The Student Room Group

CGP enough for grade 9 in triple science?

Title says all. If I use CGP to get the knowledge and then get my exam technique, will I get straight 9s(bear in mind everyone else will be doing the exact same making those 9s more difficult)? Are the top 2-5% of the country doing this?

Scroll to see replies

I would advise against it, but if you're very clever then it may just get you a 9. However I would strongly advise against that...
Original post by mundosinfin
I would advise against it, but if you're very clever then it may just get you a 9. However I would strongly advise against that...

What do you recommend using?
Yes - but use other things as well

write your own notes, condense them etc
past papers
youtube videos
I wrote notes from the CGP revision guides for the old triple science course and managed to get A*A*A (biology, chemistry and physics respectively), but I would recommend using the specification as well as the revision guides and doing past papers, watching YouTube videos and using online resources.
Reply 5
Most high achievers aren't the ones who stick to one specific thing (such as a CGP Textbook), they go out of their way to do different things what suit their own, personal revision techniques. For example, flashcards, past papers, that whole thing.

For some, a CGP Textbook will be enough as they already have the knowledge on topics, however I wouldn't recommend sticking to just a CGP Revision Guide, I had one myself, and although it had all the information - I had to extract that knowledge and create my own form of revision using these, along with class information.

The new marking scheme as a whole for the current Y11s and 10s are shockingly high to achieve (something like 2-5% of the exam 'population'), so although it will be hard - find something that suits you. Only you can get the Grade 9 that you're looking to achieve.

Shortened version: Find something that suits your revision techniques, alongside the CGP guides.
Sorry forgot to quote - @Ihatelife2
Well I'm sitting the exams this year but I got mostly 9s in my mocks, this is just what worked for me: (I think - bio 115/120 55/60, chem 112/120 59/60, phys 105/120 forgot p2! Edexcel IGCSE)
Your number 1 resource is past papers. They get you used to the questions and help you apply your knowledge. I would use your textbook first (or a more detailed resource) if you're talking months or weeks until the exam to make notes and make sure you understand everything. If you hardly have any time before exams then you will be okay with using CGP - they are very good and great examples of condensed notes; however, they shouldn't (imo) be your first point of call. I found some very small points are not in them but that shouldn't be a massive deal for the exams as you'll likely have all the marks you need. Usually if you just look at CGP the 1 markers or 2 markers that are kinda off topic will catch you out, but if you do past papers they will become more easy as they usually ask for pretty much the same sort of answer every time.
Videos from Youtube channels are great for sciences - they work well for me as I am an auditory learner. Some channels also go through past papers which is very useful. Also if your school has tassomai I would recommend using that, mine doesn't but I've heard it's great!
Good luck in your exams :tongue: (and I know I made CGP sound bad in this but it is an excellent resource, just don't use ONLY that)
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry forgot to quote - @Ihatelife2
Well I'm sitting the exams this year but I got mostly 9s in my mocks, this is just what worked for me: (I think - bio 115/120 55/60, chem 112/120 59/60, phys 105/120 forgot p2! Edexcel IGCSE)
Your number 1 resource is past papers. They get you used to the questions and help you apply your knowledge. I would use your textbook first (or a more detailed resource) if you're talking months or weeks until the exam to make notes and make sure you understand everything. If you hardly have any time before exams then you will be okay with using CGP - they are very good and great examples of condensed notes; however, they shouldn't (imo) be your first point of call. I found some very small points are not in them but that shouldn't be a massive deal for the exams as you'll likely have all the marks you need. Usually if you just look at CGP the 1 markers or 2 markers that are kinda off topic will catch you out, but if you do past papers they will become more easy as they usually ask for pretty much the same sort of answer every time.
Videos from Youtube channels are great for sciences - they work well for me as I am an auditory learner. Some channels also go through past papers which is very useful. Also if your school has tassomai I would recommend using that, mine doesn't but I've heard it's great!
Good luck in your exams :tongue: (and I know I made CGP sound bad in this but it is an excellent resource, just don't use ONLY that)

thank you so much. It's really difficult to find many resources for my exam board (OCR 21st century). Most resources are tailored to AQA. with the CGP Books I can get 8s but never a 9 in any of the sciences. I really want to get a 9. Do you think it's a good idea to use questions from other exam boards?
Original post by Ihatelife2
thank you so much. It's really difficult to find many resources for my exam board (OCR 21st century). Most resources are tailored to AQA. with the CGP Books I can get 8s but never a 9 in any of the sciences. I really want to get a 9. Do you think it's a good idea to use questions from other exam boards?

