The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Mature Students 2018 Entry

Thought I would start a discussion for the mature students who are starting at Glasgow for 2018 entry.

Being a mature student can be daunting for some, so I think this would be a nice way of breaking the ice, and maybe make some friends.

Name: Joshua
Where are you currently from: Cardiff
What course applying for: Marine and Freshwater Biology
What are you currently studying: Bioscience: Access to HE
Current offer status: Glasgow have given me a conditional offer which I plan on making my firm choice. I also have 3 other conditional offers from Liverpool, Swansea and Sparsholt. Awaiting confirmation from Newcastle.
Any concerns or doubts: My concern is that being a mature student, I am slightly worried being amongst people fresh out of college may be a bit immature. Also accommodation is a concern, would hopefully be amongst other mature students.
Original post by janthony19
Thought I would start a discussion for the mature students who are starting at Glasgow for 2018 entry.

Being a mature student can be daunting for some, so I think this would be a nice way of breaking the ice, and maybe make some friends.

Name: Joshua
Where are you currently from: Cardiff
What course applying for: Marine and Freshwater Biology
What are you currently studying: Bioscience: Access to HE
Current offer status: Glasgow have given me a conditional offer which I plan on making my firm choice. I also have 3 other conditional offers from Liverpool, Swansea and Sparsholt. Awaiting confirmation from Newcastle.
Any concerns or doubts: My concern is that being a mature student, I am slightly worried being amongst people fresh out of college may be a bit immature. Also accommodation is a concern, would hopefully be amongst other mature students.

This is a good idea. Congrats on your offers btw!

Name: Theo Age: 28
Where are you currently from: Coventry What course applying for: Neuroscience What are you currently studying: Access in life and biological sciences
Current offer status: Ive only applied for Glasgow and I’ve received a conditional offer from them
Any concerns or doubts: I feel the same way about being a mature student and accommodation. Wondering whether or not we’ll fit in!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Theotaylor
This is a good idea. Congrats on your offers btw!

Name: Theo Age: 28
Where are you currently from: Coventry What course applying for: Neuroscience What are you currently studying: Access in life and biological sciences
Current offer status: Ive only applied for Glasgow and I’ve received a conditional offer from them
Any concerns or doubts: I feel the same way about being a mature student and accommodation. Wondering whether or not we’ll fit in!

Thank you! Congrats to you too!
Should be an interesting degree.

Glasgow will be my #1 choice. I've been looking around and there are quite a few student accommodation buildings around the university. Just have to snap them up pretty quickly.
Reply 3
Name: Katie
Where are you currently from: Miami, Florida, United States (originally Indianapolis, Indiana)
What course applying for: MSc in Art History: Collecting and Provenance in an International Context
What are you currently studying: N/A: have an M.A. (Master of Arts) in Museum Studies from an American university. Currently working at an art museum in Miami.
Current offer status: Accepted unconditional offer
Any concerns or doubts: Accommodation is a big concern, especially since I like to cook and would prefer to have an oven, not just a range top and microwave. Of course, as an international student, cost is a big concern as well.
1 year mature student (28) at Glasgow Uni so I can maybe address some of those concerns.

Most people are 18/17. And yes, lots of them are immature and cliquey (especially if they've all came from the same highschool). I would honestly avoid student accommodation, find a flat-share. People I've spoken to are paying £400-1000 a month for a room the size of a cupboard. Shared bathroom, shared kitchen and no living room. Look around south-side. Nice area with pubs, lots of people in their 20s/30s and a nightlife. You can also get a 1bed flat for £500-600 (within walking distance to the subway) in which you have your own shower, kitchen, livingroom, etc. Detrimental to getting to know other students but I would feel weird staying with 18yo/s and honestly could not justify paying that price for those atrocious rooms.

The STEM classes seem to be all kids fresh out of high school whereas the socscience (business/economics/finance/etc) have a more even spread and quite a few people in their 20s.

There is a mature students (25+) union but I haven't ventured that far yet. Done enough partying in my 20s to not have to subject myself to student nights in Viper.

But don't let that put you off, Glasgow is great uni and a great city - you'll all do fine providing you put yourselves out there!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi guys,

Congratulations to those of you who have places at Glasgow University and good luck to those of you who are waiting.

If some of you are thinking about accommodation already I would like to point you in the direction of the site I work at, Bridge House. We are a 128 bed student accommodation residence about 10 minutes walk from Glasgow University. We're particularly popular with mature students, hence my reason for posting on this thread.

If you aren't keen to live with younger students away from home from the first time but feel a bit worried about privately renting/house sharing, we could be a great option for you. We comprise 6 bed shared flats with en-suite rooms, plenty of study/social space and staff on site - all while being within a short walk of the University and the West End of Glasgow. So we're a great option for you to have a safe base to live in, a chance to meet some like minded people of a similar age and have your rent/bills included in easy payments.

If you would like any more information, have a look at our website: http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/property/bridge-house/

Good luck with your courses!
Reply 6
Original post by kkeck
Name: Katie
Where are you currently from: Miami, Florida, United States (originally Indianapolis, Indiana)
What course applying for: MSc in Art History: Collecting and Provenance in an International Context
What are you currently studying: N/A: have an M.A. (Master of Arts) in Museum Studies from an American university. Currently working at an art museum in Miami.
Current offer status: Accepted unconditional offer
Any concerns or doubts: Accommodation is a big concern, especially since I like to cook and would prefer to have an oven, not just a range top and microwave. Of course, as an international student, cost is a big concern as well.

Congratulations on your offer Katie. That's awesome!!
Most student accommodation should provide an oven, so I would not worry to much. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by unomie
1 year mature student (28) at Glasgow Uni so I can maybe address some of those concerns.

Most people are 18/17. And yes, lots of them are immature and cliquey (especially if they've all came from the same highschool). I would honestly avoid student accommodation, find a flat-share. People I've spoken to are paying £400-1000 a month for a room the size of a cupboard. Shared bathroom, shared kitchen and no living room. Look around south-side. Nice area with pubs, lots of people in their 20s/30s and a nightlife. You can also get a 1bed flat for £500-600 (within walking distance to the subway) in which you have your own shower, kitchen, livingroom, etc. Detrimental to getting to know other students but I would feel weird staying with 18yo/s and honestly could not justify paying that price for those atrocious rooms.

The STEM classes seem to be all kids fresh out of high school whereas the socscience (business/economics/finance/etc) have a more even spread and quite a few people in their 20s.

There is a mature students (25+) union but I haven't ventured that far yet. Done enough partying in my 20s to not have to subject myself to student nights in Viper.

But don't let that put you off, Glasgow is great uni and a great city - you'll all do fine providing you put yourselves out there!

Thanks for the info! That's really useful!
Reply 8
Thanks! I found somewhere to stay with a real oven. It's one of the third party student halls with little studio flats. It's small and expensive for the size but it's close to the university and I couldn't imagine finding a real apartment when I don't live in the UK, let alone Glasgow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending