The Student Room Group
Hi there,

Thank you for considering Roehampton! Can I ask if it’s PGCE Primary or Secondary that you’re hoping to study?

I would recommend checking out our teacher training video if you haven't already: https://youtu.be/dpiLxJpxXdQ

The University of Roehampton has delivered teacher training for over 175 years, longer than any other higher education institution in the UK. As one of the UK’s most highly-rated, and the longest-running provider of teacher education, we can offer you the best foundation for a successful career in the profession.
Reply 2
Both are rated highly! I'll be starting at UCL IOE in September. It's worth considering the following:

How you felt on your interview day at both institutions

Where you'll be based in London and where each institution may put you for placement

Differences in the programmes (how long each placement lasts, how long you spend at university etc.)

Any extra opportunities/perks that come with the programme (for example the IOE have an optional course where you can go to China and learn Mandarin)

Personally, I chose IOE because I have only heard good things about it from colleagues and family who have studied there, I got a great vibe on my interview day and it has a fab reputation. I don't know much about Roehampton so couldn't really comment.
Original post by University of Roehampton (Official)
Hi there,

Thank you for considering Roehampton! Can I ask if it’s PGCE Primary or Secondary that you’re hoping to study?

I would recommend checking out our teacher training video if you haven't already: https://youtu.be/dpiLxJpxXdQ

The University of Roehampton has delivered teacher training for over 175 years, longer than any other higher education institution in the UK. As one of the UK’s most highly-rated, and the longest-running provider of teacher education, we can offer you the best foundation for a successful career in the profession.

Thanks for the reply!

Is there anything about the course structure online? How many days is it in the uni and how many at the school? Idea of what the course actually teaches?

PGCE English (hopefully!) Secondary
Reply 5
Hi,

I had to choose between Roehampton and IOE too (for secondary Biology).

I'm currently doing my undergrad at Roehampton so I already know what it's like here. The campus is really beautiful and I found the atmosphere during my interview to be quite calm and relaxed. I thought the tutors seemed really helpful. Things to consider: the course numbers at Roehampton will be much smaller than IOE - so I would expect to have a better relationship with the tutor at Roehampton, but a larger course might appeal to you more. Also, take a look at the partner schools. Quite a few of them are Catholic schools and most are in South London, but I was told at interview they could place you near home if they have any partners near you. The other thing is course structure. Roehampton want you to have the same experience as SD trainees, so you have to be in school from September, and that might make it easier to establish a presence in the school.

IoE had a very tense interview atmosphere and I didn't really feel that comfortable or connected with the tutors the way I was with the Roehampton tutors. However, IoE is where the London teach first cohort do their training, so you can expect to be learning at a similar standard to them. Also, not sure about other subjects but I know that science trainees will go on trips to museums etc with coursemates and with pupils too I think, so I thought that would be a pretty unique experience compared to other providers. From what I got at the interview, placements are between January and June. I have no idea what's happening from September to Xmas. Timetable that above poster sent looks different though so maybe I misheard.

Anyway I ended up choosing IoE to get out of my comfort zone at Roehampton, and because I'm not really bothered about being in school from the first day. The course structure definitely appealed to me more at IoE. Atmosphere at interview was tense, but I'm hoping people are nicer and not as competitive once the course starts.

Those are my thoughts and what I did, hope it helps. Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by StuckInTheMiddle
Thanks for the reply!

Is there anything about the course structure online? How many days is it in the uni and how many at the school? Idea of what the course actually teaches?

PGCE English (hopefully!) Secondary

Hi there,

You can view our course page here.

The PGCE English programme will prepare you to teach all aspects of English in secondary schools. The programme is taught by tutors who have considerable experience in the secondary school sector as well as in managing PGCE students.

By the end of the programme you will have learnt how to develop and extend your pupils' language competence in all its forms, how to organise, structure and assess work for a range of abilities and ages, how to meet the needs of individual learners and how to implement strategies promoting equal opportunities. You will learn about current developments in the teaching of English and its place as a core subject in the National Curriculum. This includes a close look at three key areas: ICT, media and drama. A resource centre has been established at Roehampton so that you will have access to a wide range of texts and materials to support your teaching.

To answer your question about how many days you spend at schools, you will spend 120 days in two schools and observation in your first school starts at the beginning of September. You will write three assignments, one in each term; your teaching is also assessed each term. From October you are in school every week day except Wednesdays. In January you go to a primary school for three days and at the end of your third term, you spend five days a week in school.

If there's anything else you need to know about the course or Roehampton, please let us know :smile:
Hi there,

The PGCE English programme will prepare you to teach all aspects of English in secondary schools. The programme is taught by tutors who have considerable experience in the secondary school sector as well as in managing PGCE students.

By the end of the programme you will have learnt how to develop and extend your pupils' language competence in all its forms, how to organise, structure and assess work for a range of abilities and ages, how to meet the needs of individual learners and how to implement strategies promoting equal opportunities. You will learn about current developments in the teaching of English and its place as a core subject in the National Curriculum. This includes a close look at three key areas: ICT, media and drama. A resource centre has been established at Roehampton so that you will have access to a wide range of texts and materials to support your teaching.

To answer your question about how many days you spend at schools, you will spend 120 days in two schools and observation in your first school starts at the beginning of September. You will write three assignments, one in each term; your teaching is also assessed each term. From October you are in school every week day except Wednesdays. In January you go to a primary school for three days and at the end of your third term, you spend five days a week in school.

If there's anything else you need to know about the course or Roehampton, please let us know :smile:

Thanks for the reply!

Do you have an example timetable? The response was really useful, but is there any more specifics? What does the assessment consist of?
Hi! I currently have offers for the UCL course for both school direct and university direct options. I am really stuck as to which I should go for. Is there any advice you might be able to give me from your experience and seeing how the school direct experience differed to yours? For example is the above timetable the same for both routes? Thanks a lot!

Hi! I currently have offers for the UCL course for both school direct and university direct options. I am really stuck as to which I should go for. Is there any advice you might be able to give me from your experience and seeing how the school direct experience differed to yours? For example is the above timetable the same for both routes? Thanks a lot!
Original post by Annatromps

Yes, the above timetable is same for both routes if you are doing the non salaried route.
Original post by rillette
Any extra opportunities/perks that come with the programme (for example the IOE have an optional course where you can go to China and learn Mandarin)

Do you know if this is still available, e.g. 2020 cohort? Really interested in this! there is nothing on IOE website about this.
I have unconditional offer at University of Greenwich and conditional offer at UCL for PGCE Biology. I have to clear English Equivalency exam as I am an international student. Can someone please help me which one should I choose? Does IOE helps you in finding a school for NQT? I am really confused. People are telling its doesn’t matter where you do your PGCE from.
Original post by Wantobeateacher
I have unconditional offer at University of Greenwich and conditional offer at UCL for PGCE Biology. I have to clear English Equivalency exam as I am an international student. Can someone please help me which one should I choose? Does IOE helps you in finding a school for NQT? I am really confused. People are telling its doesn’t matter where you do your PGCE from.

All universities will offer you support you for the interview process (if you ask for it) and advertise job opportunities for the NQT year, but it's totally up to you to find the school.
It's totally up to you at the end of the day. I go to IOE.
Original post by thenextchemist
All universities will offer you support you for the interview process (if you ask for it) and advertise job opportunities for the NQT year, but it's totally up to you to find the school.
It's totally up to you at the end of the day. I go to IOE.

Thank you so much for your reply.
Reply 15
Hi there,

Are you still active as Official Rep ? Quite apart from Registry losing my docs, I am now in an unfair queue it seems because they failed to see the docs attached when I sent them on the same day, 16th of June. They have apologised, and said they would be sent (as I had to resend them) on the 22nd of June (ie I resent the original email with the attachments). So far, all I have had is a reply email saying that the department is running late.

I see some kids here saying that the list of schools you work with is visible. Where is this list. So far, SD and all the ITT providers have been v. "hermetic" about these schools. I found an old list for Goldsmiths, I asked whether the schools were still there (if they were, how come I was told I could not train at a specific one which was "full" for St Mary's and on the list for Goldsmiths. No reply. Waited for two weeks, no reply. Yes, we are in lockdown, but applicants need an answer fast even, whether yes or no, to make plans or approach another provider. I did not decide to apply this late if I had not been messed about by a SCITT and their malevolent handmaidens.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending