The Student Room Group

Battery beyond useless. Which iPhone model has good battery life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craghyrax
Oh one last thing... you can't do a hackbook non-iPhone right? I'd switch to Android, but only if I didn't have to leave iOS. :sigh:

What exactly is it you want from iOS? The interface, specific apps etc?
Just putting it out there about the battery scandal. As a response Apple significantly cut the price of getting a replacement battery fitted. All batteries degrade over time.
The popular vote sucks. I have an iPad. It's great (was a gift... I wouldn't justify an extra gadget otherwise). But it means that I prefer my phone to fit safely into a back pocket without being crushed or struggling. And I don't like having to use two hands to navigate. But c'est la vie. Tempted to get the SE just to dig my heels in. Ah well. And yeh 3am here. Ought to sleep :o:

:redface: How do you get it in back pocket and not break it when sitting down?! :redface:
Oh one last thing... you can't do a hackbook non-iPhone right? I'd switch to Android, but only if I didn't have to leave iOS. :sigh:

Not an option I'm afraid. But you can install files to make Android OS to look like iOS.
Reply 24
Its really just being really busy and knowing that it will cause stress to have to learn a different OS. Having to google how to do every little thing that you can normally do without a second thought is very draining and offputting when you've already got too much on your plate.
I work in front of a laptop all day, never getting away from a screen. So finding time in the evenings to just do simple things like research what hike I want to pick at the weekend or check the weather tend not to happen because I need to wind down and get off the screen. So the transition would really be a pain in the arse.

I don't care all that much about phone specs. Ok camera, good battery and plenty of data. That's it. I probably need to worry about it being able to travel between Europe and North America. I heard that some phones don't have headphone jacks? :tomato: Other than that I really don't care about phones. Its just the market that keeps on adding bells and whistles that nobody wants, and there's no way to opt out without missing the things you do actually need.

I tend to be a lot more interested in the specs when it's my laptop, and iPad (I do digital art on it). Just got a 16GB Macbook Pro :coma:
Original post by mobbsy91
:redface: How do you get it in back pocket and not break it when sitting down?! :redface:

Who actually puts their phone in their back pocket? :/
Reply 26
Thanks @RoyalSheepy sadly it's everything working the same way... settings being in the same place... same options etc. Its not about the looks. Ah well :dontknow:
First world problems

Original post by RoyalSheepy
Who actually puts their phone in their back pocket? :/

Not me, solidly and firmly in front pocket!
Reply 28
Original post by mobbsy91

iPhone5S and I assume SE are the old small compact brick type that I like. They're thick and sturdy enough to sit on.
The newer models look too flimsy for that.
iPhone5S and I assume SE are the old small compact brick type that I like. They're thick and sturdy enough to sit on.
The newer models look too flimsy for that.

Ahh fair enough! Yeh, wouldn't dream of sitting with mine in the pocket as it definitely feels as though it'd just snap.
Reply 30
Some observations for folk (pardon me if you're girls, but TSR hid the gender symbols)
1) Womens' clothes don't have many pockets if any
2) Womens's trousers are tight and we have... er... non skinny thighs. Fitting a phone into a front pocket doesn't work unless you are an unusually skinny woman with 'boyfriend' style trousers or cargo trousers or something.
So basically you're left with back pocket. Especially as few of my tops have pockets ever. Alas.
3) I have an ass :p: Its basically a cushion.

*cough* Erm so yeh.
Reply 31
Ok... just checked out my options here and it seems I'll be needing to choose between:

6S
SE

The pluses are all out of my price range without switching network, and doing that is more of a pain and more expensive in Canada.
Its really just being really busy and knowing that it will cause stress to have to learn a different OS. Having to google how to do every little thing that you can normally do without a second thought is very draining and offputting when you've already got too much on your plate.

People overstate the difficulty of switching mobile ecosystem to be honest. Both Apple and Google have an interest in making it as easy to switch over from their competitor as possible, and as a result navigation of both phones has become quite similar:

*iOS has its home button while Android has three home keys that essentially do the same things- pressing home takes you back to the homescreen, the multitask button shows open apps like double tapping an iPhone's home button does, and there's a dedicated back button rather than all apps having their own back button in the top-left hand screen.
*On the homescreen, Android has a dock of your chosen favourite apps at the bottom of the screen, and you can then add all the other apps to either your homescreen(s) to swipe through or keep them tucked away in an app draw (which acts like a big folder).
*The vast majority of apps are cross-platform now with the exception of Apple's first party applications, and they all operate pretty much the same way now on both platforms. You aren't going to have to relearn how to use most things outside of the occasional button placement.

Hell, if you want to you can make your phone look exactly like iOS with very little effort. I threw this together on my phone last year in ten minutes:

I don't care all that much about phone specs. Ok camera, good battery and plenty of data. That's it. I probably need to worry about it being able to travel between Europe and North America. :tomato: Other than that I really don't care about phones. Its just the market that keeps on adding bells and whistles that nobody wants, and there's no way to opt out without missing the things you do actually need.

One feature you might find handy that you can get in Android phones is the ability to use two SIM cards (note the two signal bars in the above screenshot). I've found it invaluable while travelling, keeping my main UK/EU sim in one slot and then buying a local sim for when I'm spending extended periods of time in areas not covered by Three's roaming policy, like the four months I've just been in the Caribbean.

I heard that some phones don't have headphone jacks?

I hate to break it to you, but it's Apple that started that trend! The iPhone SE and iPhone 6S/6S Plus were the last iPhones to use headphone jacks :erm: There are a few Android brands that are following Apple's lead on this, but most phones on sale still have the jack.
(edited 6 years ago)
Its gone down from £79 to £25. If you were happy with your phone previously then replacing the phone battery even for a backup makes more sense. It will also make it easier to resell.

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-battery-and-performance/
Reply 34
Original post by 999tigger
Its gone down from £79 to £25. If you were happy with your phone previously then replacing the phone battery even for a backup makes more sense. It will also make it easier to resell.

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-battery-and-performance/
5Ses are not eligible for the battery replacements.

@Gofre dayum.

Well... headphone jack is a deal breaker, no question. And SE beat the 7 in this review based on battery life. So I think I have my answer.
I think I'll get the SE now and hope that in 2 or 3 years time Apple has sorted itself df out. And if they haven't then most likely I will switch.

Oh and thanks for the clarification on the planned redundancy thing. As a leftie I tend to always assume the corps are screwing with us. Nice to know that their approach did have some logic to it. Though, like you say, I'd much rather the choice.
5Ses are not eligible for the battery replacements.

@Gofre dayum.

Well... headphone jack is a deal breaker, no question. And SE beat the 7 in this review based on battery life. So I think I have my answer.
I think I'll get the SE now and hope that in 2 or 3 years time Apple has sorted itself df out. And if they haven't then most likely I will switch.

Oh and thanks for the clarification on the planned redundancy thing. As a leftie I tend to always assume the corps are screwing with us. Nice to know that their approach did have some logic to it. Though, like you say, I'd much rather the choice.

Oh sorry I defer to Gofre , then. One day someone is going to become very rich when they significantly improve battery efficiency. The slowdown thing was done secretively and it looked as though they were forcing people onto newer models.

Btw it still doesnt mean the battery cant be replaced by a third party.
Reply 36
Original post by 999tigger
Oh sorry I defer to Gofre , then. One day someone is going to become very rich when they significantly improve battery efficiency. The slowdown thing was done secretively and it looked as though they were forcing people onto newer models.

Btw it still doesnt mean the battery cant be replaced by a third party.
It seems the issue is that the iPhone 5S packs in too many battery intensive features but doesn't increase size & therefore can't fit a battery good enough to manage its job. No replacement will fix that, sadly.

Bear in mind that the review isn't including the Plus models of iPhones, which have the SE soundly beat. GSMArena have a standardised battery test with arguably the largest pool of tested phones of any site, and they rank the four Plus sized iPhones as the best performing batteries, followed by the iPhone X and SE. The standard iPhone models are in the opposite of a sweet spot, their batteries are not large enough relative to their screens compared to either the smaller SE or the larger Plus/X models :yep:

https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

Don't get mewrong, the SE will be fine if you just want to get through a normal day of casual use, it's just if you want the best battery an iPhone can offer, you've got to go with the Plus variants :h:

I think I'll get the SE now and hope that in 2 or 3 years time Apple has sorted itself df out. And if they haven't then most likely I will switch

Unfortunately Apple won't be backing down from this one, they want to either push the market towards wireless audio or into their self-contained ecosystem of Lightning accessories. Their first product of 2018, their new Homepod smart speaker, has zero physical inputs, it accepts audio solely over Bluetooth.
Reply 38
I know. But SE is free with my carrier. The pluses all cost and I don't have spare cash :smile: And yeh... headphone jack is non negotaiable. I'm not upgrading my Boses!
I'll sleep on things.

No idea why carriers always seem to force you to get the icky colour of a phone...
(edited 6 years ago)
I had a 5S which had quite bad battery life, but upgrading to the 8 solved the problem :smile: X
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending