The Student Room Group

FP2 Differential equations Help

Find the solution to the differential equation (4-x^2)^1/2 dy/dx = (4-y^2) ^1/2 for which y= -1 and x=1.

I just don't know how to integrate (4-y^2)^1/2 = (4-y^2)^1/2

Can someone please help
Original post by ChemBoy1
Find the solution to the differential equation (4-x^2)^1/2 dy/dx = (4-y^2) ^1/2 for which y= -1 and x=1.

Can someone please help

Not sure what the second line means.

Use the substitution x=2sinu.

Can someone please help

(4x2)1/2dydx=(4y2)1/2(4y2)1/2.dy=(4x2)1/2.dx(4y2)1/2.dy=(4x2)1/2.dx\begin{aligned} (4-x^2)^{1/2} \dfrac{dy}{dx} = (4-y^2)^{1/2} & \Leftrightarrow (4-y^2)^{-1/2} .dy = (4-x^2)^{-1/2} .dx \\ & \Leftrightarrow \int (4-y^2)^{-1/2} .dy = \int (4-x^2)^{-1/2} .dx \end{aligned}

Then just use two subs:

x=2sinux= 2 \sin u
y=2sinvy= 2 \sin v
Update: I managed to get the equation as arcsin y/2 = arcsin x/2 +c. The question asks to express my answer in a form not involving trig functions. I don't see how I can do that.

Thanks
Update: I managed to get the equation as arcsin y/2 = arcsin x/2 +c. The question asks to express my answer in a form not involving trig functions. I don't see how I can do that.

Thanks

First of all, determine what cc is.

Then, write y2=sin(arcsinx2+c)\dfrac{y}{2}=\sin \left( \arcsin \dfrac{x}{2} + c \right) and then apply the compound angle formula on the RHS.
I got c as pi/3. Ho do I convert it to an expression not involving trig functions?
Original post by RDKGames
First of all, determine what cc is.

Then, write y2=sin(arcsinx2+c)\dfrac{y}{2}=\sin \left( \arcsin \dfrac{x}{2} + c \right) and then apply the compound angle formula on the RHS.
I got c as pi/3. Ho do I convert it to an expression not involving trig functions?

Read my post - I answered that question...
Sorry just saw that thanks. How can you use compound angle formula because i still got Sin (Sin-1 x) etc.
Read my post - I answered that question...
Sorry just saw that thanks. How can you use compound angle formula because i still got Sin (Sin-1 x) etc.

sinarcsinx2=x2\sin \arcsin \frac{x}{2} = \frac{x}{2} (obviously) so, we just need cosarcsinx2\cos \arcsin \frac{x}{2}. If we denote arcsinx2=θ\arcsin \frac{x}{2} = \theta then we have sinθ=x2\sin \theta = \frac{x}{2} and we can use a right-angled triangle to determine what cosθ\cos \theta is.

EDIT: Or just use cosθ=1sin2θ\cos \theta = \sqrt{1-\sin^2 \theta} for this part.
(edited 6 years ago)
Still confused with the right angle triangle thing. becuase the hyp = 2 and the opp = x. The adj would just be a separate variable and that would not work? Could you please help me out?
sinarcsinx2=x2\sin \arcsin \frac{x}{2} = \frac{x}{2} (obviously) so, we just need cosarcsinx2\cos \arcsin \frac{x}{2}. If we denote arcsinx2=θ\arcsin \frac{x}{2} = \theta then we have sinθ=x2\sin \theta = \frac{x}{2} and we can use a right-angled triangle to determine what cosθ\cos \theta is.

EDIT: Or just use cosθ=1sin2θ\cos \theta = \sqrt{1-\sin^2 \theta} for this part.
Still confused with the right angle triangle thing. becuase the hyp = 2 and the opp = x. The adj would just be a separate variable and that would not work? Could you please help me out?

The adj would just be sqrt(hyp^2-opp^2) by Pythagoras
The book got y= 1/2 x - 1/2x (3(4-x^2))^1/2.

I got no where near that answer, could you help elaborate.
FYI values are y= -1 and x=1
The book got y= 1/2 x - 1/2x (3(4-x^2))^1/2.

I got no where near that answer, could you help elaborate.
FYI values are y= -1 and x=1

OK, first of all, cπ3c \neq \frac{\pi}{3}. It is in fact c=π3c= -\frac{\pi}{3}

Next, we have
y2=sin(arcsinx2π3)=sin(arcsinx2)cos(π3)sin(π3)cos(arcsinx2)=x212321x24\begin{aligned} \dfrac{y}{2} & = \sin \left( \arcsin \frac{x}{2} - \frac{\pi}{3} \right) \\ & = \sin \left( \arcsin \frac{x}{2} \right) \cos \left( \frac{\pi}{3} \right) - \sin \left( \frac{\pi}{3} \right) \cos \left( \arcsin \frac{x}{2} \right) \\ & = \frac{x}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{2} - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \cdot \sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{4}} \end{aligned}

Finish it off.
Nearly got it, except for how they got 3(4-x^2)^1/2
OK, first of all, cπ3c \neq \frac{\pi}{3}. It is in fact c=π3c= -\frac{\pi}{3}

Next, we have
y2=sin(arcsinx2π3)=sin(arcsinx2)cos(π3)sin(π3)cos(arcsinx2)=x212321x24\begin{aligned} \dfrac{y}{2} & = \sin \left( \arcsin \frac{x}{2} - \frac{\pi}{3} \right) \\ & = \sin \left( \arcsin \frac{x}{2} \right) \cos \left( \frac{\pi}{3} \right) - \sin \left( \frac{\pi}{3} \right) \cos \left( \arcsin \frac{x}{2} \right) \\ & = \frac{x}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{2} - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \cdot \sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{4}} \end{aligned}

Finish it off.
Nearly got it, except for how they got 3(4-x^2)^1/2

Factor out 1/4 inside the root, then bring that factor outside the root. Similarly, merge root(3) with the main root since ab=ab\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}
Thank you so much! You have helped a lot! Sorry if I have sounded very silly to you.
Factor out 1/4 inside the root, then bring that factor outside the root. Similarly, merge root(3) with the main root since ab=ab\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}
Thank you so much! You have helped a lot! Sorry if I have sounded very silly to you.

:thumbsup:

Quick Reply

Latest