The Student Room Group

Didn't get into Med School (2018 entry)

Hi there. I applied to study medicine at Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham and Newcastle.

UKCAT avg. :662.5
A level predictions:A*A*A*
GCSEs:6A*s 5As 1B

In hindsight, applying to the universities I did was a mistake. I've got rejections from Newcastle, Birmingham, and Cardiff. Although I could still get something from Bristol, I'm not hopeful. Any tips on what to do now? I'm going to reapply for next year.
Original post by Thizzumri
Hi there. I applied to study medicine at Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham and Newcastle.

In hindsight, applying to the universities I did was a mistake. I've got rejections from Newcastle, Birmingham, and Cardiff. Although I could still get something from Bristol, I'm not hopeful. Any tips on what to do now? I'm going to reapply for next year.

Why was it a mistake? Do you know why you were rejected and if not maybe ask for feedback. There's not much you can do apart from apply through clearing for another course or strengthen your application and try again next year.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Why kwas it a mistake? Do you know why you were rejected and if not maybe ask for feedback. There's not much you can do apart from apply through clearing for another course or strengthen your application and try again next year.

I believe my GCSE results were too low for Cardiff, and my ukcat was too low for Newcastle. Birmingham, their score calculator says I should've gotten an interview.
I believe my GCSE results were too low for Cardiff, and my ukcat was too low for Newcastle. Birmingham, their score calculator says I should've gotten an interview.

I'd ask for feedback. Meeting entry requirements doesn't = getting an interview invite.
Reply 4
Your profile is honestly pretty good, you just picked the wrong unis in the end. You would've gotten interviews at St. George's and Plymouth this year and most likely UEA too. Just focus on your A-levels and aim to get even better in the UKCAT and you could get 4 guaranteed interviews next year. You're better off applying to unis that look at both UKCAT and GCSEs rather than just GCSEs as although your GCSEs are very good, the unis that only look at GCSEs attract applicants who usually have at least 8 A*s.
Reply 5
Original post by alleycat393
I'd ask for feedback. Meeting entry requirements doesn't = getting an interview invite.

Yeah I understand that. I've asked all the unis that have rejected me for feedback. Any ideas of things to do in a gap year that may strengthen my application?
Yeah I understand that. I've asked all the unis that have rejected me for feedback. Any ideas of things to do in a gap year that may strengthen my application?

Really? That's highly unusual as feedback is written into the admissions process of at least two of your unis mentioned above. If you are serious about medicine go through the process of finding out why you were rejected.
Reply 7
Original post by mo08
Your profile is honestly pretty good, you just picked the wrong unis in the end. You would've gotten interviews at St. George's and Plymouth this year and most likely UEA too. Just focus on your A-levels and aim to get even better in the UKCAT and you could get 4 guaranteed interviews next year. You're better off applying to unis that look at both UKCAT and GCSEs rather than just GCSEs as although your GCSEs are very good, the unis that only look at GCSEs attract applicants who usually have at least 8 A*s.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I guess if I get A*A*A*, try to get some more work experience, and nail my UKCAT, I should be able to get in next time.

Sorry to hear that. You have strong stats, so definitely just take a year out, get more experience and reapply. When you redo your UKCAT, consider the universities which pretty much guarantee shortlisting for interview as long as you meet their cutoff etc.
Applying to study medicine is all about playing to your strengths. Look into universities which use during systems based on your stats and from here you can gauge your chances of getting an interview.
Best of luck :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you, that's very helpful. I guess if I get A*A*A*, try to get some more work experience, and nail my UKCAT, I should be able to get in next time.

your application was fine you applied to the wrong med schools hoewver. Next year go for ukcat/gcse ones or if your a levels are very good those that weight a levels too.
Pretty obvious what you did wrong here. If you had the same stats but applied to different unis you could have potentially gotten 4 interviews. Do your A-levels and take a gap year, they aren’t as bad as you may think of them.
Hi,

I’m currently a 3rd year medical student at UEA and I was in the exact same situation as you were 4 years ago. I applied to universities without really looking at my own strengths and weaknesses and had to take a gap year but it was definitely a blessing disguise for me!

For now I’d say to focus on your A-level grades and make sure you get your predicted and from there it’s quite simple. I made a table of all the medical schools and their entry requirements - what each med school looks for in particular and applied to my strengths. Meanwhile on my gap year, I did a bit of volunteering, full-time waitering (a job related to medicine isn’t necessary!) and travelled towards the end of the year.

Don’t let this get you do and concentrate on your studies!

Good luck - feel free to message me if you have any more questions!

Task UEA Official UG Rep
Reply 12
Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Hi,

I’m currently a 3rd year medical student at UEA and I was in the exact same situation as you were 4 years ago. I applied to universities without really looking at my own strengths and weaknesses and had to take a gap year but it was definitely a blessing disguise for me!

For now I’d say to focus on your A-level grades and make sure you get your predicted and from there it’s quite simple. I made a table of all the medical schools and their entry requirements - what each med school looks for in particular and applied to my strengths. Meanwhile on my gap year, I did a bit of volunteering, full-time waitering (a job related to medicine isn’t necessary!) and travelled towards the end of the year.

Don’t let this get you do and concentrate on your studies!

Good luck - feel free to message me if you have any more questions!

Task UEA Official UG Rep

Thanks for the response! Where did you travel in your gap year?
Thanks for the response! Where did you travel in your gap year?

No problem! I travelled to America, Fiji, Australia and South East Asia for 4 months before starting at medical school :smile:
Reply 14
No problem! I travelled to America, Fiji, Australia and South East Asia for 4 months before starting at medical school :smile:

Wow! Was that through companies or on your own? I'm definitely looking to travel if I have to take a gap year, which I likely will
Just apply smart next year and apply to unis you're more likely to get interviews at. It worked for me and I have a poor academic profile for a medical applicant

I had 2.5A*, 5A, 1 B,1C at GCSE and a 612.5 UKCAT average but I had 3 interviews and have two offers because I applied to places I feel like I could get it

Places I recommend:
Plymouth - their UKCAT cut off this year was 600

Liverpool - you meet their GCSE cut off and their UKCAT cut off was around 620

Cardiff - I know you got rejected this time around but if you get 3As, they will add that score to you're GCSEs

Manchester and St George's - I can't remember completely but their UKCAT cut off tends to be around the 650 mark
Original post by Omarmanutd
Just apply smart next year and apply to unis you're more likely to get interviews at. It worked for me and I have a poor academic profile for a medical applicant

I had 2.5A*, 5A, 1 B,1C at GCSE and a 612.5 UKCAT average but I had 3 interviews and have two offers because I applied to places I feel like I could get it

Places I recommend:
Plymouth - their UKCAT cut off this year was 600

Liverpool - you meet their GCSE cut off and their UKCAT cut off was around 620

Cardiff - I know you got rejected this time around but if you get 3As, they will add that score to you're GCSEs

Manchester and St George's - I can't remember completely but their UKCAT cut off tends to be around the 650 mark

Manchester tends to have a higher UKCAT cut off

Hi Thizzumri,

Sorry to hear you didn't get offers from your chosen universities.

As you noted that your choices weren't right for you, you might find our comparison tool helpful for figuring out which medical school requirements best match your grades!

It would be a good idea to take a step back and consider where you can improve (with the help of feedback from universities). Comb through your application to review what might be lacking. It might also be worth asking your parent or teacher to help you with that!

If you need help with performing better in the UKCAT, we have a free question bank which can give you more practice.

If you're set on taking a gap year, it's important to make sure you line up a lot of work experience opportunities to make it count and demonstrate your continued commitment to medicine.

Good luck!

Hope this helps :smile:
The Medic Portal
Wow! Was that through companies or on your own? I'm definitely looking to travel if I have to take a gap year, which I likely will

I initially planned to do it through companies but then realised with good organisation skills you can do it yourself for cheaper and be more free!
Reply 19
I initially planned to do it through companies but then realised with good organisation skills you can do it yourself for cheaper and be more free!

I'd love to travel to the exact places you've said tbh! Southeast Asia seems cheap and exciting, Fiji looks beautiful, and I'd love to explore Australia. Any tips you can give me? I was hoping you'd say do it alone, since I like to be free!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending