The Student Room Group

Lack of migrant workers left food rotting in UK fields last year, data reveals

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 72nalyomluap

While I don’t know the specifics, people always seem more than willing to pay a premium for good locally sourced food over imported cheap stuff in my experience.

Nah, they say they're willing to pay a premium but that rarely lasts as far as the till.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Exclusive: Brexit fears and falling pound left fruit and vegetable farms short of more than 4,000 workers, with senior MPs warning of a ‘crisis’

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/09/lack-of-migrant-workers-left-food-rotting-in-uk-fields-last-year-data-reveals

:lol:

Come on Leave voters. This is what you have been waiting for. Time to get up and take these jobs. British jobs for british people.

Where are all the fat middle aged gammons volenteering to do these jobs?

I shant be doing these jobs as I don;t want to be getting up at 4am to pic fruit for some farmer. But then again, I didn't vote Leave and I am not against immigration. I don't see why it is up to me to fill the gap made by blokes who think they fought in the war :beard:

I propose a third solution. Lets automate these processes. Come on farmers. It seems you can no longer rely on exploiting eastern europeans to make your profit. Lets see some of this capitalist inovation I hear so much about.

and you had the CHEEK to LIE that you werent a remain voter.

Now, it's not up to any citizen what job they get. It's up to the employers who gets the job. If the employers would rather pay a migrant 3 euros worth of wages here, then they will, and won't employ citizens in dire need of work.

Figure this mate:

people hate benefits scroungers. They blame the country's problems on people on benefits (not knowing there's a diversity of benefits, they're not all JSA and child/working tax credits). HowEVER. JSA and working tax credits requires employment, or proof of looking for employment. Or you pay a hefty fine WHILST being unemployed AND dropped from benefits. And the country is overrun with JSA claimants. Therefore, to get and keep JSA, you need to routinely show you've applied for work! And there's a weak correlation between Leavers and people on benefits.

So you can't blame unemployment on citizens. Blame it on the employers, many of whom are actually remainers because both their narratives are "we love migrants."
Original post by CurlyBen
Except that the margins in agriculture are squeezed so much by the supermarkets that they can't. Even if the supermarkets increased what they paid that cost would be passed on to the consumer, who'd then buy the product produced more cheaply overseas. Generally, people are more than happy with the idea of workers being paid more but baulk at the idea of actually paying more themselves.

Which is why if workers would organise they would be forced to pay more.

Personally I'd just automate it as much as possibe.
The opposite is happening. The weak bargaining power of labour is allowing capitalists to get away without having to innova the means of production. Instead of making more productive machines they are just fidning novel ways of paying poeple less.

This isn't exactly capitalism doing what it cheer leaders say it does.

Yeah, it’s definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. And as this points out, it is, the produce goes unpicked-stocks become lower- prices go up-farmers are willing to pay more to get people to pick it.

While it doesn’t fully address the exploitative practices used by some to shaft their workers, it is part of the solution to bring up wages to a competitive level, while issuing a challenge to UK agricultural ingenuity.

Being literal, the UK population is more than capable of being self sustaining with regards to food and water. Loaves of bread are never going up to £10 and workhouses are not on their way back to inner cities, local food is affordable now and will remain affordable without migrant workers for our farmers to exploit.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
and you had the CHEEK to LIE that you werent a remain voter.

Now, it's not up to any citizen what job they get. It's up to the employers who gets the job. If the employers would rather pay a migrant 3 euros worth of wages here, then they will, and won't employ citizens in dire need of work.

When have I ever said I wansn't a remain voter?

They wont pay that much if they go to jail.
When have I ever said I wansn't a remain voter?

They wont pay that much if they go to jail.

now you're denying you lied lmao priceless. there's no need to be cowardly on here and deny what you said, it's not like I'll fight you all the way over here...

The thread was about right wingers being more attractive. I'll easily find the quote where I assumed rightfully so that you were a remainer. You insisted you weren't one. For no reason, whether you were being sarcastic or actually lying or not. Just ridiculous.

Anyway. Ok? They're not going to go to jail with lily livered and hypocritical enablers and cosigners like most remainers keep effortlessly proving themselves to be.
Original post by Rinsed
Remain voters always seek to frame this issue as if wage rates are irrelevant.

There was a piece on the beeb a while ago where they were sympathetically interviewing farmers whose businesses were suffering because lower immigration meant they were having to pay more for agricultural work. This was presented uniformly negatively. The notion raising wages might be the whole bloody point of Brexit for a lot of people was not considered.

Wages didn't go up though. The foriegn workers just stopped coming and for whatever reason native brits were not able to fill the gap. This doesn't really matter when it just means you have less fresh ready made fruit bundles in the supermarket. It's a bit more vital though when it's nurses and doctors you are driving away.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bang Outta Order
now you're denying you lied lmao priceless. there's no need to be cowardly on here and deny what you said, it's not like I'll fight you all the way over here...

The thread was about right wingers being more attractive. I'll easily find the quote where I assumed rightfully so that you were a remainer. You insisted you weren't one. For no reason, whether you were being sarcastic or actually lying or not. Just ridiculous.

Anyway. Ok? They're not going to go to jail with lily livered and hypocritical enablers and cosigners like most remainers keep effortlessly proving themselves to be.

I may have said (although I can't remember unless you show me) I'm not a Remainer with a capital R. I voted remain as the least bad option and I have left wing anti EU sympathies. I'm certainly not one of these liberal Remainers who think things were fine before we left the EU and have now all of a sudden found some political conviction beyond tediouse technocratic third way electioneering in devoting all their energy to making sure we don't leave the EU.

I've never said I voted leave though.
(edited 6 years ago)
I may have said (although I can't remember unless you show me) I'm not a Remainer with a capital R. I voted remain as the least bad option and I have left wing anti EU sympathies. I'm certainly not one of these liberal Remainers who think things were fine before we left the EU and have now all of a sudden found some political conviction beyond tediouse technocratic third way electioneering in devoting all their energy to making sure we don't leave the EU.

I've never said I voted leave though.

k.
Reply 49
Exclusive: Brexit fears and falling pound left fruit and vegetable farms short of more than 4,000 workers, with senior MPs warning of a ‘crisis’

:lol:

Come on Leave voters. This is what you have been waiting for. Time to get up and take these jobs. British jobs for british people.

Where are all the fat middle aged gammons volenteering to do these jobs?

I shant be doing these jobs as I don;t want to be getting up at 4am to pic fruit for some farmer. But then again, I didn't vote Leave and I am not against immigration. I don't see why it is up to me to fill the gap made by blokes who think they fought in the war :beard:

I propose a third solution. Lets automate these processes. Come on farmers. It seems you can no longer rely on exploiting eastern europeans to make your profit. Lets see some of this capitalist inovation I hear so much about.

A 'working holiday' program would work well for fruit picking, which is what New Zealand is using. This means that foreigners would be able to come to the UK temporarily i.e. for a few months, and work while they're here to bring some money back home when they leave. This works well as fruit picking is needed seasonally.

Of course, you wouldn't this this idea though, seeing as you want the white population to be replaced.
Reply 50
Original post by Jojoao
A 'working holiday' program would work well for fruit picking, which is what New Zealand is using. This means that foreigners would be able to come to the UK temporarily i.e. for a few months, and work while they're here to bring some money back home when they leave. This works well as fruit picking is needed seasonally.

Britain has one of those.

Of course, you wouldn't this this idea though, seeing as you want the white population to be replaced.

Troll.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending