The Student Room Group

Tried to report girl to police but I get interrogated?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by erratic_deus
Thank you.
Being autistic doesn't mean you're a retard.
I think it means you are exceptionally cool.
I'm a member of Mensa too.
Correct, it doesn't mean you're a retard. And yet so many people use it as though it was interchangeable, wchich your previous post came across.

Being a member of Mensa doesn't mean anything. I passed it up; I have nothing to prove. But if you consider it necessary, that's up to you.
Original post by Tootles
Correct, it doesn't mean you're a retard. And yet so many people use it as though it was interchangeable, wchich your previous post came across.

Being a member of Mensa doesn't mean anything. I passed it up; I have nothing to prove. But if you consider it necessary, that's up to you.

I am certain you did.
Don't be a grass.
No one likes a grass.
Original post by Anonymous
So there is this girl that I didn't get on with years back but haven't really had any beef with her recently. Anyway I like finding out the history and specs on people's cars, and her car has been untaxed for over a year, and no MOT for months as well.

She drives it (or at least I assume so because I once saw her in a driving lesson, and the car seems to be randomly moved when I walk past her house from school)

I had let her know that she hadn't any tax (DVLA makes mistakes, yaknow?) about 6 months ago or something? Anyway she didn't act on it. I just randomly decided to check her reg plate yesterday and *boom* I saw the horror.

Reported it to the police on 101 as instructed by the DVLA website and the guy first said it wasn't a police matter and it was for the DVLA. I tried to tell him the DVLA themselves said it wasn't for them and had instructed me to ring 101. Then he tries taking down the details of her address and my address which I give but he then he keeps questioning me about why I am checking people's reg plates, if I check her plates often etc. etc. and I know he is trying to get me to slip up and make me out to be a stalker. Okay not a normal activity but I'm not stalking anyone! He keeps on being quite unfair, making *ME* out to be in the wrong when I'm trying to do the right thing.

Then he asks for her reg plate and I didn't want to fall into his trap because I knew he was trying so hard to make it seem like I am a stalker.

So now I feel really awful, I'm worried the police are going to come for me, and a dangerous driver IS NOT HAVING ANY JUSTICE!!!!!!

I am not trying to sound patronising when I say it is very clear that you have a very strong sense of justice- which is absolutely fine, and yeah people should be outed on this. He may have just asked for the reg plate so then he could find out, and even if he did suspect that you were are stalker, he'd need to find a bit more evidence than that, in my view anyway. HOWEVER, there may be a reason why she hasn't sorted out her DVLA, and whilst it is great that you are prompting her and trying to ensure that she is legal to drive, it isn't really a problem you need to get on with. If she is old enough to drive a car, then it is HER responsibility, not yours. Just concentrate on making sure that you are insured and have the legal requirements to drive- she deals with her own actions, and has to face her own consequences to be able to learn lessons for the future- by herself.
Have a nice day :smile:
-H
I am certain you did.
Not to say I was offered, I know it doesn't work like that. I meant more as in many people have suggested it, but it doesn't appeal to me.
Original post by cat_mac
I’m not defending them, what they did is wrong. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t question OP.

People aren’t good or bad. We’re a mixture of both, and we all make bad choices. Even OP did a good thing by attempting to report someone, they are still capable of bad and their sketchy behaviour should be questioned. The untaxed driver doing something bad doesn’t mean they should be put in danger.

Dunno if you've seen the OP or not, but the driver also didn't have MOT. Therefore, they're putting lives at risk by driving that car around.

I can see where you're coming from, but the last person I want on the roads is someone without MOT and tax (and possibly insurance).
If it's not SORNed and she's driving it without any MOT or insurance, she's endangering other people's lives while being behind the wheel. You're not in the wrong, you're just potentially saving someone's life. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I also remember the plates of my 147 bus. I try to get on this bus each morning.

SN6I BXJ

PJ52LWF was the last bus i got on it was the 45 lmao
So the DVLA arent doing their job properly, so I guess someone needs too!

However, you have no proof she uses it, so if it Sorne, and on a driveway or garage thats fine. No MOT needed. No MOT also needed if it less than 3 years old.
Original post by Anonymous
So there is this girl that I didn't get on with years back but haven't really had any beef with her recently. Anyway I like finding out the history and specs on people's cars, and her car has been untaxed for over a year, and no MOT for months as well.

She drives it (or at least I assume so because I once saw her in a driving lesson, and the car seems to be randomly moved when I walk past her house from school)

I had let her know that she hadn't any tax (DVLA makes mistakes, yaknow?) about 6 months ago or something? Anyway she didn't act on it. I just randomly decided to check her reg plate yesterday and *boom* I saw the horror.

Reported it to the police on 101 as instructed by the DVLA website and the guy first said it wasn't a police matter and it was for the DVLA. I tried to tell him the DVLA themselves said it wasn't for them and had instructed me to ring 101. Then he tries taking down the details of her address and my address which I give but he then he keeps questioning me about why I am checking people's reg plates, if I check her plates often etc. etc. and I know he is trying to get me to slip up and make me out to be a stalker. Okay not a normal activity but I'm not stalking anyone! He keeps on being quite unfair, making *ME* out to be in the wrong when I'm trying to do the right thing.

Then he asks for her reg plate and I didn't want to fall into his trap because I knew he was trying so hard to make it seem like I am a stalker.

So now I feel really awful, I'm worried the police are going to come for me, and a dangerous driver IS NOT HAVING ANY JUSTICE!!!!!!

It sounds like you are one who doesnt take rejection from a girl quite well. Mind your damn business child!
Snitches get stiches.
Reply 91
Original post by Jack22031994
So the DVLA arent doing their job properly, so I guess someone needs too!

However, you have no proof she uses it, so if it Sorne, and on a driveway or garage thats fine. No MOT needed. No MOT also needed if it less than 3 years old.

OP mentioned it's parked on the road, and they'd know whether it was SORNed so we can assume it isn't.
Original post by RoyalSheepy

Haha. It’s true though, no one has a duty to report the unpaid tax of an unrelated person.
Snake
lol what a loser, serves you right!
Original post by Bio 7
What is your problem. Why are you infringing on the lives of others like that, it isn't your job.

Perhaps he/she pays their tax(es), and feels everyone else should do likewise - rather than getting a 'free ride' on their taxes. I'd sort of feel the same way myself, actually.
Original post by Rabbit2
Perhaps he/she pays their tax(es), and feels everyone else should do likewise - rather than getting a 'free ride' on their taxes. I'd sort of feel the same way myself, actually.

Try investigating the lives and personal information of all the people you’ve had beef with in the past until you find something dodgy and then, like OP, you can be a creepy tax vigilante/stalker too!
Reply 97
Original post by cat_mac
Try investigating the lives and personal information of all the people you’ve had beef with in the past until you find something dodgy and then, like OP, you can be a creepy tax vigilante/stalker too!

Do you agree that the lass should get away with driving an unsafe car that has the potential to kill, whilst also contributing to the raising of insurance premiums for every single driver on the road?
Original post by IWMTom
Do you agree that the lass should get away with driving an unsafe car that has the potential to kill, whilst also contributing to the raising of insurance premiums for every single driver on the road?

No I don’t, but I find OP’s behaviour dodgy. To check details on a person that they have a bad history with, who knows how deeply they’ve looked into that persons life to find fault? What prompted them to be suspicious of their tax payments?

I don’t condone what the car owner did, but their safety is still important even if they broke the law. If someone was looking into someone I loved’s life like OP described, i’d be concerned at least.
Reply 99
Original post by cat_mac
No I don’t, but I find OP’s behaviour dodgy. To check details on a person that they have a bad history with, who knows how deeply they’ve looked into that persons life to find fault? What prompted them to be suspicious of their tax payments?

I don’t condone what the car owner did, but their safety is still important even if they broke the law. If someone was looking into someone I loved’s life like OP described, i’d be concerned at least.

I look into the number plates of morons I catch on my dashcam who have annoyed me to see if they're driving legally - is my behaviour dodgy?

Quick Reply

Latest