The Student Room Group

Why is chemistry a level highly recommend alongside biology?

So I absolutely cannot stand Chemistry currently at GCSE, and I went to the open evening at a sixth form and they said only those who take chemistry a level get the highest grades, but why? Biology is about the human body and chemistry is to do with molecules outer shells etc? I am taking biology because I like it and find it interesting, so why am I being told that I might be given extra chemistry work because surely it’s a completely different subject and only needed for medicine??

Scroll to see replies

Biology A level is despicable.
Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by icequeenTM
Good luck.

Why??
I don't do biology but there some links in organic chemistry where I have been at a disadvantage such as amino acids, proteins and DNA.

However, I feel taking maths and physics gives me a much greater advantage over biology in chemistry.

What do you want to do after alevels?
Original post by Beth286
Why??

It’s not even about what you’ve described, majority of it is learning about f*cking plants. Furthermore it’s so in depth and it requires extensive application I absolutely hated it. Whereas Chemistry I LOVED.
Reply 6
Original post by BTAnonymous
I don't do biology but there some links in organic chemistry where I have been at a disadvantage such as amino acids, proteins and DNA.

However, I feel taking maths and physics gives me a much greater advantage over biology in chemistry.

What do you want to do after alevels?

No clue maybe either Spanish or immunology at uni
Reply 7
It’s not even about what you’ve described, majority of it is learning about f*cking plants. Furthermore it’s so in depth and it requires extensive application I absolutely hated it. Whereas Chemistry I LOVED.

What did you love about chemistry?
I'd say (from experience) Biology is a real application of Chemistry. Whilst you might not need Chemistry to succeed in Biology, I found myself having a much more enriched understanding in some of the concepts and processes because of the nature of the components involved in relation to their Chemistry.

Biology is a mix of human and other, in essence a study of all living things. Living things are brought about by molecules, so there's a pretty clear link.

For example, in the processes of Photosynthesis and Human Respiration, to understand the reasoning behind the molecules behaving the way they did gave me real background and support to understanding the concepts themselves.
Original post by Beth286
No clue maybe either Spanish or immunology at uni

any careers in mind?
Good luck.

u got that right m8
Original post by Beth286
What did you love about chemistry?

Less application and it was just logic and it was straightforward. There was always a sequence to everything. Biology was the opposite.
Reply 12
Chemistry is an essiential requirement for most science courses in uni, and links to biology. Biology alone, is just based on really good memory skills, with a context and application exam, and this results in low grade boundaries. There is more than the "human body" in that joke of a subject.
Reply 13
Original post by BTAnonymous
any careers in mind?

Spanish teacher/tutor or immunologist.
Reply 14
Original post by 98Lauren98
I'd say (from experience) Biology is a real application of Chemistry. Whilst you might not need Chemistry to succeed in Biology, I found myself having a much more enriched understanding in some of the concepts and processes because of the nature of the components involved in relation to their Chemistry.

Biology is a mix of human and other, in essence a study of all living things. Living things are brought about by molecules, so there's a pretty clear link.

For example, in the processes of Photosynthesis and Human Respiration, to understand the reasoning behind the molecules behaving the way they did gave me real background and support to understanding the concepts themselves.

Would you recommend me not taking biology then??
Less application and it was just logic and it was straightforward. There was always a sequence to everything. Biology was the opposite.

So should I not take biology then??
Biology is pure aids, i'd stay way clear of the subject from A-Level
Reply 16
Original post by CopyThat
Biology is pure aids, i'd stay way clear of the subject from A-Level

Why?? What’s so bad about it? What’s the difference between gcse?
Original post by Beth286
Why?? What’s so bad about it? What’s the difference between gcse?

There's much more detail, you have to be able to apply the content to every scenario possible, AQA are known for putting biological concepts into difficult contexts and that at A-Level is even harder,

Honestly if you have a passion for biology i'd say go for it but be prepared for some intense in depth learning, there's a hell of a lot to get your head around, it's certainly not an easy 2 years.

If i could go back i'd have dropped biology and kept business personally.

- To add I've just done my mocks and i got AAD
Guess what my D was in...

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Beth286
So I absolutely cannot stand Chemistry currently at GCSE, and I went to the open evening at a sixth form and they said only those who take chemistry a level get the highest grades, but why? Biology is about the human body and chemistry is to do with molecules outer shells etc? I am taking biology because I like it and find it interesting, so why am I being told that I might be given extra chemistry work because surely it’s a completely different subject and only needed for medicine??

Chemistry is probably more important than Biology. they are a very strong combination and make entry onto many stem degrees possible. If you dont like it then dont do it.
Original post by Beth286
Would you recommend me not taking biology then??

So should I not take biology then??

If you really enjoy Biology then go for it but (And I know you hear this a lot) you have to be ready to put in some serious work, a LOT of work.

Quick Reply

Latest