I see, there seems to be more than enough resources for Edexcel so I don't have the same problem. Yeah, actually I would recommend that, as long as you know what topics are on your spec and what you need/don't need to know. If you're doing AQA past papers and you're only doing the questions that pertain to your spec then you should be alright. I don't know if there are many past papers for your exam board but I would recommend using them well. I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help :s-smilie:
I see, there seems to be more than enough resources for Edexcel so I don't have the same problem. Yeah, actually I would recommend that, as long as you know what topics are on your spec and what you need/don't need to know. If you're doing AQA past papers and you're only doing the questions that pertain to your spec then you should be alright. I don't know if there are many past papers for your exam board but I would recommend using them well. I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help :s-smilie:

Thank you very much. Your advice was great.
grade 9 chayyyyse
Reply 11
No point of making notes. It's too late and I can undertsand stuff without them. Also thatsh the point of revision guides

If you don’t mind me asking, which edexcel resources do you use? I can’t seem to find nearly as much as what AQA has :frown:
Original post by aspiring-student
If you don’t mind me asking, which edexcel resources do you use? I can’t seem to find nearly as much as what AQA has :frown:

Of course the CGP book, the textbook is what I use as a first port of call (I have the green one which has like atoms and stuff with a purple background for chemistry, blue stuff for physics.. sorry really vague but they're at school - but my brother who's sitting the exam in 2020 has a better one although it's only for 9-1 but most of it is the same), sciencewithhazel is good for last minute revision and past paper guides (it's a youtube channel - she does Edexcel IGCSE and AQA, and also has really condensed notes, I believe she sends the pdf for £3 :tongue:)
I haven't looked as much but for sciences all you need to know is in guides and textbooks, if you make notes on that and learn it you will be okay. Also do past papers, I can't stress it enough :wink: saved me for my mocks
Of course the CGP book, the textbook is what I use as a first port of call (I have the green one which has like atoms and stuff with a purple background for chemistry, blue stuff for physics.. sorry really vague but they're at school - but my brother who's sitting the exam in 2020 has a better one although it's only for 9-1 but most of it is the same), sciencewithhazel is good for last minute revision and past paper guides (it's a youtube channel - she does Edexcel IGCSE and AQA, and also has really condensed notes, I believe she sends the pdf for £3 :tongue:)
I haven't looked as much but for sciences all you need to know is in guides and textbooks, if you make notes on that and learn it you will be okay. Also do past papers, I can't stress it enough :wink: saved me for my mocks

I have the 9-1 books so they may be similar to your brothers? Biology is a large bug, chemistry an protective mask, and physics a skeleton? haha thank you, really appreciate it!
Original post by Ihatelife2

I have a very similar problem! I was going to get a grade 8/9 targeted book from AQA for the sciences but i was told by the developers of the book that the exam style questions were specifically tailored for AQA's exam board style, if that makes sense? So i think, sometimes, (maybe not all the time) that the questions although might be the same topic, (which is good for remembering content)the types of questions could be preparing you for something completely different? I did however find a website that has some questions for OCR, I'm not sure if youve already come across it but https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/gcse.html
Original post by aspiring-student
I have the 9-1 books so they may be similar to your brothers? Biology is a large bug, chemistry an protective mask, and physics a skeleton? haha thank you, really appreciate it!

Yeah I think it may be that, this year I think the IGCSE syllabus is still A*-U so I still use the old spec stuff. I hope revision goes well :biggrin:
Yeah I think it may be that, this year I think the IGCSE syllabus is still A*-U so I still use the old spec stuff. I hope revision goes well :biggrin:

Thanks! you too
Reply 18

I thought there weren't any past papers for the new spec? Did u use the old spec ones?
Also, for my revision strategy,I'm using this o level book with a lot of detail for every topic as well as CGP. Is this a good call? The book is international but it has some things from the spec.
Original post by xhyper22
I thought there weren't any past papers for the new spec? Did u use the old spec ones?
Also, for my revision strategy,I'm using this o level book with a lot of detail for every topic as well as CGP. Is this a good call? The book is international but it has some things from the spec.

I'm doing the old spec :tongue: (The IGCSE for science is still A*-U, old spec until next year) but there should be specimens for new spec? I don't know, but I think they're pretty much the same so you would be okay for now with using the old ones. I've looked at my brother's book and the new spec is larger (I think) but it only adds a couple of small things, I know in biology it basically is all the same.
That sounds good :biggrin: honestly if you're comfortable with all the topics you need to know and you can answer past paper questions on them (helps a lot for biology especially) then you'll be okay. You'll get about 8 or maybe 9 from that and then past papers in the run up to the exam will get you to a sure 9 :wink: (make sure you know experimental stuff because I know in old spec experimental questions are a third - I think - of total mark if you're doing triple, but it's basically the same stuff every time, in my mocks I had to design an experiment for the last question and I didn't really get the topic but you get marks for dependent, independent, control variables, repeat, ignore anomalies and stuff like that)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending