The Student Room Group

I want to apply to the open university

I am 20, finished my alevels nearly 2 years ago and really didnt know what i wanted to do. i didnt do as well as id liked at alevel, CCD, Psychology, Business and then Sociology. I also have a E in AS English Lit and Lang. Anyone got any ideas what i could study. Im working in hospitality and training to progress through the company so maybe something to compliment that? but i cant see myself studying business, i hated the finance side of things at Alevel...

I really wanted to go off to uni but i have a home and a life now, i dont want to leave it behind so OU is a good idea? Plus my partner did 4 years of Chemistry at Liverpool and is now not working in that field but doing well for himself so doesnt see why i would want to go off to uni. i just dont know what to do.
Have a look through their prospectus and see what appeals to you.
Original post by Duncan2012
Have a look through their prospectus and see what appeals to you.

i spent hours reading prospectus aged 16/17 and nothing ever jumped out at me to be a good subject for me. i probably had about 25-30 prospectus filling up my mums living room at one point :frown:
I really wanted to go off to uni but i have a home and a life now, i dont want to leave it behind so OU is a good idea? Plus my partner did 4 years of Chemistry at Liverpool and is now not working in that field but doing well for himself so doesnt see why i would want to go off to uni. i just dont know what to do.

I can leave a suggestion as tell you what I've done. I started engineering, applied for funding for two modules worth 30 credits each, so 60. You could do more however. Then I applied for brick university using these credits. Why would you have to leave your house, mortgage or something? You still get full funding from sfe for full time study as part time (OU is always part time regardless of the full time courses). So there is something to consider! I have no regretted my time with the OU, I can actually see myself missing it. I love essays and the freedom combined makes it so much easier to enjoy. Tutor is great too. Just look around, I changed my mind about the course I wanted to do with the OU many times! My chosen degree via ucas is also different to engineering haha.
Original post by KylieemilyJ
I am 20, finished my alevels nearly 2 years ago and really didnt know what i wanted to do. i didnt do as well as id liked at alevel, CCD, Psychology, Business and then Sociology. I also have a E in AS English Lit and Lang. Anyone got any ideas what i could study. Im working in hospitality and training to progress through the company so maybe something to compliment that? but i cant see myself studying business, i hated the finance side of things at Alevel...

Why do you want to do a degree?

If you dont have a loose idea of what you want to do career wise (and you know that that requires a degree) I dont really see the point in you going and doing one
Original post by madmadmax321
Why do you want to do a degree?

If you dont have a loose idea of what you want to do career wise (and you know that that requires a degree) I dont really see the point in you going and doing one

I will add on to this valid comment. You have to have a drive and interest in your degree choice or you're setting yourself up for failure.
What have you chosen to do OP? I can't see you regretting an open uni degree, they're not useless bits of paper, employers will respect you want to study AND work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending