The Student Room Group

BREAKING: Israeli Police Recommend Indicting PM Netanyahu On Corruption Charges

Explosive news coming out of Israel as the Israeli police formally recommend that the far-right Israeli PM Netanyahu should be indicted for corruption, paving the way for the end of his fourth term reign (and potential start of a prison sentence).

This relates to a long-running Israeli investigation into Netanyahu's corruption in two particular cases: (i) "Case 1000" - Netanyahu received over $100,000 in gifts from billionaire supporters in return for promising to illegally advance their interests, and (ii) "Case 2000" - illegal secret talks with a major media publisher in which Netanyahu requested positive media coverage in exchange for Netanyahu promising to weaken a key media rival.

The police investigation has formally recommended indictments for both cases. Once the recommendations are passed to the Israeli prosecutors, the State prosecutors will decide whether to formally file charges.

The corruption probe took a shock turn last week when Netanyahu's former chief of staff (Ari Harow) became a state witness in the investigation against Netanyahu.

Officials from Netanyahu's own far-right Likud party have begun to distance themselves from his corruption-prone administration, amid separate corruption investigations against the PM's wife Sara for misusing public funds (and their son - Yair - is currently being sued in Israeli courts).

The Times of Israel report that a poll by Israel's Channel 10 found that 66% of Israelis believe that Netanyahu should resign if indicted. In addition, former Israeli PM Ehud Olmert faced similar corruption investigations and resigned pre-indictment, but was eventually sentenced to prison and served 16 months in jail.

Sources:

The Times of Israel (fantastic summary of all the issues)
NY Post
AP
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Benjamin Netanyahu has officially confirmed that Israeli police have recommended his indictment to State prosecutors.

His downfall begins...
Original post by Palmyra
Benjamin Netanyahu has officially confirmed that Israeli police have recommended his indictment to State prosecutors.

His downfall begins...

Netanyahu said "the allegations were baseless and it will end with nothing" so let's wait and see. I wonder if this will just end up going on for years like Trump and his alleged crimes or if there is actual direct evidence.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Netanyahu said "the allegations were baseless and it will end with nothing" so let's wait and see. I wonder if this will just end up going on for years like Trump and his alleged crimes or if there is actual direct evidence.

It was published from an official statement made by the police who presumably, have little incentive to make any false allegations. However, if any corruption was allowed to occur in the first place, it seems likely that he will be able to impose some sort of cover up to remain in power.
He is a psychotic, evil leader (although I respect the democratic decision of Israel) that has the blood of thousands of Palestinians on his hands.
Even the common Jewish population agrees that he is a hopeless leader, hope he serves a long prison sentence (which I highly doubt).

This is the result of a two-year long investigation involving multiple elements of the Israeli police, judiciary and politicians. Former allies of Netanyahu have agreed to act as state witnesses. This is not some random police dossier or agency report.

What exactly did you expect Netanyahu to say, “yes, it is true, I am guilty of the corruption charges”?

Maybe it will take his resignation/imprisonment to convince his most ardent fascist fans, but luckily enough that has a very good chance of occurring.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
This is the result of a two-year long investigation involving multiple elements of the Israeli police, judiciary and politicians. Former allies of Netanyahu have agreed to act as state witnesses. This is not some random police dossier or agency report.

What exactly did you expect Netanyahu to say, “yes, it is true, I am guilty of the corruption charges”?

Maybe it will take his resignation/imprisonment to convince his most ardent fascist fans, but luckily enough that has a very good chance of occurring.

Well no but look at Trump, he is obviously guilty as hell and yet the evidence is always just out of reach, no surprise when it comes to prosecuting your commander in chief things get a lot harder so I guess we'll see what comes of it.
Reply 7
Nice, hopefully he'll go soon
A good basic summary of these huge developments that leave Netanyahu's political career on tenterhooks by the FT:

[video="youtube;JQEYV3kFXag"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQEYV3kFXag[/video]
Great, more fun in Israel, The whole Israel thing was a bad idea.
Former Israeli PM Ehud Barak:

"The depth of the corruption that has been exposed frightening. Netanyahu must recuse himself."

The Chairman of the Israeli Yesh Atid party, MK (Member of Knesset) Yair Lapid:

"In a properly run country, a person against whom such heavy accusations are levied can’t continue to serve as prime minister.

Source.
Reply 11
Its been a known fact for a very long time. Bibi is not but a corrupt little quasi-fascist.
Reply 12
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
He is a psychotic, evil leader (although I respect the democratic decision of Israel) that has the blood of thousands of Palestinians on his hands.
Even the common Jewish population agrees that he is a hopeless leader, hope he serves a long prison sentence (which I highly doubt).

Might I ask why?
The Israelis have no respect for the democratic decision of the people in Gaza..
Original post by Napp
Might I ask why?
The Israelis have no respect for the democratic decision of the people in Gaza..

It seems that you continue with your staunch support of Hamas.
Hamas had threatened many civil servants and tellers to manipulate the vote during the 2006 election.
And the 2014 elections were blatantly rigged and so were courts. So it wasn't the democratic decision of the people in Gaza in fact a latest poll shows most Gaza citizens hate the radical ways of Hamas and want peace which is what Fatah offers
Original post by Palmyra

His downfall begins...

The upcoming fight among the Likudniks to replace him should make for a pretty good show.
:yay:
Original post by anarchism101
The upcoming fight among the Likudniks to replace him should make for a pretty good show.

They're all pretty much the same on most policy issues, so this scandal undermining Netanyahu/Likud's leadership/government is more beneficial than Netanyahu actually being replaced imo.
Reply 17
Well no but look at Trump, he is obviously guilty as hell and yet the evidence is always just out of reach, no surprise when it comes to prosecuting your commander in chief things get a lot harder so I guess we'll see what comes of it.

How can you say someone is guilty when there is no evidence?

It seems that you are using your dislike of trump to accuse him of crimes.

In the Israeli case he should let his deputy take over until the case is resolved, if he is found innocent he becomes pm again or if he is guilty jail
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
They're all pretty much the same on most policy issues, so this scandal undermining Netanyahu/Likud's leadership/government is more beneficial than Netanyahu actually being replaced imo.

Oh, I don't expect it to be a particularly ideological battle. If anything, I expect them all to try and outbid each other on the right (especially since they'll also be cautiously looking over the shoulder at Naftali Bennett), and portray the others as softliners. But Bibi has been around so long he's outlasted most potential rivals, and has been careful to avoid grooming successors. There's no-one else who holds anything like his status in the party, meaning that when he finally does go, a scramble seems likely.
Original post by Palmyra

Oh, I don't expect it to be a particularly ideological battle. If anything, I expect them all to try and outbid each other on the right (especially since they'll also be cautiously looking over the shoulder at Naftali Bennett), and portray the others as softliners. But Bibi has been around so long he's outlasted most potential rivals, and has been careful to avoid grooming successors. There's no-one else who holds anything like his status in the party, meaning that when he finally does go, a scramble seems likely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending