The Student Room Group

Should I stay at school for one more year?

I always used to be happy at school, but since starting secondary school, it has just gone downhill each year. I personally can't take another year of it, however, I don't know what to do next. I look at people out of school and starting to lead their own lives and feel a lot of jealousy.
Should I really stay for another year, or pursue something else?
I can't do my dream job until 21, I don't really know what to study at uni (probably missed UCAS deadlines anyway), and can't think of what else I can do.

Scroll to see replies

Hey have you thought about school leaver programmes or apprenticeships in your job area?

What area do you want to go into ?

As I don’t want to go to uni so that’s what I’m doing. I’m in year 13 at moment so taking alevels in summer.
Original post by Joe2001
I always used to be happy at school, but since starting secondary school, it has just gone downhill each year. I personally can't take another year of it, however, I don't know what to do next. I look at people out of school and starting to lead their own lives and feel a lot of jealousy.
Should I really stay for another year, or pursue something else?
I can't do my dream job until 21, I don't really know what to study at uni (probably missed UCAS deadlines anyway), and can't think of what else I can do.

What are you doing now at school? whats your dream career? Will what you are doing at school benefit your dream career? I wouldnt go to uni if you dont need to
My dream job is to become a Cruise Director. Not much people will have heard of that, but it is the person who runs the entertainment onboard a cruise ship and hosts many different shows. I have cruised multiple times since 2009, and although it is unlike me, I have actually became very passionate about it, and once I leave uni, would like to give it a shot. I am able to contact many of the ones whom I have met on social media, so they will be able to help me with how to apply, but as it is an American company, I would have to wait until I am 21.

As for now, I am trying to think about the next few years. I honestly am looking forward to a fresh start.
Original post by Joe2001
My dream job is to become a Cruise Director. Not much people will have heard of that, but it is the person who runs the entertainment onboard a cruise ship and hosts many different shows. I have cruised multiple times since 2009, and although it is unlike me, I have actually became very passionate about it, and once I leave uni, would like to give it a shot. I am able to contact many of the ones whom I have met on social media, so they will be able to help me with how to apply, but as it is an American company, I would have to wait until I am 21.

As for now, I am trying to think about the next few years. I honestly am looking forward to a fresh start.

Do you need a degree to do it though? if not then I dont see the point in going to uni for the sake of passing time

Another thing to consider is, is it hard to get into? as you still need to get money while trying to get into that so having a back up career is a good idea (ie doing a apprenticeship, doing a degree BUT one that leads to a career you wouldnt mind doing in case you dont get into the above etc etc)
This year at school, I am doing Higher Latin, French, History, English and Computing.
I like my subjects (mostly), but I hate the school and would feel slightly more motivated if I knew that I would be completely done in 3 months.
I have been a bit fed up with it for 2 years now, but I am really in need of a fresh start, and not another year of the same. I just simply have nowhere to go. No job, university course, anything. The time I did mention it to my dad, he got angry and suggested that I should work in Asda, which I found really insulting.
Original post by madmadmax321
Do you need a degree to do it though? if not then I dont see the point in going to uni for the sake of passing time

Another thing to consider is, is it hard to get into? as you still need to get money while trying to get into that so having a back up career is a good idea (ie doing a apprenticeship, doing a degree BUT one that leads to a career you wouldnt mind doing in case you dont get into the above etc etc)

Can't work on ships until 21, so that would be 4-5 years of nothing that I want to do. I do actually want to go to university to get a degree in something that I do like, and enjoy uni life. As far as I am aware, for Royal Caribbean (my desired company), you only have to complete higher education, which I am doing this year anyway. A degree would definitely help though.
Original post by Joe2001
This year at school, I am doing Higher Latin, French, History, English and Computing.
I like my subjects (mostly), but I hate the school and would feel slightly more motivated if I knew that I would be completely done in 3 months.
I have been a bit fed up with it for 2 years now, but I am really in need of a fresh start, and not another year of the same. I just simply have nowhere to go. No job, university course, anything. The time I did mention it to my dad, he got angry and suggested that I should work in Asda, which I found really insulting.

Aww yeah I can’t wait to leave aswell. I really need a fresh start away from my friends as fallen out with them now and they are just being horrible. Can’t wait to leave lol.

Tbh if you think about it’s not long left and then you will have your whole life ahead in what you want to do. Also having your alevels would keep all your doors open for you.

Hope this helps
Original post by Joe2001
Can't work on ships until 21, so that would be 4-5 years of nothing that I want to do. I do actually want to go to university to get a degree in something that I do like, and enjoy uni life. As far as I am aware, for Royal Caribbean (my desired company), you only have to complete higher education, which I am doing this year anyway. A degree would definitely help though.

Do they say it will help though? Don't just assume that because you have a degree it will help.

You should study something you like but tbh

1. if you are struggling to study now how are you expecting to find that motivation when you get to uni?

2. Whats the point in wasting your chance to do a degree if you dont want to do a career that requires it? if then later in life you want to do something else and that requires a degree but not the one you have you'll be stuffed as most people cant afford to pay for a second degree

3. Going to uni to enjoy 'uni life' isnt exactly a good reason to go to uni and most people who go for that reason drop out
Original post by Joe2001

why is that insulting? you need to do something between when you leave school and 21 to earn money, you cant expect your dad to support you until then
OK - let me elaborate further.
I am motivated to put in work for exams. I only achieved 8 A's and 1 B last year! I just feel that it would put me in a more positive mindset and would be an extra push knowing that this is my last one.

I do want to go to university. I'm not spending 4 or 5 years of my life working in Asda or any other minimum wage job, especially not anything in my town. What would I get out of that? The only reason that I would take on a crappy job would be for a part time gig which would enable me to help with uni costs. Certainly NOT for a full time job.

As for the "uni life" thing, I really need a fresh start in terms of social life. I want to actually befriend people for once, and possibly even find a boyfriend. I wouldn't get any of that if I stayed at school or in my hometown, and whilst I need to work hard, it isn't unreasonable to desire a social life, which I can really get from uni.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by pink2000
Aww yeah I can’t wait to leave aswell. I really need a fresh start away from my friends as fallen out with them now and they are just being horrible. Can’t wait to leave lol.

Tbh if you think about it’s not long left and then you will have your whole life ahead in what you want to do. Also having your alevels would keep all your doors open for you.

Hope this helps

I am in Scotland, where we do Highers instead of A-Levels, but the same still does apply.
I have no social life, never have at high school, and there is a particularly toxic individual in my life who I want to get rid of ASAP. In addition, there is 0 LGBT community at my school or my town, hence another reason why I want out.
15 months just seems ages away. I actually quite frequently dream about myself in 15 years time, with my desired lifestyle.
Original post by Joe2001
I am in Scotland, where we do Highers instead of A-Levels, but the same still does apply.
I have no social life, never have at high school, and there is a particularly toxic individual in my life who I want to get rid of ASAP. In addition, there is 0 LGBT community at my school or my town, hence another reason why I want out.
15 months just seems ages away. I actually quite frequently dream about myself in 15 years time, with my desired lifestyle.

Ahh okay. Ahh that’s the same as me now like fallen out with all my friends so like have no one now. So just can’t wait to leave now tbh.

I get what you mean as I have like only 3 months left and you have 15. Tbh I would see how you feel when you break up for summer and then if still isn’t good then maybe consider leaving and getting an apprenticeship. I then royal Caribbean do some worth having a look.

I’m same as you dreaming until I leave and get a job

Hope this helps x
I cannot see what an extra year would bring for me. When asked about it, I just say yes as I have nowhere else to go. I do genuinely do want to go to university, get a degree then hopefully get a job on cruise ships, and be promoted to Cruise Director after about 5 years with the company. Both of those things are what I want, but I simply just don't know what I want to do for next year. I'm just miserable at school and am in need of a fresh start. Simple as that. I only have one chance at life, so I don't want to waste it on something that I don't want.
Original post by Joe2001
OK - let me elaborate further.
I am motivated to put in work for exams. I only achieved 8 A's and 1 B last year! I just feel that it would put me in a more positive mindset and would be an extra push knowing that this is my last one.

I do want to go to university. I'm not spending 4 or 5 years of my life working in Asda or any other minimum wage job, especially not anything in my town. What would I get out of that? The only reason that I would take on a crappy job would be for a part time gig which would enable me to help with uni costs. Certainly NOT for a full time job.

As for the "uni life" thing, I really need a fresh start in terms of social life. I want to actually befriend people for once, and possibly even find a boyfriend. I wouldn't get any of that if I stayed at school or in my hometown, and whilst I need to work hard, it isn't unreasonable to desire a social life, which I can really get from uni.

Again why do you want to go to uni? There isnt really any point unless you have a loose idea of careers you want to do and they require a degree.

If you cant make new friends in your home town why do you think you will be able to do it at uni?
Original post by Joe2001
I cannot see what an extra year would bring for me. When asked about it, I just say yes as I have nowhere else to go. I do genuinely do want to go to university, get a degree then hopefully get a job on cruise ships, and be promoted to Cruise Director after about 5 years with the company. Both of those things are what I want, but I simply just don't know what I want to do for next year. I'm just miserable at school and am in need of a fresh start. Simple as that. I only have one chance at life, so I don't want to waste it on something that I don't want.

As I can tell you are really strong in what you want to do. Then go for it and leave school x
Original post by madmadmax321
Again why do you want to go to uni? There isnt really any point unless you have a loose idea of careers you want to do and they require a degree.

If you cant make new friends in your home town why do you think you will be able to do it at uni?

Well, you are a bit of a pessimist aren't you?
It's not as if I haven't been told by people that at uni you would meet more like-minded people. I am prepared to put myself out there. Also, being gay means that having an LGBT society at university will greatly help in terms of friends. I have lived in my town for 16 years, too many people are idiots that I don't want to associate with. "Neds" or "Chavs" as English people might say.

Plus, you do realize that most people go to uni? Why not get a degree? You aren't being very helpful, just being critical of my ambitions. I have my dad for that!
(edited 6 years ago)
As I can tell you are really strong in what you want to do. Then go for it and leave school x

Thanks for recognizing that I genuinely do have a passion for it. It's a shame that American companies wouldn't let an 18 year old apply. Must be 21. :frown:
If I was able to start it this year, I would. If I could go to uni this year, I would.
Original post by Joe2001
Thanks for recognizing that I genuinely do have a passion for it. It's a shame that American companies wouldn't let an 18 year old apply. Must be 21. :frown:
If I was able to start it this year, I would. If I could go to uni this year, I would.

Aww hope it all works out for you in the end x
Aww hope it all works out for you in the end x

Fingers crossed that it will. I can speak to those who work on ships when I am on my next one in July. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending