The Student Room Group

Wanting to change courses after first year at university

(edited 5 years ago)
All you can do is ask if you can do the necessary modules one year then do the second year the year after, however there would be funding issues with that. It'd be much easier to start again.
Go and speak to the course leader or if you have one then head of year, dont email them go and see them tomorrow, but I imagine you will need to restart the year.
Just go and explain your situation and what you want to do, as I said it is highly unlikely that you will be able to though. Why can't you restart the year? (if there is a legit reason also mention that if an offer of restarting the year is offered)
Reply 4
Have you contacted the director of taught modules for the maths department? His name is Mark Walters.
Yeah thats not going to be a valid excuse and its not really a waste of another year if it means it allows you to study the course you want to do (when I meant valid excuse I was talking about say you didnt have the funding left as you had used your gift year already or something).

Theres no harm in going and speaking to them though no one but them will know if you can change or not. The longer you leave it the less chance you have of changing, have you tried seeing them yet?

The other way you might be able to spin it is say you will self teach the missed maths and do the exams in the august resit period, but as I said before it totally depends on the departments policies, they are the ones with the answers, no one on here, no other student that 'heard' of someone changing etc etc
(edited 6 years ago)
just skip a lecture to go see them, as I said the longer you leave it now the less likely (in a already unlikely situation) they will be to consider the change, days matter now as you've not only missed the first semesters work but the longer you leave it the more of this semesters work you miss

Yeah just ask them if you can gain access to the module slides you'd be willing to self teach the material and sit the exam in the resit period, this is the only way I would see you being able to get them to let you change without resitting the year (which is the better and smarter option anyway imo but you said you dont want to resit the year)

As I said though be prepared for a no, its a lot of work and the uni might just not let people do that (otherwise lots of people would change courses halfway through their first year) plus learning the new way of going at pure maths takes a good amount of time and the stuff from 1st semester may be pre req for 2nd semester modules, making them even harder as you will be missing that knowledge (hence why resitting would be the smarter choice)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending