The Student Room Group

Independent Student Maintenance Loan

Hey,

Just applied for my student finance. I applied for both maintenance parts, the basic £4000 or so and up to the maximum £8,700. This showed up when I accepted the application however it now only shows the first £4000 amount on my application summary sheet. What happened to the rest? Am I not entitled to it as an independent student. I said I will not be work or have any other income...

I'm rather stressed so any answers will be awesome!
Original post by SpuggzUni
Hey,

Just applied for my student finance. I applied for both maintenance parts, the basic £4000 or so and up to the maximum £8,700. This showed up when I accepted the application however it now only shows the first £4000 amount on my application summary sheet. What happened to the rest? Am I not entitled to it as an independent student. I said I will not be work or have any other income...

I'm rather stressed so any answers will be awesome!

Are you over 25? If not, they'll need to assess your application to see if you meet the criteria for independent student status.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Are you over 25? If not, they'll need to assess your application to see if you meet the criteria for independent student status.

Yes, I will be 25 when the course starts.
Yes, I will be 25 when the course starts.

Hi SpuggzUni,

I just need to ask a couple more questions to give you some advice there.

When does your course start?

When do you turn 25?

Do you have a partner?

Thank you,

John.
Reply 4
My course starts September 2018.

I turn 25 in June of this year.

I have a boyfriend, he doesn't currently earn any money but will also be starting Uni in September however he will be under 25 at this time.
My course starts September 2018.

I turn 25 in June of this year.

I have a boyfriend, he doesn't currently earn any money but will also be starting Uni in September however he will be under 25 at this time.

Hi SpuggzUni,

Thank you so much for answering those questions.

If you're over 25 and living with a partner, we will normally ask for their financial details before the higher amount can be awarded. It sounds like we may be waiting for your partners details before we can offer the higher amount.

It may be worthwhile contacting us directly on Facebook or Twitter, someone there will be able to access your account and check if this is definitely whats happened.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Reply 6
I have asked on Twitter.

I don't live with my partner but do still live with my parents. I haven't been asked to provide any evidence as of yet, just to sign off the deceleration.
I have asked on Twitter.

I don't live with my partner but do still live with my parents. I haven't been asked to provide any evidence as of yet, just to sign off the deceleration.

Hi SpuggzUni,

You should have a reply on Twitter shortly, I do know they've received a high number of messages over the passed few days.

It sounds like your application has been non means tested (approved for the basic amount) but without access to your account I can't say for sure. I'd recommend giving us a call on 0300 100 0607, you should get through very quickly at the moment and someone there can access your account and check if this is what's happened and how to get it changed.

Kind regards,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest