The Student Room Group

Making notes

How do you guys revise? Does making notes count as revision? Or do you just sit down and read through your pages of notes?

I'm currently in the process of making as much notes as I can to aide me later on but I feel like I'm not doing any revision as note making is not considered as revising. When did you guys have your notes finished by? I plan to have my notes finished by mid-march. Do you reckon I'll have enough time between mid-march and beginning of may to full revise everything?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by thedecorator33
How do you guys revise? Does making notes count as revision? Or do you just sit down and read through your pages of notes?

I'm currently in the process of making as much notes as I can to aide me later on but I feel like I'm not doing any revision as note making is not considered as revising. When did you guys have your notes finished by? I plan to have my notes finished by mid-march. Do you reckon I'll have enough time between mid-march and beginning of may to full revise everything?

Sitting down and reading through notes is very ineffective! I don’t know anyone who can actually retain information this way.

Writing things out, answering questions, completing worksheets etc. are far better methods of revising. You just need to keep going over it again and again.
Original post by ruthflame57
Sitting down and reading through notes is very ineffective! I don’t know anyone who can actually retain information this way.

Writing things out, answering questions, completing worksheets etc. are far better methods of revising. You just need to keep going over it again and again.

Thank you for the helpful response. If you don't mind me asking, when did you have your notes for GCSEs finished by? And, do you think they were of any particular use for you, as I have heard from some people that they are just a waste of time and I should focus on past papers.
Reply 3
Original post by thedecorator33
Thank you for the helpful response. If you don't mind me asking, when did you have your notes for GCSEs finished by? And, do you think they were of any particular use for you, as I have heard from some people that they are just a waste of time and I should focus on past papers.

Not all of my notes from class were useful because they were full of too much information that I would never possibly remember even if I tried. Past papers are incredibly important but for topics like History I was continually making notes right up until the day before the exam just to solidify my knowledge. So in that sense I never really ‘finished’ my notes and I don’t think there’s a set time to finish them by. I find note taking works the best for me so that’s my main revision method. I would say you definitely need to allow enough time to go over the topics multiple times.
I find flash cards are good for revision as you can test yourself whilst writing them out then use them later. I use quizlet to make them so you dont have loads of cards, but all on your phone instead. Also trying to explain things to people are also good to make you understand it more.
Original post by ruthflame57
Not all of my notes from class were useful because they were full of too much information that I would never possibly remember even if I tried. Past papers are incredibly important but for topics like History I was continually making notes right up until the day before the exam just to solidify my knowledge. So in that sense I never really ‘finished’ my notes and I don’t think there’s a set time to finish them by. I find note taking works the best for me so that’s my main revision method. I would say you definitely need to allow enough time to go over the topics multiple times.

Thank your for the very helpful response. I will make sure to allow enough time to go over all the topics I need to know.
Original post by Hollllyyyy
I find flash cards are good for revision as you can test yourself whilst writing them out then use them later. I use quizlet to make them so you dont have loads of cards, but all on your phone instead. Also trying to explain things to people are also good to make you understand it more.

I also use quizlet and I agree, it is a very good way to revise, especially for languages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending