The Student Room Group

Chest infection

Hi all,
I came down with the flu last week and have now got a chesty cough with yellow discharge. No other symptoms.
I did go to my doctor last week and she prescribed antibiotics just in case. I haven't taken them but I'm thinking I should?
Reply 1
Original post by Tempzzz
Hi all,
I came down with the flu last week and have now got a chesty cough with yellow discharge. No other symptoms.
I did go to my doctor last week and she prescribed antibiotics just in case. I haven't taken them but I'm thinking I should?

Take them. That's the whole reason anyone goes to the doctor, Antibiotics!
Reply 2
She advised I took them if I didn't get better or if my condition got worse. At the time I had aches, fever etc but I generally feel okay now. Bar the cough of course.
Reply 3
Original post by Tempzzz
Hi all,

What's the discharge situation like and has your cough improved at all? Cough should have at least improved by now so I would suggest taking them.
Be sure to finish the whole lot once you've started.
Original post by Tempzzz
She advised I took them if I didn't get better or if my condition got worse. At the time I had aches, fever etc but I generally feel okay now. Bar the cough of course.

If the aches, fever and productiveness of the cough have resolved, then you probably don’t need the antibiotics.

An annoying dry cough can persist for a couple of weeks after a chest infection while your body is mopping up the damage caused by the bug. It doesn’t necessarily represent infection.

From what you’ve said, you’re getting better and your doctor has advised to take them only if you’re not improving or getting worse.
Original post by Tempzzz
Hi all,

get a Netti Pot and clean the bacteria living inside of your nasal cavity

Quick Reply

Latest