The Student Room Group

He used the n word

Scroll to see replies

(7)
You can be racist towards black people even if you’re dating them. I swear to god if anyone tells you to forget it or whatever, they can seriously **** off. You shouldve enjoyed it with a black person. The white people in this thread seriously saying its in a friendly way lmao
(edited 6 years ago)
you came to the wrong place to discuss this issue. He definitely shouldn’t be using the word and I don’t know why non-black people are so pressed about saying this word. Why the heck do you need to say that word in any context when there’s a whole dictionary of words to chose from?!?
non black people can say it if they are from the motherland because they know the struggle
Original post by PurpleHills
you came to the wrong place to discuss this issue. He definitely shouldn’t be using the word and I don’t know why non-black people are so pressed about saying this word. Why the heck do you need to say that word in any context when there’s a whole dictionary of words to chose from?!?

THANK you!!!!

(4)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone

I just don’t know how to feel. I’m black and he’s white. We went to watch the black panther movie since it came out today.
He told me he watched the trailer and thought it was like an avatar n**** movie.

I was absolutely speechless and just laughed it off but now I can’t stop thinking about it.
What should I do

Even if he is not racist the fact he would use that word so flippantly, never mind in front of a black person, shows he in a moron and not worth your time
But it wasn’t funny and he didn’t realise it was wrong until I told him.

Yo I am black, (proof my name is Nicholas Kamau Mbugua a traditional Kenyan name). Anyway I go to a predominantly white school and people use the n word all the time to even refer to me. At first i got pissed but then i realised that its just a stupid word. Why should i care that much? To be honest, I call them cr*cka in return and other racist **** so its pretty fair now.

Don't take it to heart. He will learn and mature but enjoy the movie. I am watching it today as well with my white friend who calls me the n word sometimes and a slave. He is a ***** when it comes to race but he is nice most of the times. And tbh i dont give a damn about that stupid word anymore.
Let it slide for now. Make him aware of how it made you feel. If it continues in the future then you should probably end it with him.
Original post by nio.m
Yo I am black, (proof my name is Nicholas Kamau Mbugua a traditional Kenyan name). Anyway I go to a predominantly white school and people use the n word all the time to even refer to me. At first i got pissed but then i realised that its just a stupid word. Why should i care that much? To be honest, I call them cr*cka in return and other racist **** so its pretty fair now.

Don't take it to heart. He will learn and mature but enjoy the movie. I am watching it today as well with my white friend who calls me the n word sometimes and a slave. He is a ***** when it comes to race but he is nice most of the times. And tbh i dont give a damn about that stupid word anymore.

Have some respect for yourself.. the word was created to be derogatory, so if it made you initially uncomfortable you should've confronted them. There's a difference between black people taking ownership of the word and some white person using it carte blanche
Original post by rcoope05
Have some respect for yourself.. the word was created to be derogatory, so if it made you initially uncomfortable you should've confronted them. There's a difference between black people taking ownership of the word and some white person using it carte blanche

So when black people use it, it is great as it a sign of power etc but when white people use it the whole definition changes. Wow, great way of thinking. It's a word. WHY SHOULD ONE WORD CAUSE SO MANY FLIPPING PROBLEMS IN THIS WORLD???
Original post by nio.m
So when black people use it, it is great as it a sign of power etc but when white people use it the whole definition changes. Wow, great way of thinking. It's a word. WHY SHOULD ONE WORD CAUSE SO MANY FLIPPING PROBLEMS IN THIS WORLD???

“Well, black people can use it, but whites can’t?' this debate is tired and boring. I'm not for telling people what to say or how to think, but we should critique why we use words. I don't think it's overly offensive for white people to use the N word in this sort of context, it's just embarrassing and shows a lack of social awareness. The guy clearly didn't consider if the girl would find it offensive or not..
Original post by Appazap
Because it has been used in the past and is still used to degrade and dehumanize black people.

Then the question should be, why do black people degrade and dehumanize each other? Constantly.
Reply 51
Yes but these days if you say it with an A at the end its regarded as banter / form of greeting people, I personally don't agree with him saying but i doubt he intended it with any malice.

@yankeedog1953
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yankeedog1953
Then the question should be, why do black people degrade and dehumanize each other? Constantly.

Black people have reclaimed the word as a way to uplift themselves. Personally I don't really use it in my vocabulary but I wouldn't discourage another black person for using the word if it makes them feel happy. I think out of respect white people/other races should just not use it as we are not at a point in society where racism is not a thing. When white people use the word there is so much history behind it and by using the word you clearly have no respect for black people.

Wether black people themselves should/should not use the word is a conversation for black people to have in our community. As a white person it's not really any of your business as to how we use a word that has been used and is still used to dehumanize us. As a white person, I think you should simply refrain from saying it and that's it
Original post by INFIGAAR
Accept it, using the n word is fine when used in the context of banter.

Are you f*cking dumb? you're obviously some white a**hole
Hi everyone

I just don’t know how to feel. I’m black and he’s white. We went to watch the black panther movie since it came out today.
He told me he watched the trailer and thought it was like an avatar n**** movie.

I was absolutely speechless and just laughed it off but now I can’t stop thinking about it.
What should I do

Using the n word is unacceptable as it's a racial slur. Let him know how it made you feel and then hopefully, he won't use it again. If he uses it again after you've explained how you felt to him, then I think it's a problem
Hi everyone

What should I do

Sis! I'm black aswell who has been to all white schools my whole life. From my experience, sometimes you just have to accept it if it's a friend that you know doesn't have any bad intentions. However, you should tellthat guy how offensive what he said was, and how it affected you, so that he knows and stops. Personally, for me if they kept saying it they weren't my friends. For example, when i joined this new school everyone was 'jokingly' racist to me. I had to laugh it off because i was the only black guy and alone. However, i'm strong and independent. So, when one day this guy called me a cotton picker with intention of hurting me (bearing in mind i had only been at the school for 2 months) I went up to him and beat the living day lights out of him untill he was crying, which everyone saw because my whole year were watching. This guy was previously the 'hardest' ro whatever they call it in the year, so when i battered him not only did he never say anything, but no one else did and even started bumming up to me a bit. Do i regret what i did? No, because me and that guy are now good friends. Just know that sometimes words don't always work. Besides i'm a 6'1 'gym lad' aha so i had no problem, neither was i hesitant to beat him to a pulp. However, maybe your not that big and can't stick up for your self physically, just talk to them and if they don't listen then dissassociate yourself with them. I'm 15 year old by the way. Hope this helped!
(edited 6 years ago)
Why can black people only say that word and white/asian people cant? isn’t that racist that white/asian people cant say it ?

Coming from an asian background... don’t want to cause any offence just wondering

Nigg**
The word was originated for you to keep us under
When we use it we know thats how we greet each other
But when you use it we know there's a double meaning under
All because we weren't picking cotton physically
doesn't mean we aint affected by the history (mentally)
My grandma was a slave and that **** get's to me
So please have some mf sympathy
Original post by Bang Outta Order
lol what do you mean what am I talking about, can you read? Oh **** sake with that microaggression bull ****. How is not wanting to sit next to you on the tube as bad as forcibly removing you from Africa or police killing you? :lol: crazy...crying about microaggression is just as bad as crying if someone doesn't wanna play with you on the swings.

Sorry. She just got me so angry.

It's okay it's not your fault you're autistic. You were born like that. However, it is very wrong to not one to sit next to someone on a bus because they are black and no other sensible reason but the colour of their skin. If that makes any sense to you x
Original post by yankeedog1953

It's called embracing the insult/word.
A black person casually using the N word is a mockery of the people who created it.
Original post by rcoope05
“Well, black people can use it, but whites can’t?' this debate is tired and boring. I'm not for telling people what to say or how to think, but we should critique why we use words. I don't think it's overly offensive for white people to use the N word in this sort of context, it's just embarrassing and shows a lack of social awareness. The guy clearly didn't consider if the girl would find it offensive or not..

Read my post, i alread replied to someone on why you should have respect and not use it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending