The Student Room Group

Speed Awareness Course

I think I might have been caught on Friday and I’m just wondering if anyone knows if new drivers within the first two years of having their licence can attend a course?
Depends how fast you were going. Past a certain threshold you're definitely getting the points and probably a short ban. As a new driver the increased insurance for having 3 points for speeding alone is bad enough to the point you may as well not have your license.

But yes, first-timers are usually offered the course unless you're like more than 20mph over.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Do you know if the offer of a speed awareness course or 3 points and fine is on the first letter I should receive or do I have to send anything back first?
You will get a letter on the letter it will state if you can do a course or pay a fine. However, if your insurance company asks if you have attended one of the speed awareness courses you have to disclose it.
Reply 4
Ok, thank you fingers crossed nothing comes of it, just need to pay more attention in furure
Original post by crizzle1994
I think I might have been caught on Friday and I’m just wondering if anyone knows if new drivers within the first two years of having their licence can attend a course?

How many mph were you doing? Remember, your speedo over-reads so don't be too worried.

But if you were caught then it's not the end of the world. You can either choose the points and fine, or if you're a first time offender then, as above, you can take a speed awareness course (which costs around £100).

You've got 14 days, from when the offence was committed, to receive the letter (aka the NIP).
Reply 6
Original post by RoyalSheepy
How many mph were you doing? Remember, your speedo over-reads so don't be too worried.

But if you were caught then it's not the end of the world. You can either choose the points and fine, or if you're a first time offender then, as above, you can take a speed awareness course (which costs around £100).

You've got 14 days, from when the offence was committed, to receive the letter (aka the NIP).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard multiple people saying that if you're within your first 2 years and take the speed awareness course, the points don't go on your license but they're noted and if you get caught a second time (on a 3 point penalty basis) then that's your license gone?
Original post by jack.lxt
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard multiple people saying that if you're within your first 2 years and take the speed awareness course, the points don't go on your license but they're noted and if you get caught a second time (on a 3 point penalty basis) then that's your license gone?

Not something I'm aware of, nor can I find anything whilst researching this.

@IWMTom you heard of this?
Reply 8
Not something I'm aware of, nor can I find anything whilst researching this.

@IWMTom you heard of this?

That's a load of, for lack of a better word (or two), bull excrement.

Original post by IWMTom
That's a load of, for lack of a better word (or two), bull excrement.

And there, you have your answer jack.lxt. :smile:
And there, you have your answer jack.lxt. :smile:

Just the older generation spreading FUD then

Probably just to scare young drivers, in order to stop them speeding. (Although, you shouldn't be speeding anyway :wink: )
Reply 12

Definitely!
Original post by IWMTom
Definitely!

Something to tell our kids when they're doing 175mph in their self-driving electric cars that run on Pony tears.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending