The Student Room Group

"Haters gonna hate"™©

Taylor Swift case judged the phrase "Haters gonna hate" too banal to be copyrighted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43056814

I wonder if they can shake it off.

Edited!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Taylor Swift has failed to get the phrase "Haters gonna hate" copyrighted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43056814

I wonder if she can shake it off.

The judge's summing up made me laugh. I highly doubt they were he first to use the phrase anyway.
Reply 2
I don’t think that’s quite what the article is about.
How can you copyright a phrase you didn't create?

EDIT: Just read the article. OP clearly didn't :rofl: Taylor was being sued for using the phrase by a couple of writers and producers who wrote 3LW's Playas Gonna Play. Still, total nonsense case.
(edited 6 years ago)
lmao
copyright this luv

:smug:
Taylor Swift has failed to get the phrase "Haters gonna hate" copyrighted.

:noway: The case was against her by songwriters Sean Hall and Nathan Butler.
The case was against Swift, she wasn't trying to copyright the phrase.
Reply 8
Tbf the case was against Swift by some songwriters claiming she stole the phrase “players gonna play” and “haters gonna hate” from a song they wrote.

In this article, nothing implies that TSwiz tried to copyright any phrase. Unless you linked the wrong article?
Reply 9
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
How can you copyright a phrase you didn't create?

EDIT: Just read the article. OP clearly didn't :rofl: Taylor was being sued for using the phrase by a couple of writers and producers who wrote 3LW's Playas Gonna Play. Still, total nonsense case.

Original post by AngryJellyfish
:noway: The case was against her by songwriters Sean Hall and Nathan Butler.

Original post by moonkatt
The case was against Swift, she wasn't trying to copyright the phrase.

Original post by cat_mac
Tbf the case was against Swift by some songwriters claiming she stole the phrase “players gonna play” and “haters gonna hate” from a song they wrote.

In this article, nothing implies that TSwiz tried to copyright any phrase. Unless you linked the wrong article?

Haters gonna hate.

:wink:

OP gonna be edited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by cat_mac

"The phrase "haters gonna hate" is too "banal" to be copyrighted, a US judge has declared.
Judge Michael W Fitzgerald made the comments while dismissing a copyright case against Taylor Swift."
If you can trademark colours, why not copywrite banal phrases?
Reply 12
Haters gonna hate.

:wink:

OP gonna be edited.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poor show old boy :tongue:
Honestly the term is quite "banal" and yes, I had to look up what "banal" meant lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending