The Student Room Group

Oxford feedback useless as fk?

I was rejected from Oxford post-interview and I recently got my feedback for my application which, in summary, just says everything is very good. To me, the feedback seems very useless... I am planning on reapplying and so this feedback doesn't help at all as it does not inform me what my weaknesses are. How do I know where I need to improve etc etc? I just feel like they can't be fcked writing so many feedbacks and, hence, opted to just say whatever in some of them. Thoughts? Did anyone think their feedback was terrible? Also, can you ask them for further feedback or can you only get feedback once?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Go to another university and be happy.
I think they could've given me scores for every interview instead of just an average. Also, I wouldn't mind if it was more personalised (telling me the exact problems in my application). All in all I liked the feedback, although it made me want to smash my head in the wall since I had 85 in the MAT and had mediocre interviews.
Original post by randomjoined
I think they could've given me scores for every interview instead of just an average. Also, I wouldn't mind if it was more personalised (telling me the exact problems in my application). All in all I liked the feedback, although it made me want to smash my head in the wall since I had 85 in the MAT and had mediocre interviews.

Mate in 5 years time you won't give a damn you didn't get in. I felt the same way, but now see that careers are way more important, no one cares where you went to uni after your first few jobs and it will make a negligible difference if any at all to your career.
My advice is get over it and move on. Oxbridge is seriously overhyped.
Unis don't have to give feedback though, and people given very specific feedback may use this to try and argue their case with the university. I'm sure you could ask for further detail- maybe ask some specific questions- but Oxford don't have to respond.

At Oxford, you're always going to be up against lots of stellar candidates, so if the feedback is essentially "you were very good, but others were better on the day" that's probably the truth, Maybe you weren't a good fit for the college?

I didn’t even get an average for my interviews lol; Just got the word good lol. I was told that My score on the admissions test was top 10% so I also want to smash my head in 20 walls.

I hope you don’t mind me asking but what were your interview scores?
Original post by tahsin360
I hope you don’t mind me asking but what were your interview scores?

I only know my average, which is slightly above 7.
I only know my average, which is slightly above 7.

WHAT?! Isn’t an average of 7 really good though?
Yes this is quite normal and yes it is partially because of time constraints.

I bet its infinitely better than feedback you've had from other universities though, right?
Original post by tahsin360
WHAT?! Isn’t an average of 7 really good though?

The feedback mentioned that offers were given to people with 8 and 9 overall score, so 7 in the interviews is not always enough.
I asked for feedback a week or so after the 10th and the college I applied to replied and said they would send it back within 20 working days, however I have still not received any feedback. Anyone else experienced the same?
Original post by thebelljar98
I asked for feedback a week or so after the 10th and the college I applied to replied and said they would send it back within 20 working days, however I have still not received any feedback. Anyone else experienced the same?

Which college is this?
Original post by thebelljar98

The great majority of our feedback is sent out within 20 working days. The commitment is to achieve this 'under normal circumstances'. If a selector is unwell or away on research leave, it may take longer as normal circumstances don't then hold.

Once the 20 days are up, we would suggest sending a follow-up enquiry asking how much longer you can expect to wait.

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
The great majority of our feedback is sent out within 20 working days. The commitment is to achieve this 'under normal circumstances'. If a selector is unwell or away on research leave, it may take longer as normal circumstances don't then hold.

Once the 20 days are up, we would suggest sending a follow-up enquiry asking how much longer you can expect to wait.

Brasenose Admissions

After waiting for 28 working days, I emailed them again to request my MAT score. I know it varies from college to college but what is a rough estimate of how much longer i have to wait. I was rejected pre interview, so I just want to know my MAT score, nothing else.

Thank you.

Wow thats rough. 85 on MAT is pretty amazing. I guess the effort doesnt go to waste if you applied to imperial, because 85 pretty much guarantees a place.
@RenéDescartes which college was it?
Original post by Rohan77642
Wow thats rough. 85 on MAT is pretty amazing. I guess the effort doesnt go to waste if you applied to imperial, because 85 pretty much guarantees a place.

Yeah I did get a place at Imperial, but I'm still bitter because I could've performed better at interviews.
Original post by Rohan77642
After waiting for 28 working days, I emailed them again to request my MAT score. I know it varies from college to college but what is a rough estimate of how much longer i have to wait. I was rejected pre interview, so I just want to know my MAT score, nothing else.

Thank you.

Not sure what's going on in your case, but as a pre-interview reject myself, I did receive my feedback in about 18 days.
The only useful thing indeed was the MAT score and rank in the feedback, with the note that "This was below the level we would expect from a candidate that we would wish to shortlist...".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending