The Student Room Group

University of Portsmouth vs University of Hertfordshire

I’m torn between these two Uni’s and I have unconditional offers from both. How can I decide which one to go to?? I’m studying English language
Original post by sbrc2148
I’m torn between these two Uni’s and I have unconditional offers from both. How can I decide which one to go to?? I’m studying English language

Which course interests you more? What about options and flexibility?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Which course interests you more? What about options and flexibility?

It’s really hard because neither course is perfect, they both have different modules that I like but equally both have a few that I’d rather not do. If that makes sense. Portsmouth is further away so therefore further to travel home etc but I feel like Portsmouth is a better uni overall, being like 37th in league tables where as Hertfordshire is like 100th or something
It’s really hard because neither course is perfect, they both have different modules that I like but equally both have a few that I’d rather not do. If that makes sense. Portsmouth is further away so therefore further to travel home etc but I feel like Portsmouth is a better uni overall, being like 37th in league tables where as Hertfordshire is like 100th or something

League tables mean little as a uni's position will vary depending on the table and year on year. Is travel time to home important to you? What about things like where grads end up and facilities?
Reply 4
League tables mean little as a uni's position will vary depending on the table and year on year. Is travel time to home important to you? What about things like where grads end up and facilities?

Okay so league tables aren’t that important?
Travel time is quite important to me but both are within 2/3 hours so neither are too bad I suppose.
Both unis offer placements/study abroad and have alright facilities. The accommodation at Hertfordshire looks newer and cleaner, and Hertfordshire is a campus where as Portsmouth is a city. I feel like I’d be more comfortable in a campus but there’s no as much to do there, so getting a part time job/going out etc may not be as easy.
Okay so league tables aren’t that important?
Travel time is quite important to me but both are within 2/3 hours so neither are too bad I suppose.
Both unis offer placements/study abroad and have alright facilities. The accommodation at Hertfordshire looks newer and cleaner, and Hertfordshire is a campus where as Portsmouth is a city. I feel like I’d be more comfortable in a campus but there’s no as much to do there, so getting a part time job/going out etc may not be as easy.

It's good that you're thinking about all these things so now just weigh them up. Is it more important to be on a campus and potentially have limited work opportunities (not necessarily true as you can work on campus) or would you rather be in a bit city? Would you rather have newer better accommodation? It sounds like you're leaning towards Hertfordshire so I would go with that.
Reply 6
It's good that you're thinking about all these things so now just weigh them up. Is it more important to be on a campus and potentially have limited work opportunities (not necessarily true as you can work on campus) or would you rather be in a bit city? Would you rather have newer better accommodation? It sounds like you're leaning towards Hertfordshire so I would go with that.

Yeah true, okay thank you for all of this! It’s just so hard. I have one more question - in your 3rd year at Portsmouth you have to do a dissertation but at Hertfordshire I don’t think you do - which seemed strange to me as I assumed a dissertation was a major part of a degree??
Yeah true, okay thank you for all of this! It’s just so hard. I have one more question - in your 3rd year at Portsmouth you have to do a dissertation but at Hertfordshire I don’t think you do - which seemed strange to me as I assumed a dissertation was a major part of a degree??

Not sure where you got that info from as it says here that you do a final year project. It's very very rare that you don't.
Go Portsmouth. it's a great little city. There is all sorts of accomodation available. Also don't forget that after your first year you will be living in a house(most likely). It has great facilities. Also don't knock the league tables too much as there are some useful data there. Teachers per pupil, spend per pupil, satisfaction and career prospects to name a few.

I went to Portsmouth and loved it there.

Hi @sbrc2148,

Sorry I just saw this thread! Congratulations on your unconditional offers, that's fantastic.

I studied English Literature at Herts, so if you'd like to more about how the course is structured (it'll be the same as English Language) or anything else about the course, just let me know.

The course at Herts is really flexible and in your first year you study other subjects alongside English Language to broaden your knowledge of Humanities. There's also a chance to study abroad for a year or semester.

Let me know!

Thanks,
Heather

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending