The Student Room Group

What Grade (9-1) Is This Question?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ns_2
A very, very good question - yes, I too have an issue with the diagram being misleading - however, a great test of ability.

Can I send you the answer to confirm?

Of course you may
Reply 41
Original post by Y11_Maths
x

Sorry you're right - I admit I cheated with your question and used Wolfram Alpha but I typed in a value wrong :smile:

So I would write the question as

"Show that sinθ=ab\sin \theta = \frac{\sqrt{a}}{b} where a and b are integers."
Original post by Notnek
Sorry you're right - I admit I cheated with your question and used Wolfram Alpha but I typed in a value wrong :smile:

So I would write the question as

"Show that sinθ=ab\sin \theta = \frac{\sqrt{a}}{b} where a and b are integers."

Ok, I will change the diagram so it looks more realistic and rearrange the final form to what you have specified. Thank you for your support @Notnek
and I will make sure to include you in any future questions I create. Thank you everyone :smile:

I'm in year 11 and am targeted an 8 (but me and my teacher think I'll get a 9) and she thinks I'll get a B in the further maths GCSE. At first glance, it looks like a grade 9 question but for those who manage to make the first step it is easy enough. I think though, that most will struggle on making a start, not because it is hard but because it will scare them (the sin-1 and the surd)
Original post by mundosinfin
This would definitely be 9, I'm predicted 9 and looking at this almost made me crap my pants. Let's hope this doesn't come up (or something similar)

I’m f*cked.
Original post by Baza2002
I'm in year 11 and am targeted an 8 (but me and my teacher think I'll get a 9) and she thinks I'll get a B in the further maths GCSE. At first glance, it looks like a grade 9 question but for those who manage to make the first step it is easy enough. I think though, that most will struggle on making a start, not because it is hard but because it will scare them (the sin-1 and the surd)

Have you answered it?
Have you answered it?

no. ill do it tomorrow though
Original post by Baza2002
no. ill do it tomorrow though

Good luck when you do!
From this question, I don't get the inside sin function?

I think grade 9 GCSE students will use the fact that sin(x)=sin(180-x) meaning sin(120) = sin(60). And that cos(120)=-cos(60): using the trig functions and the trig ratios introduced in the new spec.

My solution:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by thekidwhogames
From this question, I don't get the inside sin function?

I think grade 9 GCSE students will use the fact that sin(x)=sin(180-x) meaning sin(120) = sin(60). And that cos(120)=-cos(60): using the trig functions and the trig ratios introduced in the new spec.

My solution:

Spoiler

This is correct, how did you find the question difficulty wise when you were doing it? Also from start to finish how long did it take you?
This is correct, how did you find the question difficulty wise when you were doing it? Also from start to finish how long did it take you?

Difficulty wise, it's a solid grade 9 question.

It took me about 2-3 minutes from start to finish though that could be because I'm no longer a GCSE Maths student and I spend a lot of time on hard problems.

Very good question for grade 9 students! I can see this as the last question on a paper.
this is a level
Original post by Abs Shocky
this is a level

No, this would be a grade 9 GCSE question. What makes this A level? If anything, it'd be AS (A level has no trig like this).
Are you high? ahah No exam board would give a gcse student such nonesense in an exam. Because if they do. I'm ******* screwed on getting that grade 9... That isnt even on the syllabus...so don't know how you even found such a question lol
the funny thing is that will probs only be worth 3 or 4 marks
Original post by thekidwhogames
Difficulty wise, it's a solid grade 9 question.

It took me about 2-3 minutes from start to finish though that could be because I'm no longer a GCSE Maths student and I spend a lot of time on hard problems.

Very good question for grade 9 students! I can see this as the last question on a paper.

Bro, i think you're all a bit confused because this isbnt taught or in the gcse syllabus, wether you're a grade 9 student or not. So i'm a bit puzzled on why he's attempting these questions instead opf doing questions that will actually be in the paper???
Original post by Somtochi
Bro, i think you're all a bit confused because this isbnt taught or in the gcse syllabus, wether you're a grade 9 student or not. So i'm a bit puzzled on why he's attempting these questions instead opf doing questions that will actually be in the paper???

Mate, I'm not confused lol. I've already sat my GCSE and I'm telling you there are questions even much much harder than this. Take last year's Edexcel question on the cosine rule GCSE 9-1:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4740560

This question (from this thread) would be a good grade 9 question. As you can see, both AQA and Edexcel have given even harder questions.

Also, this is on spec GCSE syllabus. Nothing in this question required anything beyond cosine rule and sine rule (with algebra) hence a grade 9 question.
I'm predicted a grade 9. This took me around 10 minutes. It's a really good question and I can definitely see something like it coming up in the exams.
Original post by 12tastani
standard deviation in a science exam!!! that shouldn't even be on the specification. We are allowed to sue for anything that's not legally on the spec. lol

Further Maths though, has changed a lot! FP3 & FP4 stuff is in our CP1 (core pure 1 - 1st unit)

It was essentially put under "Level 3 maths" in the spec - which is stupid sinc that could be anything from A Level.

Our teacher did say it could come up, but so many people thought he was overreacting
Original post by Kyber Ninja
It was essentially put under "Level 3 maths" in the spec - which is stupid sinc that could be anything from A Level.

Our teacher did say it could come up, but so many people thought he was overreacting

Chi squared tests are also in Biology.

Quick Reply

Latest