The Student Room Group

King edwards camphill sixth form interview

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Oilfreak1
Teaching is better I particularly found the chemistry teachers to be outstanding (went to a state college late reply and even the worst teacher at the grammar was miles ahead).

What got me was bullying, not really from students but from teachers. In addition to favouritism towards internals with pastoral care being focussed on them rather than everyone, it was like they wanted me to fail.

I think it was one particularly terrible school not reflective of all grammar as. Had I not gone there I would not have met my wonderful gf of 4 years nor would I have the ambition to be better than everyone that came out of that shithole. So I guess everything happens for a reason a 16 year old being bullied by teachers however, was really damaging to my confidence.

If it's not to personal, would you mind telling me what grammar school you went to?
Original post by hasan15
If it's not to personal, would you mind telling me what grammar school you went to?

It isn't personal just wouldn't like to slander the school on a public forum despite the knock of confidence/anxiety the bullying from certain staff members caused. I've moved on to bigger and better things (I hope), and hopefully those particular members of staff are gone now. My parents even comment on how I've totally omitted that year from my life :tongue:. Honestly I think grammar schools are great probably won't send my kids to one though as they will have me for academic support and state schools will make them more well rounded human beings imo.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Imitationgame234
No for Camp Hill girls.

ah, that makes sense because, Camp hill Boys are not doing there interview yet so i got confused. You have my sincerest apology XD Was the interview hard?
Original post by Oilfreak1
Teaching is better I particularly found the chemistry teachers to be outstanding (went to a state college late reply and even the worst teacher at the grammar was miles ahead).

What got me was bullying, not really from students but from teachers. In addition to favouritism towards internals with pastoral care being focussed on them rather than everyone, it was like they wanted me to fail.

I think it was one particularly terrible school not reflective of all grammar as. Had I not gone there I would not have met my wonderful gf of 4 years nor would I have the ambition to be better than everyone that came out of that shithole. So I guess everything happens for a reason a 16 year old being bullied by teachers however, was really damaging to my confidence.

This is so uncanny..... I got bullied by a teacher as well, so much so I had to speak out.
I hope things are better for you now
Original post by CoronationStreet
This is so uncanny..... I got bullied by a teacher as well, so much so I had to speak out.
I hope things are better for you now

Still rebuilding the confidence that took a knocking but my life is great now tbh, got into the MSc program I've had my eyes on for 3 years at the university I've wanted to attend for 9 years, wonderful gf, great group of friends etc.

Aside from missing undergrad life ALOT I have nothing to complain about :tongue:.
Original post by rohit301099
ah, that makes sense because, Camp hill Boys are not doing there interview yet so i got confused. You have my sincerest apology XD Was the interview hard?

Ah don't worry about it it's an easy mistake to make. What subjects have you applied to do?
Ah don't worry about it it's an easy mistake to make. What subjects have you applied to do?

i have applied to do chemistry, physics, maths, biology
i have applied to do chemistry, physics, maths, biology

Good subject choices. Have you heard back from Camp Hill boys yet?
Good subject choices. Have you heard back from Camp Hill boys yet?

Well, they are still going over the applications, so still waiting(the wait is killing me XD)
Well, they are still going over the applications, so still waiting(the wait is killing me XD)

Aw well it should be coming soon! I know how you feel, the wait is awful!
Aw well it should be coming soon! I know how you feel, the wait is awful!

Hm, hopefully XD started revision for the finals yet?:eek:
Hm, hopefully XD started revision for the finals yet?:eek:

Yep, not looking forward to May and June. What about you?
Yep, not looking forward to May and June. What about you?

yep, more then 20 exams in may and june. It will be like hell :biggrin:
Original post by CoronationStreet
Well as a person I was someone who was really confident, because of grammar I feel I have lost all of this confidence,and it has worsened my anxiety. I felt so clever in school, now I feel stupid because theres always someone better than you, so make sure you dont compare yourself because that will get to you down.

Simply, I would not recommend it, I KNOW I would have done better in my AS levels if I didnt go to a grammar, but I cant tell you what to do- this is my experience- its not everyones.

The exact same thing happened to me. Only it was the other way round. I went to grammar school year 7-11, and hated it. But it was awful, I didn't realise I hated it or how toxic it had made me until I left. While I was there I really hated myself, I had terrible self esteem and anxiety issues. I suffered from depression. The moment I left to go to college to do a levels - life improved so much. My teachers no longer put pressure on me to get grades I simply couldn't achieve. My friends didn't judge me because they got better marks in a test than I did. My confidence soared. If I'd chose to stay at grammar school for sixth form (not camp hill, but another King Edwards in bham) I really think I wouldn't be the same today.

The worst part is the teachers - they're the ones who make you feel like a failure more than your own peer group.
I correlate 100% with the opinions above, yet I guess mine was abit more sombre. I go to an Grammar school - "under-achieving" (look at our grades :biggrin:) but it was honestly the worst/best 5 years of my life. For the first three years we weren't put under pressure and I made great friends, but what did nag me in the upper years was the inconsistency of teachers to provide as much support to their students and this fortified habit, from the Head, to maintain reputation even though my school's reputation was **** af. Favourism was habitual throughout every lesson, and if you made one mistake that teacher would nag you for the next lessons to come and dictate to you "oh your in a school that many people would die to come to" - which obviously isnt the case considering some state schools can provide the same level education as grammar.
Reply 55
guys what grades will need to get in? and how many a-levels can you take at camp hill?
i already have an a* in my physics isa (48/50) is that good enough? in my mock i got an a* for p3
i am currently doing 10 gcses
did you get in? x
Original post by sanny666
did you get in? x

this thread was made nearly 2 years ago
Reply 58
Original post by sanny666
did you get in? x

yes haha! In my second year of sixth form now :smile:
Original post by millbaker
yes haha! In my second year of sixth form now :smile:

ahh i go to kehs, im gonna apply for camphill after results because i missed the deadline oops

Quick Reply

Latest