester what is the average student finance??

PS Does anyone know anything about scholarships??

Kind Regards
ALLAN

Hi Allan,

If you are a UK National with 3 years residency within the UK/EU/EEA and are residing in the UK prior to the start of the academic year you can apply for funding.

The maximum means tested Maintenance Loan rate for students residing elsewhere is £8700 (£4054 without sponsor(s) income being taken into account).

Warm regards,

Shaun.
Reply 9
Hello.
I tried to apply today for both Student and Maintenance loan, but when I add my address history it says I can't apply for it because I started living in the UK in July 2015, and it's not been 3 years yet, which is weird since my course starts in mid-September 2018.
I downloaded the EU 18N form and filled it, but it does not have any parts related to the Maintenance loan, which I need as I don't receive any financial support from my parents.
Do I need to wait until July to apply for that one? I am worried that by then I will receive my payment late.
Thank you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by purple1106
Where do I go to apply for student finance?

How long does it take to fill out the application?

Hi Purple1106,

You can apply for funding online at https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login.

It can take anywhere between 20-40 minutes on average.

Warm regards,

Shaun.
Original post by kayjayess
In regards to Allan's PS, information about scholarships etc would indeed be very helpful, I can't really find info that helps me understand

-Kay

Hi Kay.

With regards to the scholarships you would be best to discuss this with the Universities or Colleges you are looking at as this is specific to them.

What typically happens though is the University or College would review the household income figures we hold to assess you for a bursary/scholarship.

It isn't always related to low income either which is why I recommend a quick email or phone call to your chosen Institutions.

Warm regards,

Shaun.
hello I am from Northern Ireland, and my question is when will the student finance applications for 2018-2019 open here because I know the student finance England ones are open
Original post by Shaun Doherty
Hi Kay.

With regards to the scholarships you would be best to discuss this with the Universities or Colleges you are looking at as this is specific to them.

What typically happens though is the University or College would review the household income figures we hold to assess you for a bursary/scholarship.

It isn't always related to low income either which is why I recommend a quick email or phone call to your chosen Institutions.

Warm regards,

Shaun.

Thank you!
Original post by Student Money Week 2018
Got a question about how you can apply for student finance? Our experts are here to help.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Tuesday 13 February.

Hi,
I got a customer Reference number in the last year when I had applied.
Should I use the same customer reference number when I apply this year as my application was canceled last year due to the deferral of the course by me?
As I am an EEA migrant worker applicant, I would like to know that whose income documents/P60, should I submit along with the application.
My spouse is an EEA national and I am a non-EEA national.I am going to apply as a family member of EEA/EU national in the EEA migrant worker category.
Thank you very much for your help.
Original post by yuki013
Hello.
I tried to apply today for both Student and Maintenance loan, but when I add my address history it says I can't apply for it because I started living in the UK in July 2015, and it's not been 3 years yet, which is weird since my course starts in mid-September 2018.
I downloaded the EU 18N form and filled it, but it does not have any parts related to the Maintenance loan, which I need as I don't receive any financial support from my parents.
Do I need to wait until July to apply for that one? I am worried that by then I will receive my payment late.
Thank you.

Hi Yuki013,

Are you an EU National?

I have included the paper copy of the online application here: http://bit.ly/2H8DT5g.

This will allow you to complete the residency sections.

But before you do if you can get back to me regarding your nationality.

Warm regards,

Shaun.
Original post by Hey_itsJerome
hello I am from Northern Ireland, and my question is when will the student finance applications for 2018-2019 open here because I know the student finance England ones are open

Hi Jerome,

I currently don't have any information on a release date for those applications.

Warm regards,

Shaun.
Hi Jerome,

I currently don't have any information on a release date for those applications.

Warm regards,

Shaun.

thanks anyway
Reply 18
Hi Yuki013,

Are you an EU National?

I have included the paper copy of the online application here: http://bit.ly/2H8DT5g.

This will allow you to complete the residency sections.

But before you do if you can get back to me regarding your nationality.

Warm regards,

Shaun.

Hello, and thanks for your help.

Yes, I am an EU national and at the end of July it will be 3 years since I have been permanently in the UK.
About the form you linked, in sections b2 and b3 it asks me for my non-UK Passport, which I will obtain and the end of March. This means I can not apply with a national ID, is that correct?

Thank you again.

EDIT: Will I need to send the original passport along with the form? I am a bit worried about this, as I will travel in May and I would rather have it with me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by urbashidewan
Hi,
I got a customer Reference number in the last year when I had applied.
Should I use the same customer reference number when I apply this year as my application was canceled last year due to the deferral of the course by me?
As I am an EEA migrant worker applicant, I would like to know that whose income documents/P60, should I submit along with the application.
My spouse is an EEA national and I am a non-EEA national.I am going to apply as a family member of EEA/EU national in the EEA migrant worker category.
Thank you very much for your help.

Hi urbashidewan,

You would use the same details as last year.

The income information you will be sending will be your spouse as they will be supporting your application.

Warm regards,

Shaun.

Latest