The Student Room Group

International Summer Schools & Legal Careers

I am looking at enrolling onto a Summer school in Asia and wondered what the best courses might be in relation to aiding my legal CV. For instance, would subjects such as International Relations of East Asia and Comparative law be beneficial from an international law firm perspective?

My reasoning for partaking in such a scheme would partially be to travel and enjoy such a culturally diverse experience but I of course would like to make my trip helpful in an academic/career sense also.

Korea University, National University of Singapore, Fudan University (Shanghai), Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Tsinghua University (Beijing), Malaysia and China University of Nottingham campuses are the options (the first two being my desired choices thus far).

Thanks in advance.
Gaining an 'international outlook' and perhaps strengthening language skills would be the most tangible benefits of such a venture. My personal opinion is that studying a language while there would be the most useful practical pursuit, particularly if you are interested in firms with offices in Asia too.
Reply 2
Original post by Insecable
Gaining an 'international outlook' and perhaps strengthening language skills would be the most tangible benefits of such a venture. My personal opinion is that studying a language while there would be the most useful practical pursuit, particularly if you are interested in firms with offices in Asia too.

Obviously the more proficient the better but what standard would be seen as advantageous still since learning languages hasn't always been my forte. That and the programmes are 5-8 weeks with a condensed course in that time and making the most of bring abroad.
I hope to spend a year abroad in Hong Kong where ideally I could pick up a conversational level.
Original post by Chichaldo
Obviously the more proficient the better but what standard would be seen as advantageous still since learning languages hasn't always been my forte. That and the programmes are 5-8 weeks with a condensed course in that time and making the most of bring abroad.
I hope to spend a year abroad in Hong Kong where ideally I could pick up a conversational level.

Business fluency would probably be ideal. Don't force yourself if it's not your forte though. There are many other benefits to spending time overseas such as broadening your outlook and perspective.
What do you mean by this exactly? And are you distinguishing mediation from arbitration?
That's an interesting perspective. I am only familiar with international arbitration, for which litigators and arbitrators are most assuredly experts in the applicable law. The substantive law found in arbitral awards is usually more legal than court decisions. That is because the arbitrator is not tasked with simplifying the law for future users; the broad ugliness of the law is usually considered.

I wasn't sure if you were conflating mediation with arbitration, because it is arbitration which is regulated by international law rather than mediation.
Reply 6
Original post by Insecable
Business fluency would probably be ideal. Don't force yourself if it's not your forte though. There are many other benefits to spending time overseas such as broadening your outlook and perspective.

Thank you, after all it's not the main reason for my trip. Just thought it'd be best to learn something more worthwhile whilst there
Reply 7
Okay, okay, chill haha. I'm not going there to build my CV, I want to travel to such places. Can't do any harm though and is a talking point as well as an experience.
You make it sound like internships in London are easily attainable? It's hard just getting into an insight day
Reply 8
I see where you are coming from, NUS would technically be an upgrade being ranked 15th in the world but I take everything you said on board. I have a friend in Singapore who said I can stay with saving £700 and the tuition fees are waived by my university so I just think it is a fantastic opportunity, personally, even if perhaps not as advantageous law wise as I originally thought.

Thank you for the ideas, I have been applying for insight days and any vacation schemes that are available for first years in the Spring & Summer. I will get into contact with the revelant personnel about such legal charities. I will look at both Nottingham and back in Norwich for the Summer. I did think about CAB but I thought 6hrs+travel might be a stretch, however, I will reconsider as I was keen on the opportunity. I interned at a local firm (I say interned, it was more admin work as it was pre-uni), I will see if I can shadow there and do you know how best to contact courts about shadowing judges?

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending