The Student Room Group

Tried to report girl to police but I get interrogated?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
It's a financial nightmare if they crash into you!

Hm. I suppose it must invalidate their insurance.

I think the poster was suggesting that it would have been actively risking other people's physical wellbeing if the girl were allowed to keep driving, though, as opposed to just their wallets. That's what I was picking up on.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
How is it "sketchy" in any way? The other party should've had their tax and MOT, full stop. Justice served.

How is it not sketchy??
Justice not served, since OP didn’t give the police relevant information e.g. reg number.

Yes the other party should have had their tax, it doesn’t mean they deserve to have a stalker or old enemy trying to extract some kind of revenge on this person. OP didn’t have saintly intentions.
Original post by cat_mac
How is it not sketchy??
Justice not served, since OP didn’t give the police relevant information e.g. reg number.

Yes the other party should have had their tax, it doesn’t mean they deserve to have a stalker or old enemy trying to extract some kind of revenge on this person. OP didn’t have saintly intentions.

The other party shouldn't be on the roads full stop if they didn't have MOT or tax. The fact that you're defending someone which is risking other peoples lives on the road is "sketchy".
How is it "sketchy" in any way? The other party should've had their tax and MOT, full stop. Justice served.

It's not full stop just because you say it's full stop.

It can be true both that it was proper and desirable for the report to be made and that OP's behaviour was strange. There can be more than one aspect to a story.
Original post by DrSebWilkes
If a teacher accuses me of something false it's really not the end of the world but if the police start doing that then it's awful! You get treated like a criminal and they probe into your private life. A life I don't want anyone finding out about.

Maybe the guy is hiding something but to be fair I totally relate. It's a real shame he never managed to report the number-plate out of nervousness from THE SERVICES OUT THERE TO PROTECT US.

If there’s something in your private life that you need to hide from the authorities, that’s a biiig red flag.

If you call the police to report something but half way through realise that you’re exposed and hang up, OP probably isn’t much better a citizen than the untaxed car owner. If you’re innocent then you should have nothing to hide.
Original post by cat_mac
If there’s something in your private life that you need to hide from the authorities, that’s a biiig red flag.

If you call the police to report something but half way through realise that you’re exposed and hang up, OP probably isn’t much better a citizen than the untaxed car owner. If you’re innocent then you should have nothing to hide.

Okay, post up your entire facebook, whatsapp, snapchat history etc.

Nothing to hide, right?

I once had my teachers look through my entire facebook history over an incident and it remains to this day the worst thing that the teachers have done to me at school. Period.

They found nothing but it was sickening. I feel for OP!
Reply 66
Original post by cat_mac
How is it not sketchy??

Oh I see, you think the tax dodger should be let off the hook cos you don't like the guy reporting it.
I totally disagree with you:
1. the tax dodger should be reported, there is absolutely no excuse here.
2. If the other guy is stalking then the tax dodger can that to the police.
The other party shouldn't be on the roads full stop if they didn't have MOT or tax. The fact that you're defending someone which is risking other peoples lives on the road is "sketchy".

I’m not defending them, what they did is wrong. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t question OP.

People aren’t good or bad. We’re a mixture of both, and we all make bad choices. Even OP did a good thing by attempting to report someone, they are still capable of bad and their sketchy behaviour should be questioned. The untaxed driver doing something bad doesn’t mean they should be put in danger.
Original post by Tootles
Congrats on being an aspie but do you really have to say "sounds utterly autistic" like it was an insult? Too many people are treating "autistic" as the new "retard".

Thank you.
Being autistic doesn't mean you're a retard.
I think it means you are exceptionally cool.
I'm a member of Mensa too.
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Okay, post up your entire facebook, whatsapp, snapchat history etc.

Nothing to hide, right?

I once had my teachers look through my entire facebook history over an incident and it remains to this day the worst thing that the teachers have done to me at school. Period.

They found nothing but it was sickening. I feel for OP!

A teacher or the internet are a different audience to the police. The police don’t care about a bad picture of you (which could turn into a meme if the internet got its hands on it) they care about criminal behaviour. It’s not like the police are going to bully you on an online forum.

If the police wants it, they can have full access to my life. I’ve got nothing to hide.
Original post by ukrj
Oh I see, you think the tax dodger should be let off the hook cos you don't like the guy reporting it.
I totally disagree with you:
1. the tax dodger should be reported, there is absolutely no excuse here.
2. If the other guy is stalking then the tax dodger can that to the police.

Again, the tax dodger should be reported and face up to what they’ve done. I don’t ‘not like’ the guy who reported it, I think his behaviour is suspicious. If he’s terrified of the police finding out who he is or looking into his life, that’s a red flag to me.
Reply 71
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Hm. I suppose it must invalidate their insurance.

I think the poster was suggesting that it would have been actively risking other people's physical wellbeing if the girl were allowed to keep driving, though, as opposed to just their wallets. That's what I was picking up on.

Yes, it does invalidate any insurance they have.. if they have any, which is unlikely.
A Car not safe enough with no MOT should be put in a Crushah.
Wow just wow. Sad little busy body with nothing else better to do than go round keeping tabs of peoples number plates, in this case a girl. I know rejection is tough dude but no need to be a little rat about it and go grassing her up to the feds because you can't deal with it. You know you remind of my friends nextdoor neighbour who reported someone for picking a daffodil from a public green. Prime examples of the cotton wool nanny state world we live in.
Reply 74
Original post by angelofessence
Wow just wow. Sad little busy body with nothing else better to do than go round keeping tabs of peoples number plates, in this case a girl. I know rejection is tough dude but no need to be a little rat about it and go grassing her up to the feds because you can't deal with it. You know you remind of my friends nextdoor neighbour who reported someone for picking a daffodil from a public green. Prime examples of the cotton wool nanny state world we live in.

Picking a flower vs driving a car with no tax, MOT, or insurance... yeah...
Reply 75
Original post by priincee
then how about this argument:
you're driving along, just being a generally good driver. youve never had an accident or been caught speeding or anything like that, but then another car rams into the back of you. now this could be a complete accident: maybe they overestimated a turn or just generally accidentally slammed into the back of you, or this could have been because theyre a completely incompetent driver. either way this hit means that you cant drive your car, and when you try to exchange insurance you find that they havent got any
which now means that you have to pay for everything

That's not how it works. In the case of an uninsured or untraced driver, the aggrieved party claims from the MiB - they do not have to pay themselves.
Reply 76
Original post by pjm600
That's not how it works. In the case of an uninsured or untraced driver, the aggrieved party claims from the MiB - they do not have to pay themselves.

In the short term, they do, or they'll be without a car. MIB claims take a VERY long time.
Original post by angelofessence

You are an idiot.
Good on you.
Grass

Quick Reply

Latest