The Student Room Group

Can Hypnotherapy be used to treat anxiety and depression?

Can it be used to treat social anxiety?
I'm thinking of going to some sessions, from what I have read about it, it should treat these.
Reply 1
I'm thinking of going to some sessions, from what I have read about it, it should treat these.
Reply 2
Can anybody anybody answer my question?
It depends on the person? That's literally the answer. Nobody can tell you whether or not it will work for you. I would say definately try a session if you can afford it and then continue if you like it.
Reply 4
Original post by User909

Depression is a bit complicated so what works for some people may not work for others. Hypnotherapy can be helpful for some people though so you could give it a go if you want.
You could also try methods like therapy or counselling. CBT is a type of therapy that's often effective for conditions like depression and anxiety and in some areas you can self refer for NHS therapy.
Reply 5
Original post by btecbiochemistry
It depends on the person? That's literally the answer. Nobody can tell you whether or not it will work for you. I would say definately try a session if you can afford it and then continue if you like it.

So theres a chance that it could work?
Reply 6
Original post by Kindred
Depression is a bit complicated so what works for some people may not work for others. Hypnotherapy can be helpful for some people though so you could give it a go if you want.
You could also try methods like therapy or counselling. CBT is a type of therapy that's often effective for conditions like depression and anxiety and in some areas you can self refer for NHS therapy.

So there is a chance it could work? I can give it a go I suppose.
Yes of course there is a chance it could work. The use of making something that's making you nervous smaller, and visualising that, has been used for chronic pain/other illnesses, not just anxiety. I personally use it myself even if I don't go to hypnotherapy.
Reply 8
Original post by btecbiochemistry
Yes of course there is a chance it could work. The use of making something that's making you nervous smaller, and visualising that, has been used for chronic pain/other illnesses, not just anxiety. I personally use it myself even if I don't go to hypnotherapy.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Original post by User909

Vitamin B12 - google it

Quick Reply

Latest