The Student Room Group

Disabled Students Allowances by SLC

Got a question about what extra help you can get if you’ve got a disability? Our experts are here to help.

Antony has worked in DSA (Disabled Student's Allowance) for over 2 years. Antony is experienced on all parts of the DSA journey, from eligibility (applying for DSA) to entitlement (the support that has been agreed). He also works on our customer facing contact line, advising student's and parent's on the DSA process as well as resolving issues where action is required.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Wednesday 14 February.
My son has an EHCP and also receiving PIP payments and also requires a taxi to take him to college at the moment can he get help with student finance as he is in the ASD - he has Asperger Syndrome
Reply 2
Hi guys!

I am looking to study from 2018, I am currently on pip (higher rate) & contributory ESA (support group) From reading it states that you only need to tell dwp of any changes to your circumstances like if ur condition has changed or you start working, but no mention of if you start to go to uni. I don’t now if I need to advise them or not & am also worried that I am reassessed as there is no way I would be able to work and go to university as I am not entirely sure o am going to be able to physically cope with university (but would like to explore my options) Any help people can give would be great as most people that have posted on here are getting income based esa not CONTRBUITORY ESA which there is different rule for and from what I’ve read I don’t need to tell dwp about university for either pip or esa but don’t want to do the wrong thing. Also I have my husband and would like to know if his wage gets taken into consideration. Thanks again for any help, S xx
Hiya,

So I’m currently studying at the University of Leicester (BSc. Computer Science) and I was originally struggling with the the rent for my accommodation. As a consequence, I decided to make an online claim for Housing Benefit as I’m currently classified as ‘disabled’ and I’m received the higher end of Personal Independent Payment (because I have Aspergers’). A week later, I received a letter in relation to my the outcome of my claim. Fortunately, I was informed that I’m entitled to the maximum eligible rent (i.e. covers my entire rent).

On the letter that I received, it mentioned ‘applicable amount’ - the fixed finances the Government claims I need to live on. This is £168.80 p/w, in addition to my PIP of £105.10 p/w. This is my question: do I have to make a separate application for these entitlements or is it automatically added onto my Housing Benefit? I tried researching but didn’t get very far at all!

I would call the Leicester City Council but due to the nature of my ‘disability’ I’m terrible with speaking on the phone to someone who I don’t know. Significantly better at writing, hence why I’m on here instead.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by Traceyannstephan
My son has an EHCP and also receiving PIP payments and also requires a taxi to take him to college at the moment can he get help with student finance as he is in the ASD - he has Asperger Syndrome

Hi Tracey, thank you for your question. Yes, we can consider taxi travel as part of a student’s DSA entitlement. The contribution we would provide is the cost of the taxi journey minus the cost of public transport for the same journey. Be sure that your son discusses his travel needs when attending the study needs assessment so that they can make a suitable recommendation to us.

You mention that your son is in receipt of PIP payments. If your son is in receipt of the higher rate, and receives the mobility component which is used to rent a motability vehicle, we can only accept taxi travel recommendations on an exceptional case by case basis.

If this applies, we may be able to take in to account circumstances which prevent the use of the vehicle which would need to be explained in the needs assessors’ recommendation. Alternatively, we can consider mileage costs which currently we pay at a rate of £0.24 per mile.

If your son does not rent a motability vehicle as part of his PIP, then this does not apply, and we would just need a recommendation from your sons’ needs assessor for taxi travel.
�о;�˸
Original post by MrsMatt
Hi guys!

I am looking to study from 2018, I am currently on pip (higher rate) & contributory ESA (support group) From reading it states that you only need to tell dwp of any changes to your circumstances like if ur condition has changed or you start working, but no mention of if you start to go to uni. I don’t now if I need to advise them or not & am also worried that I am reassessed as there is no way I would be able to work and go to university as I am not entirely sure o am going to be able to physically cope with university (but would like to explore my options) Any help people can give would be great as most people that have posted on here are getting income based esa not CONTRBUITORY ESA which there is different rule for and from what I’ve read I don’t need to tell dwp about university for either pip or esa but don’t want to do the wrong thing. Also I have my husband and would like to know if his wage gets taken into consideration. Thanks again for any help, S xx

Hi Mrs Matt, thank you for this. If I am honest, I am not sure on how studying will affect any support you receive from ESA. It may be worth visiting the Employment Support Allowance website on https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance for further information.

With regard to Disabled student’s allowance, this is not means tested, which means that we wouldn’t take in to account your husband’s income to assess and establish your entitlement to DSA.

If you apply for a maintenance loan, this can take in to account your household income. To find out further information regarding this please visit https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/full-time
Original post by ArranJones1997
Hiya,

So I’m currently studying at the University of Leicester (BSc. Computer Science) and I was originally struggling with the the rent for my accommodation. As a consequence, I decided to make an online claim for Housing Benefit as I’m currently classified as ‘disabled’ and I’m received the higher end of Personal Independent Payment (because I have Aspergers’). A week later, I received a letter in relation to my the outcome of my claim. Fortunately, I was informed that I’m entitled to the maximum eligible rent (i.e. covers my entire rent).

On the letter that I received, it mentioned ‘applicable amount’ - the fixed finances the Government claims I need to live on. This is £168.80 p/w, in addition to my PIP of £105.10 p/w. This is my question: do I have to make a separate application for these entitlements or is it automatically added onto my Housing Benefit? I tried researching but didn’t get very far at all!

I would call the Leicester City Council but due to the nature of my ‘disability’ I’m terrible with speaking on the phone to someone who I don’t know. Significantly better at writing, hence why I’m on here instead.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Hello Arran, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, this isn’t something that is assessed as part of Disabled Student’s Allowance, therefore I wouldn’t be able to advise you on whether you need to make a separate application or whether these entitlements are added to your housing benefit.

I have been able to find some contact information for Leicester city council, including an email address on the following website which may be of some use to you:

https://www.leicester.gov.uk/contact-us/phone-and-email-us/

You can also find out further information regarding housing benefit at the following website:

https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit
(edited 6 years ago)
Following this discussion, if you would like to find out further information regarding Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) please follow the below links:

If you are studying at Postgraduate level:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/disabled-students-allowances

If you are an Undergraduate student:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/what-are-disabled-students-allowances

If you find that you are unable to find the information you are looking for, you are welcome to call us on 0300 100 0607 or email us at [email protected] where we will be happy to answer any queries you may have.
That's the end of the webchat thanks very much to Anthony!

Latest

Trending

Trending