The Student Room Group

Adult dependent grant

I submitted my finance application yesterday for 18/19. First time, mature student. I didn’t tick to apply for ADG as I assumed the term dependent when referring to an adult meant someone that I cared for or doesn’t have their own income. However after reading an example on here I’m now unsure. My husband is on an average income (18k) he works full time, we have two children and a mortgage. Should I apply for this or is it more for people with health needs/very low income?
Original post by charlemhen
I submitted my finance application yesterday for 18/19. First time, mature student. I didn’t tick to apply for ADG as I assumed the term dependent when referring to an adult meant someone that I cared for or doesn’t have their own income. However after reading an example on here I’m now unsure. My husband is on an average income (18k) he works full time, we have two children and a mortgage. Should I apply for this or is it more for people with health needs/very low income?

Hi Charlemhen,

The adult dependents grant is aimed at students with an adult who is financially dependent on them. The main criteria that is reviewed is the adult dependents income and if they rely on the student financially. If your partners income is over £3796, that would mean you wouldn't be eligible for the adult dependents grant for them.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
John, the student finance form for Adult Dependents states that "You will not be able to apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant if your other adult dependant’s income is more than £3,796 in the academic year 2019/20.", however, the definition of "other adult" is listed as someone who is not your husband/wife/civil partner/your partner (if you are 25 or over). That seems to suggest that if your adult dependent is your husband/wife etc then they can be earning over £3796 and you still be in receipt of the ADG?

I can't find a definition for "relying on the student financially" - is there a threshold amount of income for this please? I had also assumed that ADG was based on health care needs...

Thanks
Original post by sultana sultana
John, the student finance form for Adult Dependents states that "You will not be able to apply for Adult Dependants’ Grant if your other adult dependant’s income is more than £3,796 in the academic year 2019/20.", however, the definition of "other adult" is listed as someone who is not your husband/wife/civil partner/your partner (if you are 25 or over). That seems to suggest that if your adult dependent is your husband/wife etc then they can be earning over £3796 and you still be in receipt of the ADG?

I can't find a definition for "relying on the student financially" - is there a threshold amount of income for this please? I had also assumed that ADG was based on health care needs...

Thanks

Hi there,

Would this be for the upcoming 2019/20 academic year?

Thanks, Erin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending