The Student Room Group

Trouble with coasting

I am learning to drive and have an issue with coasting, I know it is bad as you are not in control of the vehicle. When I approach a junction I obviously have to slow down and that can mean changing from 5th gear to 2nd gear. My instructor says it's bad to go from 5th to 2nd and that I should work my way down the gears. The problem is I press down the clutch change to 4th, then have to gradually lift the clutch back up to prevent the car from jerking, then clutch back down to 3rd then gradually back up etc. The time I reach the junction I am just going to fast. I tried keeping the clutch down for the motion and just switching the gears and I was told that none of the gear changes worked. How can I get better at this?

Can I afford to just slow the car down while in 5th and then just change to 3rd close to the junction and then select 2nd?

I have a similar problem when moving off I am in 1st release clutch, then quickly back on the clutch into 2nd again. When I change the gear while just driving I get told that I leave the clutch pressed into long, I know I do this but I find when I release the clutch the car jerks and stutters. My instructor says I need to lift off the clutch smoother, but when I do he says I need to let go of it sooner otherwise I am coasting...any advice?
Really not a driving expert by any means but I feel that if you need to jump from 5th to 2nd, you're not anticipating enough about what's ahead of you. You should be looking ahead to see the junction in the distance, and gradually slow down, as opposed to slamming on the brakes a couple hundred metres away from the junction (which could also be dangerous for cars behind you).
Original post by OwlOfFire
I am learning to drive and have an issue with coasting, I know it is bad as you are not in control of the vehicle. When I approach a junction I obviously have to slow down and that can mean changing from 5th gear to 2nd gear. My instructor says it's bad to go from 5th to 2nd and that I should work my way down the gears. The problem is I press down the clutch change to 4th, then have to gradually lift the clutch back up to prevent the car from jerking, then clutch back down to 3rd then gradually back up etc. The time I reach the junction I am just going to fast. I tried keeping the clutch down for the motion and just switching the gears and I was told that none of the gear changes worked. How can I get better at this?

Can I afford to just slow the car down while in 5th and then just change to 3rd close to the junction and then select 2nd?

I have a similar problem when moving off I am in 1st release clutch, then quickly back on the clutch into 2nd again. When I change the gear while just driving I get told that I leave the clutch pressed into long, I know I do this but I find when I release the clutch the car jerks and stutters. My instructor says I need to lift off the clutch smoother, but when I do he says I need to let go of it sooner otherwise I am coasting...any advice?

It all comes with practice and muscle memory. Wonder how people stick it in gear and move off almost instantly? Well it's down to the driver just knowing where his foot will be when the clutch bites. Once you've practised enough it becomes almost second nature and much quicker.

I'd recommend going to an empty car park and just driving around on the clutch. Practise stopping and starting at slow speeds where clutch control is important.

Also, to stop the car jerking when changing gears whilst decelerating, try 'blipping' the throttle to bring the revs up a bit so the transmission and engine aren't spinning at largely different speeds when you re-engage the clutch. When you let the clutch out, the transmission spins with the wheels and the engine becomes disconnected so the jerkiness is the engine causing resistance to the transmission/wheels.
This is likely on a different skill level to you at the moment and most drivers don't do it, but it is more comfortable and easier on your clutch/flywheel. It's called Rev-matching - plenty of Youtube videos on it.

Hope this helped, and if you have anyyyy spare rep, I'd appreciate it as I'm a bit of a rep hoarder :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by TheConfusedMedic
Really not a driving expert by any means but I feel that if you need to jump from 5th to 2nd, you're not anticipating enough about what's ahead of you. You should be looking ahead to see the junction in the distance, and gradually slow down, as opposed to slamming on the brakes a couple hundred metres away from the junction (which could also be dangerous for cars behind you).

I mean when I am coming off a dual carriageway I can't really slow down well clear of the junction as I have to keep up with the traffic. I know the junction is coming up but I struggle to prepare myself for it. Especially when I have the clutch down and the car picks up speed as I am coasting.
Original post by OwlOfFire

You can stick it from 5th to 3rd, and to stop it from jerking use a method called "rev matching". Rev matching is where you match the revs of the engine to the clutch. You'll have to add a little bit of throttle, and then release the clutch (it's very simple).

Going from 5th to 2nd can be risky if you're still going quite fast, as it can seriously mess up the engine. (it's called "Money shifting")

And when you're putting your clutch in, whilst you're in 1st gear, are you completely off the accelerator?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending