The Student Room Group

What exactly is wrong with Oxfam workers hiring prostitutes in Haiti

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miss.Unknow
OP i have come to the conclusion that you're a sick troll. Reported

Yawn. And you just expect people to have the same values as you. How ignorant.

The Oxfam workers having sex with a prostitute is not mutually exclusive with helping them additionally. If it was revealed that they left a tip, would that make you feel better? It should, the prostitute will have been very pleased. Who are you trying to help? Other people? Or your own vanity?
Original post by nonotyoutoo
Yawn. And you just expect people to have the same values as you. How ignorant.

The Oxfam workers having sex with a prostitute is not mutually exclusive with helping them additionally. If it was revealed that they left a tip, would that make you feel better? It should, the prostitute will have been very pleased. Who are you trying to help? Other people? Or your own vanity?

Just confirmed that you are definitely a vile troll.
Maybe it's because of old desparate wrinkly white men in power taking advantage of vunerable young women during a time of need? just a thought.

The whole charity is shambolic and they honestly deserve everything coming to them.

And you just confirmed you just want to feel good about yourself at the expense of whatever the consequences are for others, even if they're the people you "want to help".

Let say that an Oxfam worker agrees to pay a scholarship to a prostitute as a gratuity expense (that's a tip to you). But you don't feel good about prostitution. So you would do everything you can to stop the that transaction to go ahead even though you know that for the prostitute, her life chances would be better abroad with a scholarship than to stay in Haiti and wait for the education system to be rebuilt with additional information risks of corruption, social unrest etc. But you, on your moral high horse made of imported snowflakes harvest by Fair-trade Inuits would look at that prostitute in the eye and say "oh but honey, I'm doing this for your own good". Are you? Wouldn't you feel like such a *****y hypocritical human being?
And you just confirmed you just want to feel good about yourself at the expense of whatever the consequences are for others, even if they're the people you "want to help".

Let say that an Oxfam worker agrees to pay a scholarship to a prostitute as a gratuity expense (that's a tip to you). But you don't feel good about prostitution. So you would do everything you can to stop the that transaction to go ahead even though you know that for the prostitute, her life chances would be better abroad with a scholarship than to stay in Haiti and wait for the education system to be rebuilt with additional information risks of corruption, social unrest etc. But you, on your moral high horse made of imported snowflakes harvest by Fair-trade Inuits would look at that prostitute in the eye and say "oh but honey, I'm doing this for your own good". Are you? Wouldn't you feel like such a *****y hypocritical human being?

This is the dumbest ****ery, I've ever read in my entire life of living on planet earth, please stop spewing **** as you're already causing a ****storm. The old digusting bucked up tooth pricks could've given the girls a donation of some sort I.e school funding, home etc. without exploiting them, INFACT they deserve to be prosecuted, the fact Oxfam tried to brush this under the carpet implies the idea that this whole scenario is ****ed up.

Drake the rapper, donated money to a random college student the other day, he didnt ask for anything in return.
(edited 6 years ago)

To make my example less of an logical extreme. The Oxfam worker is committed anyway to helping prostitute in every way already promised and the prostitute simply gets extra money for am optional service. Her marginal (as in the economic sense of an extra) act of prostitution does not negatively affect the help she was already promised.

Of course that may now be in danger. But not from her. Or even Oxfam who remains as committed to doing every thing else as ever. But from people like you with your vain moral high horses always on the look out for a new "me too" moment.

Well, no. Not you too.
Original post by Archosaur
This is the dumbest ****ery, I've ever read in my entire life of living on planet earth, please stop spewing **** as you're already causing a ****storm. The old digusting bucked up tooth pricks could've given the girls a donation of some sort I.e school funding, home etc. without exploiting them, they deserve everything coming to them, INFACT they deserve to be prosecuted.

FOR EXAMPLE, Drake the rapper, donated money to a random college student the other day, he didnt ask for anything in return.

But Drake could have also donated money anyway and pay extra money for extra services. The extras in no way negate any other independent promises.

The workers gave the Haitians everything they promised and some extra to specific sex workers. They did not renege on their original promises.
But Drake could have also donated money anyway and pay extra money for extra services. The extras in no way negate any other independent promises.

The workers gave the Haitians everything they promised and some extra to specific sex workers. They did not renege on their original promises.

WOW. JUST. WOW.

You clearly were dropped at birth, theres no way a human being can think like that.

The So Called "Aid workers" AKA rotten disgusting prats participated in illegal activity. There shouldnt even be a debate on this, SOMEONE WITH A FULLY FUNCTIONING BRAIN SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE THEIR BRAIN CELLS TO KNOW THAT THIS SCENARIO IS ****ED UP, argument closed.
(edited 6 years ago)

Clearly nothing I'm going to say is gonna make you change your mind, whether you're a troll or just... opinionated.

Many young women, not just in Haiti, don't go into prostitution because they want to. These young women (some of them aren't even of legal age) weren't 'prostitutes' before the earthquake, they were at school, had normal jobs etc. But since the earthquake, they have been left with nothing, they have no homes, little food and water, and no longer have their schools or jobs. They don't go into prostitution because it's better pay than somewhere else, they do it because its all they can do to support themselves and their families. Selling your body at the age of 14 is a horrific idea, and one that is sadly common around the world.

The fact that there the country director alongside his staff have been abusing their positions, taking advantage of young women in a crisis is just disgusting. It doesn't matter that they're paying them extra money on top of that (even though the money they're using isn't theirs personally but the charities funding from taxpayers), it's the fact that they are hurting those they are supposed to be helping.

There are some fantastic TED talks about prostitution and sex trafficking (not specifically about Haiti but places such as Thailand and Cambodia, where I have worked and witnessed first hand) which I highly recommend before you talk about a subject you don't fully understand.

Ta <3
Original post by Archosaur
WOW. JUST. WOW.

You clearly were dropped at birth, theres no way a human being can think like that.

The So Called "Aid workers" AKA rotten disgusting prats participated in illegal activity. There shouldnt even be a debate on this, SOMEONE WITH A FULLY FUNCTIONING BRAIN SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE THEIR BRAIN CELLS TO KNOW THAT THIS SCENARIO IS ****ED UP, argument closed.

Calm down dear, I am just capable of thinking much more analytically than you do. Strip down this scenario to its base components and you will see cold hard reason.

I have degrees in 3 fields including a Masters. I have wasted my time yes, but I think I can think more clearly than you can.
Original post by Hobo-Joe
Clearly nothing I'm going to say is gonna make you change your mind, whether you're a troll or just... opinionated.

Many young women, not just in Haiti, don't go into prostitution because they want to. These young women (some of them aren't even of legal age) weren't 'prostitutes' before the earthquake, they were at school, had normal jobs etc. But since the earthquake, they have been left with nothing, they have no homes, little food and water, and no longer have their schools or jobs. They don't go into prostitution because it's better pay than somewhere else, they do it because its all they can do to support themselves and their families. Selling your body at the age of 14 is a horrific idea, and one that is sadly common around the world.

The fact that there the country director alongside his staff have been abusing their positions, taking advantage of young women in a crisis is just disgusting. It doesn't matter that they're paying them extra money on top of that (even though the money they're using isn't theirs personally but the charities funding from taxpayers), it's the fact that they are hurting those they are supposed to be helping.

There are some fantastic TED talks about prostitution and sex trafficking (not specifically about Haiti but places such as Thailand and Cambodia, where I have worked and witnessed first hand) which I highly recommend before you talk about a subject you don't fully understand.

Ta <3

I am opinionated. I don't think the workers exploited the prostitutes because they paid as standard, they did not use their position to coerce discounts and also because exploitation can't be exploitation if they want to be exploited.

I agree that it is tragic that they have become a prostitute at such a young age out of necessity. I am not disputing that. I do dispute however that a marginal negative has been created because the Oxfam workers had sex with the prostitute.

They are still committed to ensuring a better future livelihood. There is no information that the workers wish to keep the girls in prostitution like a pimp. But in the mean time, the prostitute clearly gains a marginal benefit from an extra customer.

It's about marginal cost / benefit. Do a cost / benefit analysis and you will understand. Sure its not a cuddly conclusion, but rational.
Calm down dear, I am just capable of thinking much more analytically than you do. Strip down this scenario to its base components and you will see cold hard reason.

I have degrees in 3 fields including a Masters. I have wasted my time yes, but I think I can think more clearly than you can.

Sorry but I don't think or speak in pedo.

At @Hobo-Joe and many other people on this thread have broken down the situation extremely well, but the way you broke it down is like you only have 0 functioning brain cells.

You having degrees don't mean ****, there are people on this universe who can think much more logically and coherently who don't even have degree. In your posts, you have pretty much admitted you're a sympathizer of corrupt old decaying scum and pathetic excuses of humans.
I watched the TV today and saw Eamonn Holmes tear a new one for a spokesman for Oxfam that had come into the studio to answer questions.
Original post by Just my opinion
I watched the TV today and saw Eamonn Holmes tear a new one for a spokesman for Oxfam that had come into the studio to answer questions.

I would like to have been the spokesman :smile: think I could have done a bang up job
Just seen on TV, they were trading aid for sex which adds a new angle to this.
There is no indication that they failed to pay a living wage.

Is it not potentially that the Oxfam employees might have been paying said sex workers with charity money? That was my initial thought. And obviously people don’t donate to charity to help volunteers have sex...
Original post by carrotstar
Is it not potentially that the Oxfam employees might have been paying said sex workers with charity money? That was my initial thought. And obviously people don’t donate to charity to help volunteers have sex...

It's possible. If that's true, then it's a misuse of public funds, regardless of how it was spent. For me it would have been perfectly fine for them to hire a prostitute with their own money.
Original post by hannxm
Just seen on TV, they were trading aid for sex which adds a new angle to this.

I don't have a TV. But yes, that would add a new angle, one which I would not defend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending