The Student Room Group

AQA Spanish A-level 7692 - 11 & 14 Jun 2018 [Exam discussion]

Is anyone doing the new spec for Spanish with AQA? If so, how are you revising - as there are so many different components to it I'm finding it quite difficult to keep up with it all! Any ideas??
Also, just out of interest, what other books and films are people learning about? Maybe we can share some resources for revision to help each other out?? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I've moved this to the Foreign Languages forum for you - hopefully you'll be able to find some help here :h:
Reply 2
Original post by may5890
Is anyone doing the new spec for Spanish with AQA? If so, how are you revising - as there are so many different components to it I'm finding it quite difficult to keep up with it all! Any ideas??
Also, just out of interest, what other books and films are people learning about? Maybe we can share some resources for revision to help each other out?? :smile:

Hi! I think, I'm trying to revise through mindmaps for each topic and the subtopics within in. Also, doing the exercises in the book.

For my book I'm doing La Casa De Bernarda Alba and for my movie - El Labrinto Del Fauno. I feel like Gradesaver has been really helpfully with revision.
Reply 3
Original post by may5890

How are you finding Spanish a level so far? I’m the first year on the new spec for GCSES to sit this year and want to take it for a Level.
Reply 4
Original post by Beth286
How are you finding Spanish a level so far? I’m the first year on the new spec for GCSES to sit this year and want to take it for a Level.

Hi!
I found that there was a MASSIVE step up from GCSE to A-Level with Spanish. You are required to know so much more vocabulary as well as knowledge of the Spanish speaking world than you are at GCSE (although I guess this was expected). I'm not sure what exam board you'd be doing your A-Level Spanish with but for AQA you have two speaking exams (an independent research project where you research a topic, give a 2 minute presentation on the topic and then discuss it for 10 minutes, and a card with three questions on which you discuss for 6 minutes), a reading, listening and translation paper and a separate writing paper where you write two essays on a film and a book - there is ALOT to learn.
One piece of advice I would give you is that you should not make your decision on just the grade you get - you really have to be dedicated to take it as it requires constant revision of materials (you can't cram for the A-Level!!) so you should have a passion for it if you're serious about taking it.
Despite all the hard work it is, I LOVE Spanish and I am looking to do it at University - I would definitely recommend doing it if you feel that you are capable of putting time aside each day to revise as it is so rewarding to know another language and culture at a more advanced level!
Hope this helps (sorry for the essay... :smile: )
Reply 5
Original post by DeStijlx
Hi! I think, I'm trying to revise through mindmaps for each topic and the subtopics within in. Also, doing the exercises in the book.

For my book I'm doing La Casa De Bernarda Alba and for my movie - El Labrinto Del Fauno. I feel like Gradesaver has been really helpfully with revision.

Thank you that is really helpful! Can I ask how you are finding Spanish as an A-Level?
Reply 6
Original post by may5890
Hi!
I found that there was a MASSIVE step up from GCSE to A-Level with Spanish. You are required to know so much more vocabulary as well as knowledge of the Spanish speaking world than you are at GCSE (although I guess this was expected). I'm not sure what exam board you'd be doing your A-Level Spanish with but for AQA you have two speaking exams (an independent research project where you research a topic, give a 2 minute presentation on the topic and then discuss it for 10 minutes, and a card with three questions on which you discuss for 6 minutes), a reading, listening and translation paper and a separate writing paper where you write two essays on a film and a book - there is ALOT to learn.
One piece of advice I would give you is that you should not make your decision on just the grade you get - you really have to be dedicated to take it as it requires constant revision of materials (you can't cram for the A-Level!!) so you should have a passion for it if you're serious about taking it.
Despite all the hard work it is, I LOVE Spanish and I am looking to do it at University - I would definitely recommend doing it if you feel that you are capable of putting time aside each day to revise as it is so rewarding to know another language and culture at a more advanced level!
Hope this helps (sorry for the essay... :smile: )

That’s okay Thankyou for the reply. Yes I understand that and with the new gcse it does involve some AS stuff. I got a 4 in my mock which was a pass without revising, however I really want to take it as it is the only subject I am extremely interested in and want to do for a Level, however the speaking exam aspect scares me as I’m quite shy when it comes to speaking a different language as I feel judged (I’m not sure if I make sense) but Thankyou for your help, good look in your exams :smile:
Reply 7
I know completely what you mean, the speaking is nerve racking but with practise you’ll get there! Just think no one’s judging you - you’re making the effort to learn another language! Thank you and good luck with your GCSE exam as well as your A-Level decisions!
Original post by may5890

For now I've just been doing duolingo, quizlet, essays and general speaking practice however closer to exams I'm not sure how I will revise.

At the moment I really need to focus on my IRP though, how have you found that?

Also my book is Como Agua Para Chocolate, and my film is Volver. I've got a few resources that I can share if anyone does the same as me.
Reply 9
Original post by may5890
Thank you that is really helpful! Can I ask how you are finding Spanish as an A-Level?

Honestly, it's been effort. BUT I do blame that on myself. I think the key is just keeping up with the work, meeting deadlines, knowing your stuff and you'll be fine. :smile: Having said it's effort, I love it! No regrets in picking it. And I'm sure if you currently love Spanish, you'd love it at A Levels too. :smile:
hi!! same exact a level as you, and i'm doing 'volver' for my film study and 'rimas y leyendas' by gustavo adolfo becquer for the book! for my irp i'm researching the extent of the influence of arabic on the spanish language, which should be interesting enough to talk about for two minutes haha. spanish is by far my favourite subject and i'm definitely continuing it to university level, no regrets at all! revising it is quite standard imo - if you can, find the textbook your course is based on, write down all the topics and colourcode them red orange and green as to how far you know them and revise the orange and red (and probably skim over the green just in case) - that's what i did, and there are countless recourses on the internet to help you understand stuff. ^^ i'm happy to help with anything if you'd like, for the mocks in january i got 100% over listening reading and writing, which is decent lmao. we haven't done speaking yet but i hope it goes just as well ^^
(edited 6 years ago)
any idea what the grade boundaries might me - i did a practise R,W,L specimen paper and not sure what grade it would be???
Reply 12
Original post by greycorns
hi!! same exact a level as you, and i'm doing 'volver' for my film study and 'rimas y leyendas' by gustavo adolfo becquer for the book! for my irp i'm researching the extent of the influence of arabic on the spanish language, which should be interesting enough to talk about for two minutes haha. spanish is by far my favourite subject and i'm definitely continuing it to university level, no regrets at all! revising it is quite standard imo - if you can, find the textbook your course is based on, write down all the topics and colourcode them red orange and green as to how far you know them and revise the orange and red (and probably skim over the green just in case) - that's what i did, and there are countless recourses on the internet to help you understand stuff. ^^ i'm happy to help with anything if you'd like, for the mocks in january i got 100% over listening reading and writing, which is decent lmao. we haven't done speaking yet but i hope it goes just as well ^^

I’m also doing Volver - how do you find it?? For the book I’m doing Crónica!

Your IRP sounds interesting - mine is on domestic abuse in Spain and I’m really enjoying doing it!!

Are you doing spanish at Uni?? If so where are you going? I’m doing it too!!

Thanks for the advice on revision your technique sounds really good so I’ll give that a go!! Your results were really good - I’ll be sure to ask you if I have any questions! 😊
Reply 13
Original post by chocolateoreo99
For now I've just been doing duolingo, quizlet, essays and general speaking practice however closer to exams I'm not sure how I will revise.

Also my book is Como Agua Para Chocolate, and my film is Volver. I've got a few resources that I can share if anyone does the same as me.

Hi!! That’s basically what I’ve been doing but I’m slightly panicking that all of that isn’t really going to work for the real exams 😬😬I feel like mindmaps could work as I’m quite a visual learner but I’m not sure if this will work for spanish...I think my IRP is what I’m most confident on to be honest - what is yours about? Mines on domestic abuse in Spain and it’s a really interesting topic!! How do you find Como Agua Para Chocolate? I’m doing Crónica for the book but I’ve read CAPC in my own time and I enjoyed it! I’m also doing Volver - if you have any resources to share that would be great!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ginawaton00
any idea what the grade boundaries might me - i did a practise R,W,L specimen paper and not sure what grade it would be???

I’m not entirely sure but my teacher is guessing that you need 75/100 to get a B and around 85/ 100 to get an A in the reading, listening and writing. Personally I think they’ll be a bit lower due to it being the first year (that’s what I’m hoping anyway!!)

Hi, which quizlets do you use? I'm also doing the same book and film! Would love to share resources if youre interested x
Hi :wavey: Nice exam thread! I've added it to our big list of exam threads here where you can find helpful threads for all the exams you're doing :h: If you feel like making any more exam threads, let me know the link and I can add it in as well! Happy revising :bl:

I'm doing Como Agua too!! I also study La Casa De Bernarda Alba. I'm finding the speaking cards so hard: they can literally throw anything at us!! Ugh!!
Original post by may5890
I’m also doing Volver - how do you find it?? For the book I’m doing Crónica!

Your IRP sounds interesting - mine is on domestic abuse in Spain and I’m really enjoying doing it!!

Are you doing spanish at Uni?? If so where are you going? I’m doing it too!!

Thanks for the advice on revision your technique sounds really good so I’ll give that a go!! Your results were really good - I’ll be sure to ask you if I have any questions! 😊

Hi, I’m doing both volver and crónica and I’m loving them both. Was just wondering how you were structuring your essays and what kind of context you were including. So nice to not be the only one studying these two. 😊
Reply 19
For those thinking of picking Spanish as their A-Level or are doing it - like me - I feel it's a really good course (although there's a ton of topics to memorise!)

I'm currently doing 'La Casa De Bernada Alba' for my book (start in september 2018), and 'Volver' as my film.

I live in Gibraltar (British Territory in the South of Spain) so I'm expected to do well, as my parents since a young age only spoke Spanish - even now to my sisters and I - but although writing and listening is something i'm confident in, the speaking assessment is really getting to me due to the fact that we find out the topics on the actual day.

If anyone has any resources that could help in summarising the themes and subthemes for the speaking assessment id be so grateful, and i'll try to help in any other way :smile:

Have mine on the 25th April - just under two weeks from today!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending