The Student Room Group

Are my equations for magnesium in copper aqueous solution correct?

I just want to know if the following makes any sense. If it doesn, what am I doing wrong?

Oxidation: Mg(s) Mg2+(aq) +*2e

Reduction: Cu2+(aq) + 2e Cu(s)

Balanced equation: 2 Cu3+(aq) + Mg(s) 2 Cu(s) + 2 Mg2+(aq)

Thanks guys in advance!
Reply 1
no
Reply 2
Original post by daiigou
no

And what am I doing wrong?
Reply 3
Where did the cu3+ come from and why do you need to put numbers in front when the electrons are already balanced?
Reply 4
Cu2+ (aq) + Mg (s) = Cu(s) + Mg 2+(aq)
Reply 5
Original post by C_Yap
Where did the cu3+ come from and why do you need to put numbers in front when the electrons are already balanced?

Ah, the 3+ was a typo, I meant to say 2+ whether that is correct or not, so:

Cu2+(aq) + Mg(s) Cu(s) + Mg2+(aq)?

This is literally my first time doing anything like this. I am a MAJOR novice at this.
Reply 6
Original post by daiigou
Cu2+ (aq) + Mg (s) = Cu(s) + Mg 2+(aq)

Ah, thanks! I am not sure where those numbers came from! I probably forgot to delete them as I copied another balanced equation for a template (so I don't forget where things go). Much appreciated, daiigou and C_Yap! :smile:
Original post by Moribundus
Ah, thanks! I am not sure where those numbers came from! I probably forgot to delete them as I copied another balanced equation for a template (so I don't forget where things go). Much appreciated, daiigou and C_Yap! :smile:

It is always a good idea to proof-read your own work, PARTICULARLY in exams.

Nay, more than a good idea, it is essential.
Reply 8
Original post by charco
It is always a good idea to proof-read your own work, PARTICULARLY in exams.

Nay, more than a good idea, it is essential.

I always proofread my work on assignments and exams but I sometimes fail to do so when I am working on problems like this. I would have noticed my error eventually before I submitted my coursework but I am glad that others noticed it before me and I am chuffed that my equations are right when my typing errors were removed. :smile:

The only reason I was asking if my equations were correct is because this is literally the first time I have done something like this, so it is actually hard for me to proofread this especially as I missed out on studying redox reactions due to illness and had to pretty much use an educated guess to formulate the equations.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
I assume you didn't proof read that response either because there are a few errors. You should really take more care.
Reply 10
Original post by daiigou
I assume you didn't proof read that response either because there are a few errors. You should really take more care.

No, I do not bother proofreading informal replies. Also you should have proofread your first reply as you forgot to capitalise the n in ''no'' and you missed out a full stop at the end of your exceedingly short sentence.

Quick Reply

Latest