The Student Room Group

Tried to report girl to police but I get interrogated?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hannxm
In the link I shared in my original post you responded to.

"You can only report a vehicle with no MOT if it’s being driven. You can’t report it if it’s parked on the road."
https://www.gov.uk/report-no-mot

With an untaxed vehicle, then you can report it for just being on a public road.

I'm talking solely about tax here, sorry for the confusion.
Reply 41
Original post by Anonymous
So there is this girl that I didn't get on with years back but haven't really had any beef with her recently. Anyway I like finding out the history and specs on people's cars, and her car has been untaxed for over a year, and no MOT for months as well.

She drives it (or at least I assume so because I once saw her in a driving lesson, and the car seems to be randomly moved when I walk past her house from school)

I had let her know that she hadn't any tax (DVLA makes mistakes, yaknow?) about 6 months ago or something? Anyway she didn't act on it. I just randomly decided to check her reg plate yesterday and *boom* I saw the horror.

Reported it to the police on 101 as instructed by the DVLA website and the guy first said it wasn't a police matter and it was for the DVLA. I tried to tell him the DVLA themselves said it wasn't for them and had instructed me to ring 101. Then he tries taking down the details of her address and my address which I give but he then he keeps questioning me about why I am checking people's reg plates, if I check her plates often etc. etc. and I know he is trying to get me to slip up and make me out to be a stalker. Okay not a normal activity but I'm not stalking anyone! He keeps on being quite unfair, making *ME* out to be in the wrong when I'm trying to do the right thing.

Then he asks for her reg plate and I didn't want to fall into his trap because I knew he was trying so hard to make it seem like I am a stalker.

So now I feel really awful, I'm worried the police are going to come for me, and a dangerous driver IS NOT HAVING ANY JUSTICE!!!!!!

That wasn't an interrogation. They are standard questions the Police will ask. A Police officer may come to your address to ask some questions and they will go to the girls address to address the problem. You haven't committed any crime. However, you should leave this to the Police, its not a matter you should try and sort out yourself.
Do you no what, i like the fact you've reported her. Why should everyone else pay for there car to be taxed and mot and she be an exemption. the rules are there for a reason. And the way the operator was with you on the 101 call doesn't shock me, i mean its not a crime checking peoples reg, i bet your not the only one who does it. If anything you've done them a favour allerting it to their attention. She won't be able to get away with it for too long. There is always going to be people that call you a snake and stuff but if she crashes into them with no insurance then theyll change there opinion then won't they. Ive had a bad experience with a 101 operator before now, i called reporting seeing a drunk neighbour get into his car and drive away whilst holding a bottle of beer in his had, the response from the 101 person was how do you no he is drunk and how do you no the bottle of beer was open. Nice. Sometimes being a concerned citizen isn't enough. They would of been interested and wanted my time if hed of killed someone when drunk driving. Id say well done too you. As a driver who always pays for insurance, tax and mot. I appreciate people like you who help catch the people who don't. Thank you!
It is crazy how many people are justifying criminal behaviour
Original post by AperfectBalance

This.

I'm sure you will all be saying the same thing when an un-insured driver crashes into you.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
This.

I'm sure you will all be saying the same thing when an un-insured driver crashes into you.

"No officer, both our cars had these dents before the supposed crash"
"It wasnt anyones fault, nothing went on"
"Dont want to be a snitch now do I"
Says the guy now in hospital.

I think OP’s behaviour should be questioned as well, it’s a sketchy thing to do checking up on peoples personal details like that, especially when they have a grudge against them. Whether or not they found something isn’t the point, the intention behind doing what they did is shady.

Yes they should have insurance, but how deep into this persons life has OP looked to find something to persecute them and why? Whether or not this personal has committed a crime, their personal safety is still important.
Reply 47
Personally I would mind my business in these types of situations even if I don't like the person.
Original post by cat_mac
I think OP’s behaviour should be questioned as well, it’s a sketchy thing to do checking up on peoples personal details like that, especially when they have a grudge against them. Whether or not they found something isn’t the point, the intention behind doing what they did is shady.

Yes they should have insurance, but how deep into this persons life has OP looked to find something to persecute them and why? Whether or not this personal has committed a crime, their personal safety is still important.

So he checked a car reg, nothing really wrong with that nor is it stalkerish on its own, he then nicely told someone he disliked that they were comitting a crime. she did nothing about it and continued to be a criminal, the person reported them. Nothing even slightly stalkerish, the behaviour is admirable and upstanding
It's none of your business
I can deal with her car being untaxed, but if someone smashed into me and I then found their brakes were screwed and that they'd actually failed an MOT several months ago I'd be pretty fuming. She'll get caught eventually anyway.
It is good you reported her! Her car's brakes could be faulty and it could be any one of us she could crash into! An innocent person could die because of her carelessness. Thank you for reporting her, you could of really saved lives (:
Original post by bones-mccoy
It's none of your business

Well it would be if she crashed into you?
So he checked a car reg, nothing really wrong with that nor is it stalkerish on its own, he then nicely told someone he disliked that they were comitting a crime. she did nothing about it and continued to be a criminal, the person reported them. Nothing even slightly stalkerish, the behaviour is admirable and upstanding

When they reported it to the police, they didn’t tell the police her reg number because they didn’t want to be looked into as a ‘stalker’. So OP didn’t really do anything, apart from let to police know there’s a random car somewhere in the area that isn’t taxed. Hardly admirable or upstanding.

If I found out someone I had an issue with years ago checked up on whether or not my car was taxed, I would be freaked the f*** out. That’s not normal behaviour.

If OP has done nothing wrong, why are they so afraid of the police asking questions about the incident they’re reporting? Even info as simple as the reg of the car they are reporting? Why feel worried that the police are going to “come for me” if they are just being an upstanding member of society? Something is off with the story, it’s not just me picking up on this.
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
An untaxed car a car that doesn't have MOT or insurance is a danger to the roads and could cost people their lives.

I'm pretty sure that not paying tax, which appears to be OP's main issue, isn't a danger to anyone.

OP your action in actually making the report wasn't wrong in principle, but I'm struggling a little with your motivations. Why are you taking time out of your day to run private investigations on someone else's vehicle? You understand why this would raise suspicions, right?
Reply 55
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I'm pretty sure that not paying tax, which appears to be OP's main issue, isn't a danger to anyone.

OP your action in actually making the report wasn't wrong in principle, but I'm struggling a little with your motivations. Why are you taking time out of your day to run private investigations on someone else's vehicle? You understand why this would raise suspicions, right?

It's a financial nightmare if they crash into you!
Original post by TimmonaPortella

Ditto this. The problem with untaxed and uninsured cars is that they tend to be driven by reckless people; hence there is a correlation between lack of proper documentation and injury to other road users. Obviously if they're detected by the police and refuse to stop, this is additionally dangerous to other road users. But correlation =/= causation.
Original post by cat_mac

How is it "sketchy" in any way? The other party should've had their tax and MOT, full stop. Justice served.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 58
You should have taken a photo and reported it anonymously to the police. In fact you can still do this.
https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle

Please don't feel bad, why should you sit idly by while someone breaks the law and doesn't care. I have no sympathy for the tax dodger.
Original post by cat_mac

If OP has done nothing wrong, why are they so afraid of the police asking questions about the incident they’re reporting? Even info as simple as the reg of the car they are reporting? Why feel worried that the police are going to “come for me” if they are just being an upstanding member of society? Something is off with the story, it’s not just me picking up on this.

If a teacher accuses me of something false it's really not the end of the world but if the police start doing that then it's awful! You get treated like a criminal and they probe into your private life. A life I don't want anyone finding out about.

Maybe the guy is hiding something but to be fair I totally relate. It's a real shame he never managed to report the number-plate out of nervousness from THE SERVICES OUT THERE TO PROTECT US.

Quick Reply

Latest