The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough Sort and Exercise Science (Gymnastics pathway)?

Hi, is there anybody on here who is taking/has taken the gymnastics pathway at Loughborough? I'm not sure whether to take this course or the normal sport and exercise science course and I'm wondering how similar they are.

The Sport and Exercise Science course includes:

Year 1

Students will take introductory modules in:

Physiology
Biomechanics
Motor Control
Psychology
Sociology
Coaching and Pedagogy
Physical Activity and Health
Sport Management
An additional module addressing the professional skills necessary for Sport and Exercise Sciences (e.g. IT, research training and design) will also be taken.

Year 2

A compulsory module to further develop your Scientific and Research Skills will be taken. You then select from a list of optional modules reflecting all the disciplines of Sport and Exercise Science, including, but not limited to:

Biomechanics of Sports Movements
Exercise Biochemistry
Exercise Physiology
Managing Sports Organisations
Physical Activity, Sedentary Behaviour and Health
Sport Ideologies and Values
Sport and Exercise Pedagogy
Psychological Issues and Strategies in Sport
Teaching and Coaching
Modules up to 20 credits can be selected from outside the course.

Optional placement / study year

Professional placement and/or overseas study.

Final year

Students select options from modules available in a similar range of discipline areas to those outlined for Year 2. This includes 'Science and Elite Performance An Integrated and Applied Perspective', which encourages students to foster a multi-disciplinary approach to understanding the contemporary scientific determinants of elite performance within a range of different sporting contexts.

You may also opt to undertake a substantial Research Project module that will involve investigating a sport and exercise science topic in which you have developed a particular interest.

Are many of these modules included in the gymnastics course or are the courses completely different?

Thanks.
Hi, I am looking to do this course in 2017. When I went to the open day I asked a girl who was doing this gymnastics pathway, and she said that you do the same modules as the normal sport science course but when it comes to the 'option' modules they are mostly chosen for you as they are the gymnastics modules. And you do added modules on gymnastics too.
Hope that helps, are you looking to apply for next year?
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by SaidLeLeprechaun
Hi, is there anybody on here who is taking/has taken the gymnastics pathway at Loughborough? I'm not sure whether to take this course or the normal sport and exercise science course and I'm wondering how similar they are.

Original post by Charlie1316
Hi, I am looking to do this course in 2017. When I went to the open day I asked a girl who was doing this gymnastics pathway, and she said that you do the same modules as the normal sport science course but when it comes to the 'option' modules they are mostly chosen for you as they are the gymnastics modules. And you do added modules on gymnastics too.
Hope that helps, are you looking to apply for next year?

Thanks Charlie1316 - couldn't have said it better myself :biggrin:
Hope you enjoyed the Open Day and great that you're both looking to study here at Loughborough.

Vicky
Reply 3
Hi I’ve received an AAB offer and am disappointed as I hope to be given some leeway for sport performance. I am predicted ABC so am wondering what happens if I don’t get the extra grades, is there a chance of still being accepted?I did the AASE course which is supposed to be equivalent to a B but offer says GCE grades AAB so am I right assuming the AASE points won’t count?
Original post by Tamejoca
Hi I’ve received an AAB offer and am disappointed as I hope to be given some leeway for sport performance. I am predicted ABC so am wondering what happens if I don’t get the extra grades, is there a chance of still being accepted?I did the AASE course which is supposed to be equivalent to a B but offer says GCE grades AAB so am I right assuming the AASE points won’t count?

Hi Tamejoca
A typical offer for Sport and Exercise Science is AAA, so AAB is kind of the leeway you were hoping for.
It's an extremely popular course and there is a lot of competition to get on it.
I can't answer specifics about AASE - you would need to contact [email protected] and ask them directly.
My only advice is to work hard and get tthe very best results you can and then take it from there.
You may be surprised at how well you do.
Good luck
Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest