The Student Room Group

What Grade (9-1) Is This Question?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thekidwhogames
Chi squared tests are also in Biology.

I know, it's AIDS.

Biology has higher level maths content than Chemistry and roughly the same as physics - it's so stupid
Original post by Kyber Ninja
I know, it's AIDS.

Biology has higher level maths content than Chemistry and roughly the same as physics - it's so stupid

I wouldn't say that to be honest. It has harder Maths but only used within a formula - Chemistry and Physics requires mathematical manipulation and understanding, not just plugging into a formula of standard deviation or what not (Biology A level).
it gives me a headache just looking at it....
If a question worth 7 MARKS like this ever showed up i would literally just give up on life
Reply 64
I wouldn't say that to be honest. It has harder Maths but only used within a formula - Chemistry and Physics requires mathematical manipulation and understanding, not just plugging into a formula of standard deviation or what not (Biology A level).

yh thats a fair point,physics and chem both have log calculations in as opposed to bio for example, but for someone who isn't as good at stats, bio could be difficult for them
Original post by irrelevant kid
I'm predicted a grade 9. This took me around 10 minutes. It's a really good question and I can definitely see something like it coming up in the exams.

Thank you for your feedback
Original post by mekail2001
If a question worth 7 MARKS like this ever showed up i would literally just give up on life

Haha I do my best
Mate, I'm not confused lol. I've already sat my GCSE and I'm telling you there are questions even much much harder than this. Take last year's Edexcel question on the cosine rule GCSE 9-1:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4740560

This question (from this thread) would be a good grade 9 question. As you can see, both AQA and Edexcel have given even harder questions.

Also, this is on spec GCSE syllabus. Nothing in this question required anything beyond cosine rule and sine rule (with algebra) hence a grade 9 question.

You're wrong lol. I did last years paper as my mock and got 93% and the cosine question wasn't hard, as you just had to apply certain rules and equation that you know to the question to get the answer. However, this is something completely new, because nothing like it has been learnt and isnt even on the syllabus, which is why you won't find any questions like that in any specimen or past papers for EDEXCEL. That's why i'm saying i dont know where he found this question if he's doing edexcel because it would serve him better doing questions on stuff that are actually likely to come up...That's A level ****
I'm predicted a grade 9. This took me around 10 minutes. It's a really good question and I can definitely see something like it coming up in the exams.

What exam board are you on? Because nothing like that is in the text books for edexcel or in the past papers. I knew how to work out the first part, but i got lost on the sine rule section?
Reply 69
Original post by Somtochi
You're wrong lol. I did last years paper as my mock and got 93% and the cosine question wasn't hard, as you just had to apply certain rules and equation that you know to the question to get the answer. However, this is something completely new, because nothing like it has been learnt and isnt even on the syllabus, which is why you won't find any questions like that in any specimen or past papers for EDEXCEL. That's why i'm saying i dont know where he found this question if he's doing edexcel because it would serve him better doing questions on stuff that are actually likely to come up...That's A level ****

Why is this not on the syllabus? It’s just a hard application of the sine and cosine rules.

What are you actually on about? This question is just cosine and sine rule too.

I’m doing AQA and I designed this question for pupils who are aiming for a grade 9 that are looking for challenging questions
What exam board are you on? Because nothing like that is in the text books for edexcel or in the past papers. I knew how to work out the first part, but i got lost on the sine rule section?

I'm on Edexcel. This is just a more challenging application of the cosine and sine rule.

Have you seen the last question of Edexcel Paper 1 from the GCSE in summer? That was again just a more challenging application of skills that are taught in the syllabus.
I'm on Edexcel. This is just a more challenging application of the cosine and sine rule.

Have you seen the last question of Edexcel Paper 1 from the GCSE in summer? That was again just a more challenging application of skills that are taught in the syllabus.

Ye, the one about pie? i got that one! Ye they are just more challenging applications and are easy. But, i feel like this is completely beyond me and dont really know how to answer it and have never seen a question like this from edexcel in anything. Could you post the solution?
Ye, the one about pie? i got that one! Ye they are just more challenging applications and are easy. But, i feel like this is completely beyond me and dont really know how to answer it and have never seen a question like this from edexcel in anything. Could you post the solution?

I'm on about the "Prove that cosPBQ" one, with the hexagon. I think that was Paper 1, at least.

Just because you haven't seen this type of question, doesn't mean something like it won't come up. It's good to practice challenging questions - they'll prepare you more for the real exams.

@thekidwhogames posted a solution on this thread; go back a bit and it'll be there (currently in the middle of revision, otherwise I'd type up my working).
Original post by Y11_Maths
I’m doing AQA and I designed this question for pupils who are aiming for a grade 9 that are looking for challenging questions

I knew it! Bro you can't be scaring people like that ahah thats a further maths/AS question and people answering that will no doubt be getting 9's.
What are you actually on about? This question is just cosine and sine rule too.

I just looked at the question properly and know how to do. Does anyone have the actual answer. I just got scared when i saw the Y and X nonesense and didnt even reason:biggrin::tongue:
Original post by Notnek
Why is this not on the syllabus? It’s just a hard application of the sine and cosine rules.

Excuse my ignorance. I didnt fully look at the question and just took a glance then came to a conclusion ahahah. However, i doubt a question that challenging will come up in either og the papers. Does anyone have the answer to it?
I'm on about the "Prove that cosPBQ" one, with the hexagon. I think that was Paper 1, at least.

Just because you haven't seen this type of question, doesn't mean something like it won't come up. It's good to practice challenging questions - they'll prepare you more for the real exams.

@thekidwhogames posted a solution on this thread; go back a bit and it'll be there (currently in the middle of revision, otherwise I'd type up my working).

PM me your snapchat bro aha Would love to talk more with you
I knew it! Bro you can't be scaring people like that ahah thats a further maths/AS question and people answering that will no doubt be getting 9's.

Haha thanks, can’t wait till I submit my paper 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest