The Student Room Group

Grade 9 Question?

What are your thoughts on this @Notnek

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

do u need help?
Original post by BTAnonymous
do u need help?

Not with answering it because I made the question, was just looking to get advice on how hard people would grade it and how I can improve the question-perhaps to make it more difficult?
Wow I think this is way past GCSE (reasoning) :tongue:

Edit: I'll actually have to give it a try first, maybe tomorrow!
Original post by Y11_Maths
Not with answering it because I made the question, was just looking to get advice on how hard people would grade it and how I can improve the question-perhaps to make it more difficult?

Good question!

if i was at gcse now id probably rate it an 8 (A grade I think?)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mundosinfin
Wow I think this is way past GCSE (reasoning) :tongue:

Edit: I'll actually have to give it a try first, maybe tomorrow!

Thank you
Good question!

if i was at gcse now id probably rate it an 8 (A grade I think?)

Thank you for your feedback. Any suggestions how I could make it even harder?
Thank you for your feedback. Any suggestions how I could make it even harder?

actually thinking about it now it's probably a grade 9 although I haven't seen any grade 9 questions before.

To make it harder, maybe ask them to express c in terms of x? so you'll have to give one of the co-ordinates in x possibly? just a quick thought as algebra usually throws people off in geometry questions.
actually thinking about it now it's probably a grade 9 although I haven't seen any grade 9 questions before.

To make it harder, maybe ask them to express c in terms of x? so you'll have to give one of the co-ordinates in x possibly? just a quick thought as algebra usually throws people off in geometry questions.

Noted, thanks for the advice 🙂
Reply 9
What are your thoughts on this @Notnek

I'll take a look now and let you know.
Original post by Notnek
I'll take a look now and let you know.

Thanks
Reply 11
Thanks

Did you get

Spoiler

I cheated a bit again so I want to make sure it's right before I give feedback :smile:
my minimum expected grade is a grade 9 and i dont even know what a trapezoid is
Original post by Notnek
Did you get

Spoiler

I cheated a bit again so I want to make sure it's right before I give feedback :smile:

Yes that is correct
Original post by xnotapplicablex
my minimum expected grade is a grade 9 and i dont even know what a trapezoid is

😂😂
Reply 15
Yes that is correct

:congrats:

I have to applaud you because that was a brilliant question and for a year 11 student to come up with that, wow is all I can say. Have you thought about a career as a textbook writer when you get older :biggrin:

It's definitely grade 9 and I don't think it should be made more challenging - I think it would be done very badly in a real exam, even by grade 9 students. I'd be interested to see your solution since I didn't spend long on it so I may have missed an easier method. My method was long for GCSE (but made faster by using Wolfram Alpha :smile:).

My only "criticism" is that you used trapezoid instead of the British word "trapezium" but that's so minor.

I think these questions would be better in a single thread, especially since it's not clear what your threads are about (e.g. do you want help?) for someone who hasn't already seen your questions. Plus people over the next few months may want to try all of your questions. That could possibly mean starting a new thread like this one where anyone is welcome to post questions. But that got really popular in May last year so it could be a bit early but who knows? Would you be interested in starting a thread like this?

If you are interested probably best not to start the thread yet. I'm tagging @Lemur14 from the Support Team who may have thoughts about this and maybe this is a discussion for somewhere else and we can back to you.
Reply 16
Woah Man you are amazing for a y11 to be creating questions like this!
They normally with throw in a hard question like this as the last question of a GCSE exam, so all the people predicted grade 9 have something to work on for the remaining half an hour lol :P
Original post by Notnek
:congrats:

I have to applaud you because that was a brilliant question and for a year 11 student to come up with that, wow is all I can say. Have you thought about a career as a textbook writer when you get older :biggrin:

It's definitely grade 9 and I don't think it should be made more challenging - I think it would be done very badly in a real exam, even by grade 9 students. I'd be interested to see your solution since I didn't spend long on it so I may have missed an easier method. My method was long for GCSE (but made faster by using Wolfram Alpha :smile:).

My only "criticism" is that you used trapezoid instead of the British word "trapezium" but that's so minor.

I think these questions would be better in a single thread, especially since it's not clear what your threads are about (e.g. do you want help?) for someone who hasn't already seen your questions. Plus people over the next few months may want to try all of your questions. That could possibly mean starting a new thread like this one where anyone is welcome to post questions. But that got really popular in May last year so it could be a bit early but who knows? Would you be interested in starting a thread like this?

If you are interested probably best not to start the thread yet. I'm tagging @Lemur14 from the Support Team who may have thoughts about this and maybe this is a discussion for somewhere else and we can back to you.

Wow thank you so much my friend! I have thought about writing my own GCSE Maths revision guide after I finish my exams and (as you may be aware) am in the process of creating my own ‘Grade 9 Maths Paper’.

Trapezoid just sounded cooler all I will say 😂

And of course I would be absolutely thrilled at the idea, count me in!
Original post by Viren123
They normally with throw in a hard question like this as the last question of a GCSE exam, so all the people predicted grade 9 have something to work on for the remaining half an hour lol :P

Haha true

Quick Reply

Latest