The Student Room Group

Should I do science triple award or dual award?

I want to do Biology at A-level but no further. I find chemistry and physics really bard so it is mostly because of them I'm thinking about doing dual.
Reply 1
Which year are you in? If you're struggling in Year 11, I suggest going with dual, because you're going to be stressed out but if you're in year 10/9, stick to triple for now because you can always switch to dual if you feel overwhelmed. It also depends on how much you enjoy science as well and where your interests and strengths lie because there's no point taking triple if you lean towards the arts.
Original post by glitterprentiss
I want to do Biology at A-level but no further. I find chemistry and physics really bard so it is mostly because of them I'm thinking about doing dual.

Probably better to take dual then
If you aren;t interested in chemsirty or physics I'd just go do the dual. You will learn more than enough biology in the A-Level that dwarfs anything you would get in GCSE.

You should only do tripple science if you geenrally like all the sciences and would rather do more science than say another none science GCSE. Which is why I did it.

I would definitely go dual in your case. It's not essential to do triple to do science at A level. Hell, I did dual (thanks to my school screwing me over) and I then went on to do Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths. It's no problem. I think you should go dual honestly.
If you take triple, you can always drop down to double, and a lot of people say an A-Level science can be very challenging without having covered the same content as the rest of the people on the course. Do you know what other A-Levels you want to do? Biology can often be quite useless unless it's paired with Chemistry (though you can of course take other subjects such as Geography, Maths and Psychology which work well with Biology). If you think you would get better grades in and feel more confident doing double, then just take double, because while you will need to do some work to catch up at A-Level, it is doable:smile:
Original post by Oaklasaurus
I would definitely go dual in your case. It's not essential to do triple to do science at A level. Hell, I did dual (thanks to my school screwing me over) and I then went on to do Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths. It's no problem. I think you should go dual honestly.

Wow that's so cool!! What grades did you get at A-Level?
Original post by tooschool4cool
Wow that's so cool!! What grades did you get at A-Level?

I'm currently doing my A levels, predicted AAA, I got ABBD last year in AS (A in physics, D in biology, B in maths and chemistry) :smile:
I know a lot of people have already answered but consider this - if you're worse at chemistry and physics in triple you would get (for example) 9,6,6 (bio chemistry physics) but in dual this would be 8,7 or something similar. Dual would look more impressive as although you wouldn't have the extra GCSE your strength, biology, would cancel out the badness in other subjects. This is what my science teacher has said to my class.
Original post by nyxnko_
Which year are you in? If you're struggling in Year 11, I suggest going with dual, because you're going to be stressed out but if you're in year 10/9, stick to triple for now because you can always switch to dual if you feel overwhelmed. It also depends on how much you enjoy science as well and where your interests and strengths lie because there's no point taking triple if you lean towards the arts.

I'm in year 11. The only science I really enjoy is biology but I'm thinking of taking psychology at A-level.
Original post by tooschool4cool
If you take triple, you can always drop down to double, and a lot of people say an A-Level science can be very challenging without having covered the same content as the rest of the people on the course. Do you know what other A-Levels you want to do? Biology can often be quite useless unless it's paired with Chemistry (though you can of course take other subjects such as Geography, Maths and Psychology which work well with Biology). If you think you would get better grades in and feel more confident doing double, then just take double, because while you will need to do some work to catch up at A-Level, it is doable:smile:

I'm hopefully taking biology, psychology, sociology and either English language or French.
Original post by mundosinfin
I know a lot of people have already answered but consider this - if you're worse at chemistry and physics in triple you would get (for example) 9,6,6 (bio chemistry physics) but in dual this would be 8,7 or something similar. Dual would look more impressive as although you wouldn't have the extra GCSE your strength, biology, would cancel out the badness in other subjects. This is what my science teacher has said to my class.

That's actually a really good point, I didn't think of that
I'm hopefully taking biology, psychology, sociology and either English language or French.

What would you want to study at degree (if you know)? If it's Psychology (which I'm assuming it is) I would suggest you just do dual, because (as someone has already said) your results will be more impressive than if you took triple. You can catch up for A-Level Biology over the summer (as long as you don't choose to do all the sciences at A-Level because that would be far too challenging)! Good luck:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm in year 11. The only science I really enjoy is biology but I'm thinking of taking psychology at A-level.

If that's the case, you'll just not want to work hard for chem and physics because you don't enjoy them so it's easier to just take dual and if necessary, do some work over summer for bio. most of my friends who take bio say that it's very different from GCSE. psychology A-level doesn't require you to take triple science at GCSE but a level bio goes well with it.
ofc, it's up to you and what you want to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending