The Student Room Group

Failing life

18 and a complete failure. I failed GCSEs getting grades D - U but mostly Us, I did get accepted into college but had to do a very low level course at entry level 3 below GCSE level, I done animal care and functional skills in English and maths.

However, due to other issues after I left and decided to take a few months out after I completed the course and got the certificates/qualifications. I got a Christmas temp job then another job doing cat sitting which in still doing now while back in college doing functional skills level 1 English and maths. I'm trying to look into apprenticeships in animal care as that's a dream job however I can't really find any in my area my the other option is photography or maybe even business admin but animal care is at the too of the list.

I'm worried without GCSEs I'm not going anywhere in life I mean even with functional skills what can you do? I really want a car but worried I'm never going to afford one or get a decent job with pay not being too bad, I want to travel the UK and public transport is expensive. Everyone around me is successful in their own way, jobs, apprenticeships, not bad money coming in, cars, family... my friend too had bad grades and is now in an apprenticeship and has level 2 functional skills but I can't help think that'll never be me. What do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Don’t give up is the best thing to do. Maybe you don’t have GCSEs now, but if you desperately need them later on, then you can sit them at any age. I’d suggest trying to get an apprenticeship in any way you can for right now, save up your money from jobs and then decide what you want to do after you’re done with that. If you don’t get a job straight away in what you love, just stick it out for a little bit until you have enough to do what you love. You’re gonna live a long life, just hold out and one day you will be working with animal care
Can you go back to college? Night school to gain some more formal qualifications? Don’t know if it is something your are interested in but there are lots of colleges devoted to equines - you could go on to become a groom from there? Or similarly colleges devoted to agriculture - you could go on to work with cows, sheep, pigs etc. They are in no way as glamorous as playing with cute fluffy animals all day but it would be a job and an income!
Original post by JasmineWills
18 and a complete failure. I failed GCSEs getting grades D - U but mostly Us, I did get accepted into college but had to do a very low level course at entry level 3 below GCSE level, I done animal care and functional skills in English and maths.

However, due to other issues after I left and decided to take a few months out after I completed the course and got the certificates/qualifications. I got a Christmas temp job then another job doing cat sitting which in still doing now while back in college doing functional skills level 1 English and maths. I'm trying to look into apprenticeships in animal care as that's a dream job however I can't really find any in my area my the other option is photography or maybe even business admin but animal care is at the too of the list.

I'm worried without GCSEs I'm not going anywhere in life I mean even with functional skills what can you do? I really want a car but worried I'm never going to afford one or get a decent job with pay not being too bad, I want to travel the UK and public transport is expensive. Everyone around me is successful in their own way, jobs, apprenticeships, not bad money coming in, cars, family... my friend too had bad grades and is now in an apprenticeship and has level 2 functional skills but I can't help think that'll never be me. What do I do?
Are there any other routes into Animal care besides apprenticeships?
Reply 4

Level 3 courses are A-Level equivalents. You can get into University with them.
Original post by heatherb54
Don’t give up is the best thing to do. Maybe you don’t have GCSEs now, but if you desperately need them later on, then you can sit them at any age. I’d suggest trying to get an apprenticeship in any way you can for right now, save up your money from jobs and then decide what you want to do after you’re done with that. If you don’t get a job straight away in what you love, just stick it out for a little bit until you have enough to do what you love. You’re gonna live a long life, just hold out and one day you will be working with animal care

Thank you, that made me feel better :smile:
Reply 6
Your still young and you are gaining lots of experience in your work with animals all of it will be beneficial in the end and like Heather said apprenticeships are wonderful way to earn and learn as d you are under 25. You actually have soo much going for you. Wishing You all the best, from a mature student :smile::smile:
Original post by Maleea
Your still young and you are gaining lots of experience in your work with animals all of it will be beneficial in the end and like Heather said apprenticeships are wonderful way to earn and learn as d you are under 25. You actually have soo much going for you. Wishing You all the best, from a mature student :smile::smile:

Thank you :smile:
Thank you :smile:

I’m so glad! If you ever need to talk, you can always message me :smile: I’m happy to help whenever. You can even have my snapchat if you want
Original post by ScarlettCake2
Can you go back to college? Night school to gain some more formal qualifications? Don’t know if it is something your are interested in but there are lots of colleges devoted to equines - you could go on to become a groom from there? Or similarly colleges devoted to agriculture - you could go on to work with cows, sheep, pigs etc. They are in no way as glamorous as playing with cute fluffy animals all day but it would be a job and an income!

This is one of the problems that come with the animal industry, everyone thinks you play with cute fluffy animals all day which isn't the case at all.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jdddd

I am considering pre access and access.
Original post by 04MR17
Are there any other routes into Animal care besides apprenticeships?

Yeah, but without GCSEs it's difficult to fund a decent level course. Some people get offered jobs after volunteering for a long time.
This life is nothing short of a redefining oasis of amazing conscious living my friend. Yesterday was nothing but a blip in the grand scheme of things. Today you are reborn. You look within and strengthen yourself.
Original post by TaintedLight
This life is nothing short of a redefining oasis of amazing conscious living my friend. Yesterday was nothing but a blip in the grand scheme of things. Today you are reborn. You look within and strengthen yourself.

What?

Haven't got any advice specific to your situation, but if GCSE's are holding you back then you could consider self-studying them again if you feel that you could have performed better.

What i would say though, is that at 18 you have plenty of time and are in no way a failure, don't compare yourself to other's and just focus on yourself.
Yeah, but without GCSEs it's difficult to fund a decent level course. Some people get offered jobs after volunteering for a long time.

You may have a long road ahead, but 18 is no age at all - you have plenty of time! Although paper qualifications do count these days, many small, local, employers will look past that if they know that you are hardworking, reliable and genuinely interested in the work. As you say, if you are able to find somewhere to volunteer (a kennels or cattery? a wild animal rescue centre?) long enough to show these qualities, that might help.
Are the lower level qualifications like the Level 1 Diploma in work-based animal care worth looking at? You probably know all about this, but here is a website anyway. Good luck.
Original post by OxFossil
You may have a long road ahead, but 18 is no age at all - you have plenty of time! Although paper qualifications do count these days, many small, local, employers will look past that if they know that you are hardworking, reliable and genuinely interested in the work. As you say, if you are able to find somewhere to volunteer (a kennels or cattery? a wild animal rescue centre?) long enough to show these qualities, that might help.
Are the lower level qualifications like the Level 1 Diploma in work-based animal care worth looking at? You probably know all about this, but here is a website anyway. Good luck.

Why is it a long road ahead?
Why is it a long road ahead?

If you feel you're already "failing life" at 18, then a couple of years further study or volunteering before you are in the place you want to be might seem like a "long road"? It isn't really, and hopefully, you're not feeling that way?
Original post by jdddd

"entry level 3", which is below GCSE
Original post by dsmith23
"entry level 3", which is below GCSE

Not everyone knows what entry level 3 is

Quick Reply

Latest